Defective New Sunvisors?

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
Cudax
Registered Member

Defective New Sunvisors?

Post by Cudax »

I was wondering if anyone has purchased any “Distinctive Industries” sunvisors & has had trouble inserting the mounting rods? I purchased a set and purchased a set of Scott Drake brackets/rods. However, the rods will not insert into the visors no way/no how. I have done everything I can think of to push them in with all my force, even going as far as to very lightly lube the rods. They just won’t fit in the visors so I was thinking maybe I have a bad set from Distintive Industries. I called the company and they had no answer other than to return them if I feel they are defective and they would inspect them prior to sending a replacement. Problem is, I purchased them quite a while ago and am beyond the return window.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Royce
Registered Member

Re: Defective New Sunvisors?

Post by Royce »

The sunvisor brackets slip into a steel tube in the sun visor. I have always had the opposite problem, the rod being too loose in the tube so the visor flips down all by itself while driving. I have to wrap the sunvisor in duct tape and then use a rubber mallet to tighten up the tube enough so it stays up while driving.

I bet yours just needs to be expanded a bit. Put duct tape on the jaws of a vise and then wrap the sunvisor in duct tape so you can really apply force without tearing anything up.
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar
Cudax
Registered Member

Re: Defective New Sunvisors?

Post by Cudax »

I could give that a try though I use so much force now that the vinyl starts to deform and I don’t want to push it any further to where I will damage it.

I might give that a try & thanks for your advise!

Return to “Classic Cougar Maintenance Restoration and Repair”