New Cougar Fastback Renderings

So CatVert’s thread on the actual 1st Gen fastback project reminded me that I never posted these Photoshop renderings I did a while back. I discovered a dealer that took consistent photos in the same environment from the same angles, so I was able to blend things together pretty well.

I think the 2nd Gen Cougar bodystyle really lends itself to the equivalent year Mustang sportsroof. While the rear of the Cougar does stretch out farther back than the Mustang, a skilled metal worker could figure out a way to make it all flow together. Maybe the roof needs to be lengthened, or the quarters shortened? Dunno.

I love this angle - look at how the slope of the roof echoes the sloping body line.

At first I thought a 70 Eliminator treatment would be the way to go, but I’m really digging this clean, elegant 69 look.

But here’s a 70 Eliminator version, which would be pretty damn cool as well.

So, hopefully this will convince someone to build a 2nd Gen Cougar fastback. Get to it!

While I’m at it, I might as well also post the 1st gen renderings I did at the same time.

The thing I did here, which is at lot easier in Photoshop compared to real life, is that I blended the upper section of the Mustang quarter panel into that of the Cougar. The shape looks a bit more “right” this way. Also I like retaining the entire Mustang roof line, rather than keeping the Cougar quarter windows.

Here’s a couple 50/50 views:

And a “finished” version from the back 3/4:

So there ya go! It’s a cool concept and I hope to see both versions pulled off someday.

Nice renderings Anderw. Aomeone is building a 70 Cougar fastback. He has been posting on Facebook. If I can find it I’ll copy and past his pictures here.

I’d sure like to have your Photoshop skills, those are great. When I saw the first few pics I immediately thought that, yea this looks good on the 2nd generation but not likely on the 1st. Then I saw the remaining pics and I like them all.

Someone already built the 2nd gen Andrew. They called it a Torino.

There is someone with an ad on Craigslist local to me that is selling what they claim is a fast back 70 Cougar. There are no pictures, which is pretty suspicious, and they are also asking for a chunk of change for something they will only give more info for if, and only if, you send your phone number.
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5762077964.html

Someone’s actually doing it! http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?112249-A-little-Cougstang-progress

That picture looks really good. I hope they post more pictures of the conversion to the sports roof.

Steven