I have a sun roof question

There were only 619 XR7-Gs built. They were built along side the Shelby Mustang, and were available with every engine and transmission offered in 1968, (except the 427). This was the first Cougar to be a part of the Hertz Rent a Racer program. If you have any information about these rare cats, this is the place to share. The XR7-G registry is maintained by Royce Peterson.
Royce
Registered Member

Re: I have a sun roof question

Post by Royce »

The XR7-G has the sun visor plastic center mount attached to the overhead console with a 1/2" spacer that AO Smith made from a block of wood covered with vinyl to match the Ohead console. Not sure if I have a picture.
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar
Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce »

Just checked I don't have a picture of the spacer. However I might have a good overhead console.
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar
68 hertz
Registered Member

Post by 68 hertz »

Yours looks a little different, mine is like Bosselim69 ,wccc did have listened the piece between the sun visor holder and console, Phillip may have it but just can’t see it, mine is metal.
Randy ,Syracuse NY
propayne
Registered Member

Post by propayne »

The pic I posted earlier is someone elses' XR7-G, not mine.

My G doesn't currently have the headliner and overhead console installed.

Attached is another pic I took of a very original G that was at Carlisle one year.

- Phillip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
olin
Registered Member

Post by olin »

Thanks to everyone who posted here. The photos are all encouraging because now I know it can be done to look good. I think a previous owner must have changed the sunroof drive mechanism and that changed the geometry of how the console would mount. Obviously I'll have to find a sunroof expert in Colorado! Any thoughts or suggestions?
propayne
Registered Member

Post by propayne »

This is absolutely no help to you but -

This is a sign I drive by every time I go from our host hotel to the show field at Carlisle during the Ford Nationals show.

Been driving by this sign for years and finally stopped to look around and take some pics - obvious that they have been closed for many years.

God how I would love to be able to drive my XR7-G in there and have them service my sunroof!

- Phillip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.