CCOA Membership

Do you have questions about the CCOA? Want to know how to join? Need information about shows and schedules? This is the place to go.
MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

CCOA Membership

Post by MrEos »

Greetings:

As you may already know, I'm the Membership Services Director and Temporary Editor of club's newsletter, At the Sign of the Cat. Thanks, Bill, for providing a forum for folks interested in the Cougar Club of America.

Joining the CCOA is easy. Just go to CCOA Membership webpage and use the PayPal button, or print and mail the form.

Annual Membership comes in several flavors:

~Free for members who submit a substantial article for the newsletter, or serve in a volunteer position;
~$20 for members who receive the newsletter by email;
~$30 for members who receive the newsletter by postal mail to a U.S. address;
~$35 for members who receive the newsletter by postal mail to a non-U.S. address.

Here's a back-issue sample of the newsletter April 2011 Atsotc

The Cougar Club of America is dedicated to the appreciation and preservation of the Mercury Cougar. All years and models are welcome, and ownership of a Cougar is not required.

Regards,
Rob
Last edited by MrEos on 19 Jun 2014, 18:01, edited 3 times in total.
Al Bundy
Registered Member

Re: CCOA Membership

Post by Al Bundy »

Rob I think it would be helpful to give a brief synopsis on what the CCOA does for the hobby. Aside from a great newsletter, what else do they do?
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue - SOLD
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black
MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MrEos »

Good question, Al. The Club is just a bunch of people who like Cougars. It's all volunteer, so the only things that get done are the things someone does. It's a lot like a sewer... you get out of it pretty much what you put into it. It's a non-profit organization, so it has perpetual existence - no one can take their ball and go home or sell out to the high bidder. The other side of that coin is a lot of people don't want to take on a project or create something they don't own. Belonging to a Club is all some people want, and with the CCOA you get a glossy membership card and window sticker to show you belong. Pretty sweet, eh?
jcbingcougar
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by jcbingcougar »

Great answer, Rob.
Jeff Bingaman
1970 Cougar
1956 Ford F100
1960 Dodge Phoenix
2017 Mustang GT Premium
2017 F150 Platinum
70mgmElim
Registered Member

Post by 70mgmElim »

Great Answer? I was thinking maybe there was something I missed about being a member. Other then the newsletter I could not see any benefit to membership. Perhaps I missed the Big picture and someone could explain.
What exactly is the membership fee used for? Why is the person in charge still the same one that did nothing from 06-09 while the club was dormant? Give me some reasons and I would renew my membership, but a card and a sticker?
70 Eliminator 351 4V 4Speed
Medium Gold w/Ginger Houndstooth
Cougars_R_Grr8
Registered Member

Post by Cougars_R_Grr8 »

Is CCOA going to be involved in shows and judging?
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 2v F Code ***In Progress***
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 4v J Code 4 spd (1 of 536) *SOLD*
1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code »

MrEos wrote:Good question, Al. The Club is just a bunch of people who like Cougars. It's all volunteer, so the only things that get done are the things someone does. It's a lot like a sewer... you get out of it pretty much what you put into it. It's a non-profit organization, so it has perpetual existence - no one can take their ball and go home or sell out to the high bidder. The other side of that coin is a lot of people don't want to take on a project or create something they don't own. Belonging to a Club is all some people want, and with the CCOA you get a glossy membership card and window sticker to show you belong. Pretty sweet, eh?
Does the CCOA have annual or monthly meetings, cruise ins? I am a member of a small car club and we get together for lunch and dinner cruises a couple of times a year. It doesn't take much from the members other than showing up. Might be an idea for members if they live close enough to each other.
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance, XR7S Taillight Bars
CatVert68
Registered Member

Post by CatVert68 »

Al Bundy wrote:Rob I think it would be helpful to give a brief synopsis on what the CCOA does for the hobby. Aside from a great newsletter, what else do they do?
Some of the value the club provides is represented by the accepted judging standards for National shows. CCOA supported the NJ/PA clubs this year when they put on the Nationals East in New Jersey. While all of the labor was provided by the NJ/PA club members, CCOA sponsorship provided insurance coverage as well as the judging sheets and organizational model.

The national database, administered by Phil Parcells, was originally a function of CCOA as were most of the registries. The lack of activity over the past several years left the registrars functioning pretty much on their own, though.

The CCOA website serves as a central reference source for vendor links that people might otherwise never find. One of the challenges for CCOA is that it may be, ironically, too open. All of the information anyone needs is available on the CCOA website, whether or not they are a member. So it's a free resource and that begs the question of value for members. Why pay dues when everything the CCOA does outside the registries is available to anyone for free?

I see the main question before clubs such as CCOA not as what value they currently offer, but what value they will offer in an age of Internet forums and readily available expert knowledge? How will they stay relevant? I don't think that question has been answered yet, nor do I think anyone is actively working on answering it. But, as Rob said, that question won't get answered unless members step up to answer it. I'll freely admit to being part of the problem. I just don't have the time or inclination to get involved, so I pay my annual dues just to know I'm providing some degree of support for the organization that exists to support the cars we enjoy. Not a great answer, but it's the only one I have at the moment.
======
CCOA Member 8302

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT, Madras Blue & Parchment w/ Parchment vinyl top
1992 F-150 2-Tone Red/White XLT/Lariat Std Cab, Long Bed
70mgmElim
Registered Member

Post by 70mgmElim »

Thank You, that filled in a lot of blanks for me.
Most of the value would be towards people who show their cars or plan to in the future.
I would guess dues also pay for website.
70 Eliminator 351 4V 4Speed
Medium Gold w/Ginger Houndstooth
mo2872
Registered Member

Post by mo2872 »

I would imagine that some of the dues cover the previously mentioned "insurance" at sponsored events, as well.
T3
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

How do you know someone is a pilot? Easy! They'll tell you!

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

Return to “The CCOA public discussion area”