Electrical problem

If it's mechanical, electrical or just downright confusing, this is the place to find and share answers.
MyFirstCougar

Electrical problem

Post by MyFirstCougar »

I am updating and performing needed repairs and maintenance on my 1967 Cougar - i am the original owner. The headlights, brake lights, and sequential turn signal work but the interior convenient lights and backup lights do not. I have changed bulbs and checked fuses, the problem remains. Any thoughts where the problem may be? I have thought about betting a multimeter to check voltages. My electrical skills are limited so I may need to get the car to a mechanic or the other option would be to bring it in to WCCC, I am only 35 mikes away.

Mike
Attachments
1967 Cougar
1967 Cougar
BD4C3D56-68C7-4E5F-906F-A287F35F3035.jpeg (167.29 KiB) Viewed 157 times
Gaugster
Registered Member

Re: Electrical problem

Post by Gaugster »

WCCC has a free download of the electrical schematics. I'd have a look at that and see if you can make sense of anything. I'd double check the highlighted fuses. A voltage meter could be very helpful but also confusing based on folks skills. Inspecting various connection points may be helpful. How does your ignition switch work? Rock solid or a little flaky sometimes? Might be a clue...
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (33.93 KiB) Viewed 151 times
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO
Midlife
Registered Member

Post by Midlife »

Backup lights may be due to misadjusted NSS/BU switch or a bad fuse (top horizontal one), shared with radio and sometimes PRNDL lamp.
Interior convenience lamps are trickier on Cougars than Mustangs, particularly on a XR7. Do they come on with the door opening? Headlight knob rotated fully past detent? If not, I'd suspect fuse on lower right, vertical.
Let me check your shorts!
http://midlifeharness.com
70toy
Registered Member

Post by 70toy »

I have had a glass fuse unsolder itself inside the end cap. It looked fine but didn't conduct electricity. Even getting an inexpensive 12 volt test light can help trace voltage loss issues.

Return to “Classic Cougar Maintenance Restoration and Repair”