The "HOW TO" Video thread

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
Blitz
Registered Member

Re: The "HOW TO" Video thread

Post by Blitz »

Wow, I haven't updated this in a while. I'll pick and choose some of the how-to videos we've done since my last post in this thread.

Upgrading your 67-70 Cougar's cooling system to the best factory-style setup:

Replacing the window regulators in a 67-68 Cougar:

Fuel system overhaul on a car that's been sitting for years ('68 Cougar XR7-G in this case):

Convertible top replacement! This is a very in-depth video done by a pro who has been doing this forever. Shown is a '71 Cougar but the same overall concepts apply to 69-70, just know some measurements will be different. Honestly IMO this video proved to me that this is the type of thing to take to a professional and not attempt myself...

Heater core replacement on a '67-'68 with A/C. Many have been waiting for this one for a while. It's a big job but you can do it!

Here's a super easy way for '67-'68 Cougar owners to keep their grilles looking good and straight:

Windshield installation on a '68:

Anyway there are some others I left out, so as always I suggest having a look at the WCCC YouTube channel. If you subscribe, you'll get an email whenever we upload a new video. I don't feel bad about promoting this because we're the only place currently making information-rich videos that pertain solely to classic Cougars, and we don't monetize them (the only ads you'll see on our vidoes are from when I accidentally used music that wasn't royalty-free. Oops :mrgreen: )
-Andrew Chenovick
Former Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY
YouTube Channel: Andrew Does Car Stuff

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1992 Volvo 240 wagon: classy hauling machine
Bluestuff
Registered Member

Post by Bluestuff »

there always seems to be a lot on 67-68 but very little on 69-70 and almost nothing on 71-73 ?
How about more of the later stuff ok ?
Cougars_R_Grr8
Registered Member

Post by Cougars_R_Grr8 »

Pretty decent results:
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 2v F Code ***In Progress***
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 4v J Code 4 spd (1 of 536) *SOLD*
whitelightning777
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

trouble shoot power steering leak

Post by whitelightning777 »

It looks like it's leaking from all hoses at the valve that goes to the pump and the power cylinder.

Does trying to tighten the hoses work to fix it?

The leak only happens when the engine is running or actually turning the wheels.

Which hose is the most likely culprit?
1968 cougar base model w 302 + C4 tranny & open rear end.
whitelightning777
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

The TFE way to play your cell phone through an 8 track radio.

Yes, it actually works.

1. Get an 8 track to cassette tape adapter.

2. Get a 3.5mm jack to cassette tape adapter.

3. If necessary, notch the cassette adapter to prevent the cord from interfering with the cassette & door closing.

4. Notch one or both corners of the 8 track to cassette tape adapter door so the cord can exit with the door fully closed & not rubbing.

It inflicts zero cutting or modifications on the vehicle & the cassette adapter will pay normal cassette tapes, no problem.

Yes, I realize that this might look dumb while installed & 8 track to cassette converters ain't easy to find. Still, you can always throw the thing under the seat if you're embarrassed to be seen with it.

Of course, I'm running my fuzz buster & charging my phone from the cigarette lighter (engine must run or else disaster) so its not like wires aren't already all over the place.
whitelightning777
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Bluestuff wrote: 10 May 2019, 16:32 there always seems to be a lot on 67-68 but very little on 69-70 and almost nothing on 71-73 ?
How about more of the later stuff ok ?
You can still get great deals on these in terms of finding & buying one. They also have some technical improvements over the 1st generation.

They had the 351 Cleveland standard & could also accept a 429/460 Ford big block, but these were only offered OEM in 1971. All these have canted valves in the cylinder heads giving a lot more power, even in the 2v versions.

One of these can easily become a fire breathing monster sleeper without too much trouble. There is some interchangeable parts with the 71-73 mustang, but almost look like Lincoln vehicles for some reason.

Return to “Classic Cougar Maintenance Restoration and Repair”