67-73 Cougar Sequential Turn Signal Trouble Shooting Thread

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
Troyanthoni

Re: 67-73 Cougar Sequential Turn Signal Trouble Shooting Thread

Post by Troyanthoni »

Hello I have a 68 cougar my headlights, high beams, and breaklights work fine. I’m Trying to figure out why the turn signals, emergency lights and dash lights aren’t working.i can hear the sequential motor working in the truck and have visually seen it working just fine just not lights ??? I’ve located the k7/k5 fuse under the dash which was just dangling, I unplugged it and cleaned the three legs and reconnected it (does This need to be minted to a ground? Also located a 12v 15amp under dash switch
Which was also just dangling does this also need to be grounded ? What are my first steps to diagnosing my turns signal
Lights ?
cougarsunlimited.net
Registered Member

Post by cougarsunlimited.net »

Troyanthoni wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 20:36 Hello I have a 68 cougar my headlights, high beams, and breaklights work fine. I’m Trying to figure out why the turn signals, emergency lights and dash lights aren’t working.i can hear the sequential motor working in the truck and have visually seen it working just fine just not lights ??? I’ve located the k7/k5 fuse under the dash which was just dangling, I unplugged it and cleaned the three legs and reconnected it (does This need to be minted to a ground? Also located a 12v 15amp under dash switch
Which was also just dangling does this also need to be grounded ? What are my first steps to diagnosing my turns signal
Lights ?
Sorry for the late response, but for some reason I stopped getting notifications when updates occur to this thread.

The 1968 K5 relay must be grounded or the dash indicator lights will not flash.

If the sequential motor is running, it is getting power on the orange/green wire from the turn signal switch.
However, the contacts operated by the rotating cam are probably black with carbon. These contact board can be removed and cleaned with acetone and polished using a relay contact burnishing tool or 3000 grit sandpaper. This is typically just a temporary fix - the sequencer probably needs to be replaced with an electronic unit.

Also, check the large relay (with 14 wires) and verify that there is 12V power on the white wire during a left turn and power on the violet wire during a right turn. This relay should click when the turn signals are selected. If water has been inside the relay, the internal contacts may be corroded.
cougarsunlimited.net
Registered Member

Re: 67-73 Cougar Sequential Turn Signal Trouble Shooting Thr

motorfinger wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 20:21
cougarsunlimited.net wrote: 26 Apr 2013, 19:20
69ragtopcat wrote:I have tail lights turn lights,but no brake and hazard lights.new switch and all.have no power going to brake light switch,but all fuses are good,the only one that seems to have no power is the little 5amp one.dont know where to begin
Check the circuit breaker that feeds the brake light circuit. It controls the power for both
the brakes and hazard lights.
I have a 69 cougar and I've been looking for this little 15 C.B. for the hazards and brake lights and I cannot find it for the life of me. I have the same issue, just recently installed plasma LED with the kit from WCCC along with the flasher unit replacement. Worked for a little while, but then, all of a sudden, No flashers and No brake lights. Signals work, running light work. Front flasher lights work. I have to believe that it is this 15 C.B. Does it have to be reset or replaced?

thanks friends!!!!
Stace
On a 1969 XR7, it is mounted under the dash on the driver's side near the fuse box - look for 14ga green/red and black/yellow wires with push-on connectors. These wires exit the main 14405 harness about 6" from the fuse box.
johncaparco
Registered Member

Post by johncaparco »

I have a 1973 Cougar XR7. Original problem was flashers worked fine. Turn signals did not. rear turn signals only came on when brakes applied. If left turn signal was used brake lights would go out and it would start blinking but the front lights never worked same for right side.

Purchased complete Plasma Lighting kit, replaced Turn signal switch and both relays and circuit board. New problem Hazard light in front only come on and does not blink nothing on in the rear. No Turn signals work. When brakes are applied the lights go out on the side the turn signal indicator is in either left or right.

Does anyone know anyone that might be able to help in central Texas that I could bring the car too? Please let me know
Abelpereira

Post by Abelpereira »

So I have been through the guides and still can't quite get the turn signals to completely work on this 67. I started off with no signals at all repaired the turn signal switch that was improperly installed. So now I have right and left but only 1 and 2 the third doesn't light on either side. I tested the motor it will light a lamp on the contact for the third indicator as the motor turns. What am I missing.

Thanks in Advance Abel :wall:
cougarsunlimited.net
Registered Member

On a 1967 Cougar, the 3rd light must pass though the K10 relay in the trunk.
Check for flashing power on both yellow/black wires on the K10 relay.
If power is only on one wire, an internal relay contact is probably bad.
Jump the two yellow/black wires to verify.
cougarsunlimited.net
Registered Member

johncaparco wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 13:48 ...

Purchased complete Plasma Lighting kit, replaced Turn signal switch and both relays and circuit board. New problem Hazard light in front only come on and does not blink nothing on in the rear. No Turn signals work. When brakes are applied the lights go out on the side the turn signal indicator is in either left or right.
Did you get this problem resolved?
On the 1969-73 Cougars, the inner-most light on each side should always work because the power comes directly from the turn signal switch.
The symptoms indicate incorrect wiring, a bad turn signal switch, or fried connector pins.
thetoddg

Post by thetoddg »

No left turn signals on my 67, no front left signal/ parking light

Right Turn, brakes, taillights, emergency flashers work. The left-most two lights are noticeably dimmer
WCCC solid state unit in the trunk. All new bulbs in the rear
New signal switch installed

Getting power to both white and purple on 14 pin, but nothing on the wires going to the left lights.
Eddie67XR7
Registered Member

Post by Eddie67XR7 »

Hi
I know this isn’t about my rear signal lights but My 67 XR7’s front running/signal lights don’t work when my headlights are turned on. The turn signals work fine when activated but when I turn on the parking lights or headlights they don’t work. My rear lights work ok, no issues in the back. I’ve changed the light switch and the signal switch in the column. All the fuses are ok as well. I forgot to mention the front lights are reproductions fro WCCC. (Brand new) everything else works as it should. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
jdepalma
Registered Member

Post by jdepalma »

Hello Everyone I am new to the group and wanted know how do I get the information from Coach Jack's Sequential turn Signal trouble shooting instructions.
thk you
Joe

Return to “Classic Cougar Maintenance Restoration and Repair”