Cougar research

This registry includes EVERY classic Cougar. Whether you Cougar is a coucours restoration, a rusty hulk or even just a door or data tag, reporting it here adds to what we know about what became of each and every Cougar. This Registry is Maintained by Phil Parcels.
freddingle
Registered Member

Cougar research

Post by freddingle »

Hello:

I'm a owner of no Cougar at the moment even though I have desired one since 1975 when I was old enough to know how cool they are. I actually found a 1970 eliminator that was for sale, but that one was a long story so I'm looking anew.

My question is I would like to find a good, clean Eliminator that doesn't require a Warren Buffet bank account.

Does anyone have good options and would love some advice between the 69 and 70 model and which is the best engine to look for. I don't intend it to be show quality but do want it to look decent as I'm disabled and cannot work on cars anymore.

The car I almost bought was a 1970 eliminator, restored in last 7 years, automatic, 428 Cobra Jet engine and looked to be very clean.

Does anyone have experience with the OOdles ads?

My price range is between $18k and $25k for an exceptional cat. Any feedback from the community would be great...............

Eric
Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Re: Cougar research

Post by Mike_B_SVT »

freddingle wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 13:17 Hello:

I'm a owner of no Cougar at the moment even though I have desired one since 1975 when I was old enough to know how cool they are. I actually found a 1970 eliminator that was for sale, but that one was a long story so I'm looking anew.

My question is I would like to find a good, clean Eliminator that doesn't require a Warren Buffet bank account.

Does anyone have good options and would love some advice between the 69 and 70 model and which is the best engine to look for. I don't intend it to be show quality but do want it to look decent as I'm disabled and cannot work on cars anymore.

The car I almost bought was a 1970 eliminator, restored in last 7 years, automatic, 428 Cobra Jet engine and looked to be very clean.

Does anyone have experience with the OOdles ads?

My price range is between $18k and $25k for an exceptional cat. Any feedback from the community would be great...............

Eric
"between $18-25k for an exceptional cat"... That is a tall order these days. That price range might get you a decent driver with a 351 / auto, but you will probably have to be very patient and be ready to pounce when one shows up. Anymore, presentable 351 Eliminators are being listed in the $30-35k range, and even those may require additional work :-/

I have no experience with Oodles ads, but if they are anything like Trovit and Automall then there are very likely a LOT of scam listings there.
If you have a link to a particular car you are considering, please share it (or message it to me) and we can discuss the pro's / con's of the car and price. Also, if it is a scam listing chances are very good that we can warn you and save you some time / effort.

In the meantime, please check out the Eliminators on the Market list posted in the Marketplace section of this forum. I compile this list monthly and add updates to it as new listings appear.

https://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/ ... 10&t=13259
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!
freddingle
Registered Member

Post by freddingle »

https://www.kloompy.com/cars/1970-mercu ... tor_i10363

Thanks for the responses. Here looks to be a reasonably priced 70 eliminator from the Ooodles website. What would be the pitfalls of this car as many tend to pop up thAT interest me.

Eric
Al Bundy
Registered Member

Post by Al Bundy »

One pitfall is that’s clearly a scam. That car wouldn’t last 10 minutes if it was legit.

Take some time to learn the market on the car you’re looking for. Then you won’t waste your time on ads like this.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue - SOLD
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black
freddingle
Registered Member

Post by freddingle »

Hello:

Other than it being a good deal, how does one know that a car is a scam? Should I look only at Hemmings or Classic Cars.com or a website that would be more reputable?
lslracing
Registered Member

Post by lslracing »

the first pitfall is 175 views and nobody bought a car that going by the pics is $40-45K or a little more under value. thats the first scam sign.
if you are serious about buying an Eliminator talk to Mike he has a great pulse on the Eliminator market and may even know of a legit car for sale and hes not going to run out and buy the car from under you.
A 70 CJ Eliminator in need of a full resto is about 15K now days.
Try to find some guys in your area that know these cars and as Al said do some research
there are people out there who have no issues using or taking pics of a car they dont own listing it and collecting a few deposits
Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce »

Ask the seller where the car is. When he says its at __________ you write back and say "That is right around the corner from my house. I can be there in 15 minutes." He will suddenly have all kinds of excuses why the car can't be seen. This fellow is trying to get you to wire a deposit so that he will get your money even though he doesn't have any cars to sell. This is typical on poorly managed web sites like that one.

Aside from that the price is obviously about $70K or more short of where a car this nice would normally be priced.

freddingle wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 06:32 Hello:

Other than it being a good deal, how does one know that a car is a scam? Should I look only at Hemmings or Classic Cars.com or a website that would be more reputable?
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar
freddingle
Registered Member

Post by freddingle »

Thanks community. Great words of wisdom.

Back to the car choice itself - what are preferences out there between the 351-C, 428 Cobra Jet, and even the 390 found in 1969 models?
Does any one have any recommendations for me?

Also, it looks like the difference between the 69 and 70 is mostly cosmetic, short of the engine choices?

If I have to change my reality clock on the price, it probably means more advice on power trains would be appreciated.

Eric
CougarCJ
Registered Member

Post by CougarCJ »

freddingle wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 08:51 Thanks community. Great words of wisdom.

Back to the car choice itself - what are preferences out there between the 351-C, 428 Cobra Jet, and even the 390 found in 1969 models?
Does any one have any recommendations for me?

Also, it looks like the difference between the 69 and 70 is mostly cosmetic, short of the engine choices?

If I have to change my reality clock on the price, it probably means more advice on power trains would be appreciated.

Eric
Ginger or Mary Ann? 1969 Eliminator or 1970 Eliminator? Everyone has their preferences. Personally I like the 1970 Eliminators better, mostly because of the color choices. If money were no object, Boss 302 or 428CJ. The ultimate 1970 Eliminator for me, would be a 1970 Competition Green, Q code with 4 speed, Ram Air, Black and white houndstooth decor interior, sunroof, console, P/S, PB, Tilt, and A/C.

In my opinion the 1969 390IP or S code engine ranks at the bottom. Same cost to rebuild as a Cobra Jet, makes the car nose heavy, much less powerful than the 1967-68 S code 390GT engines. Also, 1969 S code parts are very hard to find and costly if missing.

M code 351C-4V's are good, they don't like today's available 91 octane fuel though.

I also prefer Mary Ann.
Scott Behncke 1968 XR7, 302-4V (Autolite 4100D conversion), 5 Speed, 3L50 TL,
Carcheologist - West Coast Classic Cougar

freddingle
Registered Member

Post by freddingle »

Hello Mike and CJ:

I too prefer Mary Ann. Mike, I e-mailed you communication about seeking your advice and awareness if you know of any good Eliminator's to look at. In case my e-mail went to spam, I wanted you to be aware of that.

Thanks for the wisdom so far and I'll continue my search with a greater eye to scam offers.

Eric