Synthetic oil

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
dave84
Registered Member

Synthetic oil

Post by dave84 »

Good Morning, been searching for a a thread here about synthetic oil. I've reached the stage of my build where it's time for fluids. The guys at Advance were educating me on synthetic oil as I'm cautious about not using traditional 10w30 in any classic motor. My 351w is stock internals, best to my knowledge from 69. Advance doesn't stock any traditional oil with zinc, but two of the guys I talk to regularly were explaining full synthetic is OK to run due to the positive nature of conditioners added to synthetic. I purchased Castro Edge full synthetic 10w30, 6 quarts, but before I change my oil, what do you experienced guys have to say? As well, 5qts including filter is the correct Capacity?
guitar74
Registered Member

Re: Synthetic oil

Post by guitar74 »

I put a zinc additive in mine regardless of what oil I run, synthetic or otherwise. The higher your valve spring rates the more it becomes necessary. I wouldn't trust the first thing the guys at my Advance say. At least around here they just parrot what a rep tells them. I say use a zinc additive unless you're running Red Line Brad Penn Royal Purple. Or you could just use rotella as it has all the zinc your flat tappet cam could desire.
dave84
Registered Member

Post by dave84 »

I felt the same way, going to order valvoline vr1 10w30 from amazon prime, 6qts for $36 and returning the synthetic.
ClawIt
Registered Member

Post by ClawIt »

Check out Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic, it was mentioned on a forum that it contains ZDDP???
dave84
Registered Member

Post by dave84 »

I saw through another site http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index ... ic=65068.0 that VR1 is good to use. 5th post of this site. Now, on other forums I've been yelled at for other brands. Hope we can all be big boys and focus on the information provided and not that it's a Charger site lol. Just messing around.
1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert »

You can also use any modern oil you like/can get and add this: http://www.kirbanperformance.com/produc ... ITIVE.html

I have a fair number of bottles left over from before I went to the full roller 408C. If you would like some, get in touch.

Regards,

Robert
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"
guitar74
Registered Member

Post by guitar74 »

ClawIt wrote: 20 Jun 2017, 07:54 Check out Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic, it was mentioned on a forum that it contains ZDDP???
Here's a link with a chart showing zinc and phosphorous levels for different Mobil 1 Synthetics:https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pv ... -guide.pdf
decarguy
Registered Member

Post by decarguy »

For everyone's information: the Brad Penn green motor oil with high ZDDP is being rebranded as Penn Grade High Performance. Still produced in the same factory in Bradford, PA and same green color. My local shop still has the old Brad Penn containers but expect the new containers soon.
decarguy
1968 Cougar, Base 302 2V, Red

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz »

My engine builder highly recommended Joe Gibbs Racing oil (now known as Driven), says it's all he uses. I have their break-in oil still in my car and will probably use one of their 10w-30 options after the first 500 miles. They have both synthetic and conventional, all with high zinc content. Price looks to be around $10/qt., so not cheap, but no additives will be needed.

Here's a link to the converntional 10w-30: http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/hr2- ... w-224html/

And the synthetic: http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/hr4- ... 0w-227html
-Andrew Chenovick
Former Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY
YouTube Channel: Andrew Does Car Stuff

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1992 Volvo 240 wagon: classy hauling machine
guitar74
Registered Member

Post by guitar74 »

Both are Penn and Gibbs are good oils. If you're looking for oil with high amounts of zinc and phosphate and not spend a small fortune on an oil change, the Shell Rotella is a VERY good conventional that is designed to protect industrial engines so it will hold up to the demands of our muscle cars. Harley Davidson oil is also Hugh in ZDDP, but priced like everything HD (in Harley circles stand for Hundred Dollars). The Penn Gibbs Redline, Royal Purple are ALL cheaper than Harley. At least with all of our suggestions you now have a MYRIAD of choices.

Return to “Classic Cougar Maintenance Restoration and Repair”