GT-E -> Mecum Indy Fall Special, Oct 2020, Lot S81

The GT-E was only available for a few brief months in 1968. Total production would not have kept the assembly line busy for more than a half day. If you know anything about a GT-E, it is important, and this is the place to share it. The GT-E registry is maintained by Jim Pinkerton.
Royce
Registered Member

Re: GT-E -> Mecum Indy Fall Special, Oct 2020, Lot S81

Post by Royce »

I think it's a respectable amount. Could have been higher or lower. Hope Rodney had a good time too!
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar
badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt »

I was watching this go over the block today. I only wanted to watch this one. But the Red Shelby before it did bring some money. I was a little disappointed in the lack of bidders. I was hoping for a higher sales price. But it is what it is as they say.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior (For Sale)
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -
Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce »

The GT500 Shelby before it was a no sale.

badcatt wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 19:05 I was watching this go over the block today. I only wanted to watch this one. But the Red Shelby before it did bring some money. I was a little disappointed in the lack of bidders. I was hoping for a higher sales price. But it is what it is as they say.
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar
Don Rush
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Don Rush »

From Facebook.

Rarecat - Final update

Returned with an empty trailer yesterday from the Mecum Auction in Indianapolis.

Several people have asked me about my (seller’s) experience with Mecum, specifically how I thought they handled the sale.

When I originally consigned the car, they reviewed the photos submitted and were quickly and unmistakably excited to have a chance to sell my car. They waived a $500 up-charge to do a special upgraded listing.

* they featured the car on the Indy Fall Special webpage - on the first page of the lot listings.

* they parked the car right by the only entrance to the viewing area. Literally the first car you see when you enter. Parked on a carpeted area (there were only 7 cars on this carpeted viewing area)

* upon entering the area they handed everyone a color brochure. Rarecat was on the front cover.

* the announcer claimed it was THE most “clicked on” car in the entire 1,000+ car line up.

* the car finished 4th place in the top 10 ten selling price... behind a Lamborghini and a 67 split window corvette.

* my personal highlight - I asked them if I could drive the car across the block. They allowed it!
This immensely helped me calm my nerves, because it gave to something to do, rather than pacing the floor.

In retrospect, I’ve seen allot of people react saying the car should have brought more money and several folks telling me what they would have done.
I want to be clear that the reasons I decided to go to Mecum, rather than wait for Barrett Jackson are my own but please be assured it was NOT because I needed money desperately as some have speculated.

In the video clip you see a Mecum guy sticking his head into my window and begging me to drop the reserve when it hit $105k. I told him to back off... I was waiting for the bidding to stall before I would drop it. It went up to $120,000 and stalled there, so that’s when I told him to lift it.

I have told people I left there somewhere in between disappointed and jumping for joy.
I watched incredible cars sell for well under their value for 3 days. I became convinced the collector/investor market is spooked right now ahead of the election and of course the pandemic. Of course the market will recover but who really knows how long that will take?

To me, the fact the car got #4 in the top 10 highest sales in the whole event is proof cars were selling cheap. I know someone got a hell of a bargain but in the end, I’m at peace with the outcome and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole journey.

Lastly, many thanks to all of you for your support and encouragement.

Rod Creach
Don Rush
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Don Rush »

Sounds like they gave him white glove treatment and considering it was not Jan BJ prime time it did pretty good. Glad he could walk away with a feeling that it was a good experience overall and good to see a Cougar in the top 10 pricing at a major auction. Here is the video https://youtu.be/P-YbM-oAoec?t=11903
Last edited by Don Rush on 02 Nov 2020, 14:07, edited 2 times in total.
xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 »

I am split on this. I don't want to see this go down the political rabbit hole, but the election looms very large for a great many people. On the one hand selling in front of the election is probably the safest or at least the most risk adverse. On the other hand, a positive result in the election (you decide what that means to you) might give the hobby a boost. My gut feel is that between now and the first of the year we will get a first pass vaccine and some sort of stimulus package. I expect Christmas will be pretty merry. Short of some new unforeseen catastrophe, things should start getting better. At least that is what I am wishing for this year. We have done a great job of keeping this a politics free zone for the most part thanks to everyone for that.
Bill Basore,

Fuel Sender Rebuilding, Gauge Testers, and Reproduction Cougar Parts:
Desert Classic Parts
The only magazine ever dedicated to the Classic Mercury Cougar
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry
PacificaXR7GT
Registered Member

Post by PacificaXR7GT »

One thing that I saw while watching the auction live was the guy running the floor repeatedly backing off the crew trying to push the GTE off the block to the far side. I thought they really wanted to make sure this special car held center stage for as long as it needed and they gave it more time at the front and center than just about any other car that crossed the block.

I can't imagine being a seller at an event like this. I would lose my mind.
Steve
CCOA #9998
1968 XR7 GT 4 speed - Augusta Green / Dark Ivy Gold
cougarrand
Registered Member

Post by cougarrand »

Is there a video of it crossing the block? Anyone have a link?
Randy Feuillerat
67 XR7 GT 390 4V
68 390 X code XR7
68 XR7-G 302 2V
69 XR7 351 2V
70 XR7 Convt 351 2V
70 Eliminator 351 4V 4 speed
PacificaXR7GT
Registered Member

Post by PacificaXR7GT »

https://youtu.be/P-YbM-oAoec

The GTE hits the stage at 3:18:25
Steve
CCOA #9998
1968 XR7 GT 4 speed - Augusta Green / Dark Ivy Gold
BAust
Registered Member

Post by BAust »

Don Rush wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 13:03 From Facebook.

Rarecat - Final update

Returned with an empty trailer yesterday from the Mecum Auction in Indianapolis.

Several people have asked me about my (seller’s) experience with Mecum, specifically how I thought they handled the sale.

When I originally consigned the car, they reviewed the photos submitted and were quickly and unmistakably excited to have a chance to sell my car. They waived a $500 up-charge to do a special upgraded listing.

* they featured the car on the Indy Fall Special webpage - on the first page of the lot listings.

* they parked the car right by the only entrance to the viewing area. Literally the first car you see when you enter. Parked on a carpeted area (there were only 7 cars on this carpeted viewing area)

* upon entering the area they handed everyone a color brochure. Rarecat was on the front cover.

* the announcer claimed it was THE most “clicked on” car in the entire 1,000+ car line up.

* the car finished 4th place in the top 10 ten selling price... behind a Lamborghini and a 67 split window corvette.

* my personal highlight - I asked them if I could drive the car across the block. They allowed it!
This immensely helped me calm my nerves, because it gave to something to do, rather than pacing the floor.

In retrospect, I’ve seen allot of people react saying the car should have brought more money and several folks telling me what they would have done.
I want to be clear that the reasons I decided to go to Mecum, rather than wait for Barrett Jackson are my own but please be assured it was NOT because I needed money desperately as some have speculated.

In the video clip you see a Mecum guy sticking his head into my window and begging me to drop the reserve when it hit $105k. I told him to back off... I was waiting for the bidding to stall before I would drop it. It went up to $120,000 and stalled there, so that’s when I told him to lift it.

I have told people I left there somewhere in between disappointed and jumping for joy.
I watched incredible cars sell for well under their value for 3 days. I became convinced the collector/investor market is spooked right now ahead of the election and of course the pandemic. Of course the market will recover but who really knows how long that will take?

To me, the fact the car got #4 in the top 10 highest sales in the whole event is proof cars were selling cheap. I know someone got a hell of a bargain but in the end, I’m at peace with the outcome and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole journey.

Lastly, many thanks to all of you for your support and encouragement.

Rod Creach
Rod-

Kudos to you for the guts, and for the hard work you put into the car! I was disappointed but you have the right attitude and a good grasp of the reality of the current "times" and market, conditions, etc. Only so many things in life are in our control..And it's good that you had a memorable and (hopefully) memorable experience! That experience for me was a "lifetime" one. It's about a lot more than just the $ , as you said :)

And you did indeed to the entire Cougar Community proud with this car. It is just gorgeous, and it put the Cats in the limelight in a very high-profile auction and it'll be documented for a long long time. I think a lot of people are gonna say that the buyer was very smart ;)

Again, congrats to you! B
Brian Aust

1967 XR-7 GT 4 Speed

1968 GT-E XR7