1970 Cougar Interchangeable with 1970 Mustang?

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
JRFoltz97

1970 Cougar Interchangeable with 1970 Mustang?

Post by JRFoltz97 »

Hello - new member here. Just very recently picked up a 1970 Cougar and starting the process of gathering needed parts, etc.

I tried using the search feature for my question but I'm not finding anything definitively direct about what is interchangeable with a 1970 Cougar and a 1970 Mustang. I saw a bunch of posts/replies in relation to 67-68 cougars and mustangs, but I wanted to ask if anyone knows definitively if the windshield and rear window are the same for 1970 in both Cougars and Mustangs?

The reason I ask is not so much for the windshield itself, but more for the chrome moulding pieces that go around each. If i were to order a new repro set of either mouldings for a 1970 Mustang (not fastback), would those fit on the 1970 cougar windshield and rear window? Or are they not exact matches?

If the information is needed, i have a hardtop Cougar. I believe was an RX7 (but that's based solely on a badge/emblem for the car I found in the trunk). Car is in primer and I didn't "decode" the VIN but i know it's not an Eliminator.

Thanks in advance for the assistance and I apologize for my newbie-ness. Appreciate the help.

Josh
sfhess
Registered Member

Re: 1970 Cougar Interchangeable with 1970 Mustang?

Post by sfhess »

The Fastback windshield may or may not be the same as the hardtop.

Rear window is completely different
Don Rush
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Don Rush »

You do not want the Chinese trim... Go with original.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/6 ... themeid=26
JRFoltz97

Post by JRFoltz97 »

I'm with you on using original as the preferred option...

but what if I don't have the cores to send you - the car came with only one piece of the front windshield trim in that kit of 5 pieces you put a link for and that one piece isn't really that great so I wouldn't bother sending it....

Josh
Don Rush
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Don Rush »

Good news! Someone just donated a set of cores to us minus the bottom ones and said "find these a new home!"
blue68cat
Registered Member

Post by blue68cat »

Stick with WCCC for your Cougar parts….or have a shelf with “mustang parts” that don’t fit.

Return to “Classic Cougar Maintenance Restoration and Repair”