Cougar research

This registry includes EVERY classic Cougar. Whether you Cougar is a coucours restoration, a rusty hulk or even just a door or data tag, reporting it here adds to what we know about what became of each and every Cougar. This Registry is Maintained by Phil Parcels.
Royce
Registered Member

Re: Cougar research

Post by Royce »

I like the engines in this order from best to least appealing - 428CJ, 390, 351W, 351C.

Nothing wrong with any of them but I prefer the big blocks followed by the Windsor based on power, ease of maintenance and parts availability.

The 351W is still being made today and has the most / best selection of aftermarket support, but in stock form it is a little down on power and has the worst water pump / timing chain cover design of all time.

The FE series engines are second in aftermarket support and have the easiest to service / best design water pump, oil pan and timing chain cover. Tons of aftermarket support and several manufacturers of cylinder heads, blocks, crankshafts for the FE.

The Cleveland had its supporters in the 1970's but has fallen by the wayside in terms of new parts and aftermarket support. The water pump / front cover design is not quite as bad as a Windsor but not good either.

freddingle wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 08:51 Thanks community. Great words of wisdom.

Back to the car choice itself - what are preferences out there between the 351-C, 428 Cobra Jet, and even the 390 found in 1969 models?
Does any one have any recommendations for me?

Also, it looks like the difference between the 69 and 70 is mostly cosmetic, short of the engine choices?

If I have to change my reality clock on the price, it probably means more advice on power trains would be appreciated.

Eric
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar
Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT »

freddingle wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 06:07 https://www.kloompy.com/cars/1970-mercu ... tor_i10363

Thanks for the responses. Here looks to be a reasonably priced 70 eliminator from the Ooodles website. What would be the pitfalls of this car as many tend to pop up thAT interest me.

Eric
Hi Eric,

I'll check for your email and get back to you.

Here is the real listing for the car in that link you provided...

https://www.rkmotors.com/vehicles/3451/ ... eliminator

It was sold by RK Motors a few months ago, listed for $129k. It was listed on their website and on eBay from July 2019 to Mar 2020.
Prior to that it was at Mecum Indy in May 2019 as Lot# R281. It bid to $67.5k, no sale, but sold afterwards for $85,250

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0519-37155 ... liminator/

In the link you sent there is a picture of a door tag showing the VIN: 0F91Q528269. If you Google the VIN you can sometimes get a little history on the car. In this case you can see that it shows up many times in the Classic Cougar Community forum.

Interestingly, you can also see it shows up TWICE on Automall-Online. Both listings show an impressively low price as well (sub-$20k). If you go to the actual Automall listings the pictures are of 2 different cars ~ one is a 351, one is the familiar CJ... but both have the same VIN? Scammer must have been tired to miss such an easy detail like that. Funny (not funny) thing is that the 351 listing is also a scam ~ that car is 0F91M531097 and is for sale at Gateway Classics.
0F91Q528269.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!
freddingle
Registered Member

Post by freddingle »

Wow Mike.

I can't believe people are so devious and that these types of scams exist.....................

Thanks so much as you cut right through the offering and now it makes perfect sense.

Moving ahead, I think the 428 engine will be out of my price range and the Boss 302 only comes with manual transmission (so I've heard) which leaves the 351-W or the 351-c in the 1970 model for cars.

Have you driven both and if so, which is the better choice? If the engine choices in the 69 model are better than feel free to offer me your opinion.

Hey, were you interviewed on you tube a few years ago at a show? Your car looked familiar...................

Eric
lslracing
Registered Member

Post by lslracing »

if the 428 or boss engines are out of the price range the other engines in the 1969 Eliminator were the 351W-4v or a 390 4v . in 1970 the Eliminator came with the 351C engine other then the 428 or Boss
J_Speegle
Registered Member

Post by J_Speegle »

freddingle wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 06:33 Have you driven both and if so, which is the better choice? If the engine choices in the 69 model are better than feel free to offer me your opinion.
How do you plan on driving the car? Weight and balance may come into play in choosing a power plant
freddingle
Registered Member

Post by freddingle »

Hello:

In terms of driving the car, I'm looking for a car quick off the line to satisfy my teenage tendencies. But I guess I'm looking for a car to be driven only in the summer months, reasonable maintenance requirements, and good acceleration both off the line and the quarter mile. So, I guess on balance a well rounded cat that drives like a muscle car should.
J_Speegle
Registered Member

Post by J_Speegle »

freddingle wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 06:43 Hello:

In terms of driving the car, I'm looking for a car quick off the line to satisfy my teenage tendencies. But I guess I'm looking for a car to be driven only in the summer months, reasonable maintenance requirements, and good acceleration both off the line and the quarter mile. So, I guess on balance a well rounded cat that drives like a muscle car should.
So it sound like your looking for torque and maybe to help out higher street gearing rather than something for the twisting, winding back roads.

Standard is to look and entertain all that come up for sale. This will provide you with experience and a process to compare and evaluate. With this a deal or best car will become apparent.
freddingle
Registered Member

Post by freddingle »

Hello Community:

Ive finally found a car that could work for me and would appreciate some insights from the group.

I know its not an original eliminator but I really only wanted a car that looks real and is fun to drive. It just popped up on Hemmings today.

Anyone have some ideas on inspections?

Thanks

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/de ... 31379.html
badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt »

freddingle wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 09:02 Hello Community:

Ive finally found a car that could work for me and would appreciate some insights from the group.

I know its not an original eliminator but I really only wanted a car that looks real and is fun to drive. It just popped up on Hemmings today.

Anyone have some ideas on inspections?

Thanks

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/de ... 31379.html
I see a number of things that are not quite right, like the door trim(cards), Drivers seat bottom looks a little tired, missing heat riser to the air cleaner missing, low quality trunk mat, Interment lenses are dull and a little foggy, Rear suspension does not look like it has been restored and has coil over shocks added, Radio bezel is showing it's age with most all the Plastic chrome missing, Wood grain on the console is pealing off,
This being said, the exterior presents very well. It looks like it can be a fun car to drive and will get a lot of attention. If I were to be looking to buy this I would be looking to spent no more then $20K. Provided any rust repairs were done well. I woud expect to then start finding better door and quarter trim cards and fixing the rest of the items on my list above.

This is how the door tag brakes down, 9F91H555021
9, 1969
F, Dearborn assembly plant
91, Base Cougar 2 door hard top
H, 351 2V Windsor for 69.
555021, the 55012 scheduled to be built at Dearborn
65A, Standard Hardtop Cougar
Color D, Pastel Gray
2A, Black Decor Bucket seat interior
12G, Scheduled build date of July 12, 1969
16, Philadelphia sales district
6, 3.00 rear axle
X, FMX Automatic
Good luck.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior (For Sale)
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -
freddingle
Registered Member

Post by freddingle »

Thanks