GT-E -> Mecum Indy Fall Special, Oct 2020, Lot S81

The GT-E was only available for a few brief months in 1968. Total production would not have kept the assembly line busy for more than a half day. If you know anything about a GT-E, it is important, and this is the place to share it. The GT-E registry is maintained by Jim Pinkerton.
Royce
Registered Member

Re: GT-E -> Mecum Indy Fall Special, Oct 2020, Lot S81

Post by Royce »

I figured it was an in progress shot because yes I have peeked at your progress and it all seems to be very well executed. I think it is going to do very well at Indy - right in the heart of Ford country.

I take lots of pictures while disassembling the car and while assembling to help me do a good job. Taken out of context these pictures can be confusing to some observers so maybe a caption is needed or simply remove that picture from Mecum's web site.
68rarecat wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 08:38 Brian,
I totally agree. Most comments are helpful and intended to be constructive. But... saying I probably take shortcuts and maybe guilty of “Jerry rigging” is neither helpful or intended to helpful. Royce has helped me immensely with a number of constructive comments and I’ve fixed everything he suggested. He has watched this build on Facebook and so I feel sure he knows I’m not a shortcut kind of builder.
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar
TomL
Registered Member

Post by TomL »

I thought the correct term is jury-rigged, so I had to look it up. Turns out jury and jerry-rigged both are used and have a slightly different meaning.

Jury rigged is when something is done fast. Jerry-rigged is when something is done cheaply, sacrificing quality.

Learn something new every day...
1968 Cougar XR7 GT-E
W-code 427E
Nordic Blue / Dark Blue Leather
sold thru David Bricker L-M; Hollywood, CA

1968 Cougar XR7 6.5 Litre
S-code 390 GT
Nordic Blue / Dark Blue Vinyl
93RGTE
Registered Member

Post by 93RGTE »

We just can’t control ourselves can we? Pick.... pick... pick.
LOL - Beautiful car! Good luck with the sale. Dang that's a nice car!!!!!
Gary
Rickyracer1983
Registered Member

Post by Rickyracer1983 »

When you say the car is going to auction and post pictures of it for our review, you are telling us that this is how it is RIGHT NOW. We don't ASSUME, (make an ASS/of/U/and/ME) that these are "in progress" pictures, unless otherwise stated. More current pictures would also do your quality of work justice. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy when it comes to the pictures we post. I can see the attention to detail in many places. Just surprised me to see that in a critical area.
Especially when I see the little things I look for, chrome alignment, headlight covers aligned, door alignment, windows aligned, no paint over spray, etc. These are the things you have perfectly done and are the biggest pain in the butt.
68rarecat
Registered Member

Post by 68rarecat »

Hey rickyracer
Thanks for your helpful and constructive input. I genuinely appreciate it.
Firstly, I did NOT post pictures on this forum. Mecum selected these (12) photos for the listing from a group of photos that I provided. I wasn’t even a member of CCC until a friend shared the original post with some disparaging comments that followed, so I felt compelled to join so I could respond as both the owner AND builder of this car. I now freely admit, I shouldn’t have included any progress photos. The pics were sent to Mecum along with a story of a barn find rare car, painstakingly restored to its former glory. I provided a representative sampling of the parts quality that went into the build. My mistake.
The good news is, Mecum scheduled a professional photo shoot for later this week. The current photos (my pics) will be replaced with pro shots of the completed car. I expect they will be posted by next weekend.
badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt »

68rarecat wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 19:27 Hey rickyracer
Thanks for your helpful and constructive input. I genuinely appreciate it.
Firstly, I did NOT post pictures on this forum. Mecum selected these (12) photos for the listing from a group of photos that I provided. I wasn’t even a member of CCC until a friend shared the original post with some disparaging comments that followed, so I felt compelled to join so I could respond as both the owner AND builder of this car. I now freely admit, I shouldn’t have included any progress photos. The pics were sent to Mecum along with a story of a barn find rare car, painstakingly restored to its former glory. I provided a representative sampling of the parts quality that went into the build. My mistake.
The good news is, Mecum scheduled a professional photo shoot for later this week. The current photos (my pics) will be replaced with pro shots of the completed car. I expect they will be posted by next weekend.
I'll have to go look at the new pictures once on line. I like the color combination on your GT-E. I hope the auction brings you what you expect or more.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior (For Sale)
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -
gah
Registered Member

Post by gah »

Hi '68rarecat' : I'm glad this thread has come back the posted images, again. Sorry for the disparaging words; I should have waited for additional comments as put forward by members before I added mine. When you examine the concours quality of all the work done on this superb restoration, the disc brake hose in question should have elicited a question not a condemnation or an implied comment on questionable ( and unseen ) work. My apologies. Best of luck with the sale - I hope it achieves ( as it deserves ) top dollar. I expect my restoration will measure up favorably when compared to your stunning example.
Rickyracer1983
Registered Member

Post by Rickyracer1983 »

It looks to me that the workmanship, time and expertise is exceptional. You might also want to consider listing who did engine work other work and who supplied parts for it.
I use one of those signs that say, appreciation to and list them. Let the people go from there. Otherwise they might think, "oh I don't like their parts".
68rarecat
Registered Member

Post by 68rarecat »

Thanks guys. This whole journey has been a learning experience to say the least. :roll:
I asked Mecum to remove the... controversial (ha ha) photos and replaced them with two new shots. In addition, Thursday morning, a Mecum professional photographer will be here to do a formal photo shoot. They hope to have them posted by the weekend. In the mean time, they uploaded the two new photos I provided... replacing the 2 progress photos.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FS1020-44077 ... ugar-gt-e/
Rickyracer1983
Registered Member

Post by Rickyracer1983 »

Much better. By any chance do you still have the ID tags? You probably do, I just didn't see them. They're always an item that adds to the valve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.