New Cougar owner

The last of the fire breathing big block Cougars were built in 1971. They featured the 429 Cobra Jet engine, and carried one of the highest factory horsepower ratings (370!) of any Cougar ever built. Sadly the times were not right and only a handful were built. The '71 Cobra Jet Registry is maintained by Mitch Lewis.
muppet501st
Registered Member
Posts: 28
Joined: 24 Aug 2018, 18:56

New Cougar owner

#1

Post by muppet501st »

Hi,
Have recently purchased my first Cougar, a 1971 XR7 429CJ.
Im still waiting on my Marti report, but after researching, am pretty confident the vehicle is all original.
Last registered back in 1993, the owner has passed, and the widow doenst know a great deal about its history. The engine has been removed- she remembers it driving fine, but thinks it was removed to freshen up.
Being RHD, not sure who did the conversion, but i dont think there are many of these versions in Australia.
Plan is to rebuild the motor, and get back on the road.
How many 71 XR7 429 CJs were made ?

ImageImageImage[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/seymour_ ... x.jpg.html]ImageImage[/URL]
ImageImageImage[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/seymour_ ... 6.jpg.html]Image[/URL]ImageImage
User avatar
badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 2722
Joined: 29 Nov 2011, 14:13
Location: Camano Island WA

Re: New Cougar owner

#2

Post by badcatt »

154 XR-7 hardtops were built with the C code 429CJ non ram air and a C6 automatic. it looks like 448 total 429CJs were built.Numbers from Kevin Marti'd book "Cougar, by the numbers" You have a cool and rare Cougar there. I would love to see some pictures of the RHD conversion and the dash.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior (For Sale)
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
.
- Mark Twain -
muppet501st
Registered Member
Posts: 28
Joined: 24 Aug 2018, 18:56

Re: New Cougar owner

#3

Post by muppet501st »

badcatt wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 08:35 154 XR-7 hardtops were built with the C code 429CJ non ram air and a C6 automatic. it looks like 448 total 429CJs were built.Numbers from Kevin Marti'd book "Cougar, by the numbers" You have a cool and rare Cougar there. I would love to see some pictures of the RHD conversion and the dash.
Thankyou Badcatt, im guessing not many of the 154 made their way downunder. Im trying to find out more history, but all i have from the previous owner is that it was owned by a police lady in New South Wales.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
70b302cat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2011, 13:08

Re: New Cougar owner

#4

Post by 70b302cat »

It will be interesting to see the Marti report.
Your DSO is 97 which is an export code, so it was originally built to leave the US. Did you also order the "Eminger" invoice?
Dave

Eliminator Registrar eliminator@cougarclub.org
Mercury Cougar Eliminator Registry

CCOA # 7558
CCNE # 08

70 Convertible 351C 4V Close ratio
70 Cyclone Spoiler 429 SCJ 4 speed Drag Pak
70 Eliminator B302 4V Close ratio
70 Eliminator B302 4V Wide ratio Super Drag Pak Cat
70 Eliminator 428 SCJ 4 speed Drag Pak
User avatar
badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Posts: 2722
Joined: 29 Nov 2011, 14:13
Location: Camano Island WA

Re: New Cougar owner

#5

Post by badcatt »

muppet501st wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 15:09
badcatt wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 08:35 154 XR-7 hardtops were built with the C code 429CJ non ram air and a C6 automatic. it looks like 448 total 429CJs were built.Numbers from Kevin Marti'd book "Cougar, by the numbers" You have a cool and rare Cougar there. I would love to see some pictures of the RHD conversion and the dash.
Thankyou Badcatt, im guessing not many of the 154 made their way downunder. Im trying to find out more history, but all i have from the previous owner is that it was owned by a police lady in New South Wales.
The RHD swap looks very professionally done. And it was originally owned by a police officer and a lady one too. I bet that car has some stories to tell.
I hope you can document some of them. Keep us updated on the resurrection of this one.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior (For Sale)
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
.
- Mark Twain -
muppet501st
Registered Member
Posts: 28
Joined: 24 Aug 2018, 18:56

Re: New Cougar owner

#6

Post by muppet501st »

70b302cat wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 15:23 It will be interesting to see the Marti report.
Your DSO is 97 which is an export code, so it was originally built to leave the US. Did you also order the "Eminger" invoice?
Have only ordered the Deluxe report. What is the Eminger ?
muppet501st
Registered Member
Posts: 28
Joined: 24 Aug 2018, 18:56

Re: New Cougar owner

#7

Post by muppet501st »

muppet501st wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 16:40
70b302cat wrote: 26 Aug 2018, 15:23 It will be interesting to see the Marti report.
Your DSO is 97 which is an export code, so it was originally built to leave the US. Did you also order the "Eminger" invoice?
Have only ordered the Deluxe report. What is the Eminger ?
Just realised what it was. I did receive an email from Marti saying they may have it. So I will order it
User avatar
leonbray
Registered Member
Posts: 1125
Joined: 19 Jan 2011, 00:01
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: New Cougar owner

#8

Post by leonbray »

Nice conversion. Most just had an XC GXL dash installed, Someone took the time to do a proper conversion on the panel and crash pad
Designed to be driven
muppet501st
Registered Member
Posts: 28
Joined: 24 Aug 2018, 18:56

Re: New Cougar owner

#9

Post by muppet501st »

leonbray wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 03:02 Nice conversion. Most just had an XC GXL dash installed, Someone took the time to do a proper conversion on the panel and crash pad
Hey Leonbray, just noticed your location, Brisbane. Im also in Brisbane. Is there a local Mercury car club? Im current in the Bayside Vintage Restorers Car Club with my other cars.
User avatar
leonbray
Registered Member
Posts: 1125
Joined: 19 Jan 2011, 00:01
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: New Cougar owner

#10

Post by leonbray »

muppet501st wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 17:33
leonbray wrote: 27 Aug 2018, 03:02 Nice conversion. Most just had an XC GXL dash installed, Someone took the time to do a proper conversion on the panel and crash pad
Hey Leonbray, just noticed your location, Brisbane. Im also in Brisbane. Is there a local Mercury car club? Im current in the Bayside Vintage Restorers Car Club with my other cars.
Hi

There isn't a Mercury club in Brisbane but a few of us have joined Thunderbirds of Queensland (TOQinc)
Designed to be driven
Post Reply

Return to “The 1971 429 Cobra Jet Registry”