CCOA Membership

Do you have questions about the CCOA? Want to know how to join? Need information about shows and schedules? This is the place to go.
xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CCOA Membership

Post by xr7g428 »

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it seems like owning a Cougar, being a Cougar collector, seems a lot more legitimate because there is a national club. I think it is important for there to be an entity that is dedicated to the preservation of the history and heritage of our cars. The internet has been great for Cougar owners, and not so good for the club. Where the club was once the single best source of information, it is now just one of many. I think that Bill Pratt hit the nail on the head when he said that the club needs to find new ways to stay relevant. I believe it is relevant, but the value story has changed. Maybe we can get Randy and a few of the other board members interested in talking about what can be done.

Unless you have read the bylaws you might not be aware of the fact that people who are commercially involved in the Cougar hobby, like myself, are not allowed to serve as officers. This is as it should be. We can can be dues paying members, and that is as it should be too.
Bill Basore,

Fuel Sender Rebuilding, Gauge Testers, and Reproduction Cougar Parts:
Desert Classic Parts
The only magazine ever dedicated to the Classic Mercury Cougar
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry
MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MrEos »

Lots of comments. Hopefully I'm catching them all in the following. Keep in mind, membership in the CCOA is voluntary, and is not required to participate in any show or to submit VINs to the registry. Not everyone will consider membership worthwhile.

Financial reports are published quarterly in the newsletter. Most of the expenses are related to the newsletter, basic office supplies and postage for membership renewals/new members. CCOA did not purchase insurance - I think we dropped the ball on that and are fortunate there have been no claims. We haven't had nominations & elections (or coups) since I've been on the Board. The Board's consensus has been that we have an open Board seat (Club Relations) if someone wants to apply. There have been calls for volunteers and another is being written for the next newsletter.

Stu and Suds from the CCNJ/PA are probably the best people to ask about shows/judging. I really haven't been involved in that - other than providing mailing lists and such. I know Bill Quay (CCOA VP) was asked for some interpretations of the rules which he brought to the Board. The CCOA has not received any requests for sponsorship of National or Regional shows for 2012. Stu mentioned on mc.net that the CCNJ/PA isn't doing one for '12. The Board has discussed, but made no decision on, increasing the sponsorship amount since it hasn't been adjusted for many years and our fund balance has grown. The CCOA does not have annual or monthly meetings or cruise ins. Membership being spread across the US and 10 countries makes that problematic. Randy usually has a gathering at Carlisle, but I don't think those are "official" CCOA meetings.

The discussion about relevance has been going on for a long time. There have been numerous threads on mc.net, curb, yahoo, etc. about what the CCOA could/would/should do. There never has been a shortage of ideas. There have been problems moving the ball forward... it seems like something breaks as soon as the last thing that broke gets fixed. Sort of like owning a 40 year old car. Currently, the website needs some work and the volunteer webmaster's life has been consumed with other things. The Board is planning a Request for Proposals that will include compensation. That might be a first for the Club. Sponsoring other projects might be a way of staying relevant and showing some quid pro quo.

The CCOA does have a conflict of interest policy, but it doesn't prohibit those with commercial interests from serving on the Board or in volunteer positions. It does put some restrictions on dealings between the CCOA and any commercial entity in which a director has an interest - basically requiring full disclosure and majority vote of disinterested directors. To my knowledge, the situation has never come up.

So... all that... a glossy membership card and a window decal... pretty sweet, eh?
xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 »

Don't sell the CCOA too short. I happen to know the TEMPORARY newsletter editor and he does a pretty darn good job.
Bill Basore,

Fuel Sender Rebuilding, Gauge Testers, and Reproduction Cougar Parts:
Desert Classic Parts
The only magazine ever dedicated to the Classic Mercury Cougar
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry
1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert »

:think: I would like to nominate Helena as being uniquely qualified for both the Club Relations and Webmaster slots...

(ducking to avoid incoming projectile objects)
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"
fordnutz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by fordnutz »

xr7g428 wrote: Unless you have read the bylaws you might not be aware of the fact that people who are commercially involved in the Cougar hobby, like myself, are not allowed to serve as officers. This is as it should be. We can can be dues paying members, and that is as it should be too.
I think if you were to take a look at current and past CCOA BOD members you will see that many have been involved in the Cougar hobby commercially, including the present Chairperson Randy Goodling. There is nothing wrong with that just as long as they are not using their club position to further their business interests at the detriment of the club.
Thanks, Scott Ferguson
President, Fordnutz Cougar Club
E-mail President@Fordnutz.org
Visit the Fordnutz Cougar Club on the web http://www.fordnutz.org
Past Chairman, Cascade Cougar Club
http://www.CascadeCougarClub.com
Past Chairman, Cougar Club of America
http://www.cougarclub.org

Al Bundy
Registered Member

Post by Al Bundy »

The CCOA should offer a lifetime membership option.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue - SOLD
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black
MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MrEos »

Al Bundy wrote:The CCOA should offer a lifetime membership option.
1. What do you think would be a fair price for that?

B. What happens when half the Board quits and the newsletter stops being published (as has happened a couple of times).

3. Lifetime honorary memberships have been presented to 8 members over the years. So that option exists for those wanting to nominate someone for 'above & beyond' contributions to the Club and hobby.
Al Bundy
Registered Member

Post by Al Bundy »

What would be a fair price? I don't know, at $25/yr how about $250? The equivalent of 10 years, but not really because the club gets it all up front. Interruptions in service could happen I suppose. Unless the club is disbanded the membership should remain valid. Honorary memberships are a great idea, but that's not really an option for most of us.

I realize I'm speaking as sort of an outsider here since I am not a member. But I actually went to the website to sign up last week and that was the first thing I looked for was a lifetime membership. Obviously it wasn't there. So I thought I would offer it up as a suggestion. Yes I would purchase one and no it probably wouldn't stop me from joining if it wasn't made available.

And by the way, I couldn't connect to the site earlier today.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue - SOLD
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black
Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce »

Got this in the mail from the CCOA yesterday:

1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar
68PUMA
Registered Member

Post by 68PUMA »

I also received my decal yesterday. John
1968 XR7 F-Code (302-2V), C4, Polar White (M), Dark Red Leather (6D), 23U, 46, 5, W, PS, A/C, CCOA #8579, MACC, Under Restoration

Return to “The CCOA public discussion area”