Canadian GT-E Found

The GT-E was only available for a few brief months in 1968. Total production would not have kept the assembly line busy for more than a half day. If you know anything about a GT-E, it is important, and this is the place to share it. The GT-E registry is maintained by Jim Pinkerton.
Don Rush
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Canadian GT-E Found

Post by Don Rush »

What a rewarding experience. Kim got to reunite the original owner with his recently refreshed race car.
kim7.jpg
kim6.jpg
kim5.jpg
kim4.JPG
kim3.JPG
kim2.JPG
kim1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fordnutz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by fordnutz »

That is freeking awesome!!!!
Thanks, Scott Ferguson
President, Fordnutz Cougar Club
E-mail President@Fordnutz.org
Visit the Fordnutz Cougar Club on the web http://www.fordnutz.org
Past Chairman, Cascade Cougar Club
http://www.CascadeCougarClub.com
Past Chairman, Cougar Club of America
http://www.cougarclub.org

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 »

That’s really heart warming. Great job Kim!
Bill Basore,

Fuel Sender Rebuilding, Gauge Testers, and Reproduction Cougar Parts:
Desert Classic Parts
The only magazine ever dedicated to the Classic Mercury Cougar
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry
Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT »

Oh man, that is so friggin' cool!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!
ultimatecougar
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ultimatecougar »

That is fantastic Kim, you must have really made Jack's day/year! I'm glad that you were able to find the starter delay relay in his basement, thank goodness it was still there after all these years. I look forward to getting the two Canadian delivered R-code GT-E's together soon.
Registered Member

Post by 3428 »

thanks guys.Jack did not know that we were coming to town. a couple of jacks lifelong friends chris and dave knew we were coming and set it up so we could park the car in daves shop. chris then went to pickup jack for lunch and told jack "lets grab dave too" in the meantime about 6 or 7 of jacks friends showed up . jack is a man of few words so when they showed up at the shop door he said something like "what the hells goin on here" then he started smiling and slowly made a trip around the car and came up with with "a little cleaner than last time i saw it"

so jack and i went for a 20 minute drive and he didnt say much but he had a smile on his face. we all went for lunch and after that jack let me go through his dimly lit basement. he said "its a mess, you wont find nothin down there. im gonna watch football" so after about an hour i came up with a few spare cougar parts and a few more things like full 50 year old cans of quaker state 40w motor oil, 16 bent pushrods, isky parts in boxes. the over the top pc was the starter delay relay which was on a bench under about 2 ft of misc household stuff! then went upstairs and jack gave me 12 of his drag racing trophies. he had a lot. the car with jack at the wheel were consistent winners running 12.50s back in the day.

spent the rest of the day and the next day hangin around with jack and his many friends before heading home. special thanks to chris for setting all this up and being our tour guide in powell river ( we went on some garage tours while we were there. there is a lot of amazing talent in this small town ) thanks to dave for letting me park a ford product in his chevy shop! again! and real special thanks to jack for preserving this car and allowing me to be the next caretaker of this piece of history!
badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt »

Kim,
I really like that you saved the racer and Class marking on the window. Is it still on the drivers window too?
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior (For Sale)
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -
Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce »

Kim I daresay you might have had a better day than Jack. Treasure the memories and I hope you took lots of pictures.

3428 wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 08:08 thanks guys.Jack did not know that we were coming to town. a couple of jacks lifelong friends chris and dave knew we were coming and set it up so we could park the car in daves shop. chris then went to pickup jack for lunch and told jack "lets grab dave too" in the meantime about 6 or 7 of jacks friends showed up . jack is a man of few words so when they showed up at the shop door he said something like "what the hells goin on here" then he started smiling and slowly made a trip around the car and came up with with "a little cleaner than last time i saw it"

so jack and i went for a 20 minute drive and he didnt say much but he had a smile on his face. we all went for lunch and after that jack let me go through his dimly lit basement. he said "its a mess, you wont find nothin down there. im gonna watch football" so after about an hour i came up with a few spare cougar parts and a few more things like full 50 year old cans of quaker state 40w motor oil, 16 bent pushrods, isky parts in boxes. the over the top pc was the starter delay relay which was on a bench under about 2 ft of misc household stuff! then went upstairs and jack gave me 12 of his drag racing trophies. he had a lot. the car with jack at the wheel were consistent winners running 12.50s back in the day.

spent the rest of the day and the next day hangin around with jack and his many friends before heading home. special thanks to chris for setting all this up and being our tour guide in powell river ( we went on some garage tours while we were there. there is a lot of amazing talent in this small town ) thanks to dave for letting me park a ford product in his chevy shop! again! and real special thanks to jack for preserving this car and allowing me to be the next caretaker of this piece of history!
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar
Registered Member

Post by 3428 »

thanks neil and yes the numbers are on both side windows. they were on the windshield also but for driving they were a little distracting. Also loo was tired of looking through the 99 circles!

royce it was a great day that we will not soon forget. Thanks again for your help when i called you to try and figure out some of the bits about setting up the car. appreciate it. kim

Will try and post more pics soon if i can figure it out
jcbingcougar
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by jcbingcougar »

Wonderful way to wrap up this story. Really looking forward to seeing this car in person sometime soon. Great job, Kim!
Jeff Bingaman
1970 Cougar
1956 Ford F100
1960 Dodge Phoenix
2017 Mustang GT Premium
2017 F150 Platinum