I have one of your engines

The GT-E was only available for a few brief months in 1968. Total production would not have kept the assembly line busy for more than a half day. If you know anything about a GT-E, it is important, and this is the place to share it. The GT-E registry is maintained by Jim Pinkerton.
FestusPunky
Registered Member

I have one of your engines

Post by FestusPunky »

Hi guys,
I’m new to this forum but I thought I’d check in to to give you a heads up that I have what may be a W-code side oiler in my ‘69 Torino Cobra. I bought the bare block a few years ago from a guy in Salt Lake City. It is a hydraulic lifter side oiler with the date code 8C1. No ribs cast in so not likely a service block. Right now it is built up as a 482 cu in stroker.
Any thoughts?
Al Bundy
Registered Member

Re: I have one of your engines

Post by Al Bundy »

FestusPunky wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 18:21 Hi guys,
I’m new to this forum but I thought I’d check in to to give you a heads up that I have what may be a W-code side oiler in my ‘69 Torino Cobra. I bought the bare block a few years ago from a guy in Salt Lake City. It is a hydraulic lifter side oiler with the date code 8C1. No ribs cast in so not likely a service block. Right now it is built up as a 482 cu in stroker.
Any thoughts?
Any chance it has a VIN number?
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue - SOLD
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black
FestusPunky
Registered Member

Post by FestusPunky »

Not that I have seen, but then again, I haven’t really looked for one. It has an “I” scratch and someone stamped “C. Hamm” in front of #1 cylinder. Where would I look for the VIN?
Al Bundy
Registered Member

Post by Al Bundy »

FestusPunky wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 18:37 Not that I have seen, but then again, I haven’t really looked for one. It has an “I” scratch and someone stamped “C. Hamm” in front of #1 cylinder. Where would I look for the VIN?
From what I understand the most likely place would be on one of the cylinder heads. Of course it would have to have the originals. I'm sure someone will chime in on where to check on the block.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue - SOLD
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black
FestusPunky
Registered Member

Post by FestusPunky »

I have a clear photo of the back of the block with the bellhousing removed and I see no evidence of a vin stamped on any of the pads. The original heads are long gone, I bought the bare block with main caps only.
Anyhow, I thought I’d start the conversation since this car will be up for sale soon and I’d like to provide potential buyers with more info about the provenance of this engine. After 50+ years and what surely was a colorful life it may not be possible...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt »

The pad in the circle is where it could be. It may also have been on the head directly above that pad.

If you don't have the original heads then a VIN may never be able to be attributed to this block. But you do have a great engine here.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior (For Sale)
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -
FestusPunky
Registered Member

Post by FestusPunky »

Thanks! It may not have a VIN but, based on the March 1 1968 date code, could it be a Cougar W-code or was it manufactured too late in the year?

Here’s some eye candy...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TomL
Registered Member

Post by TomL »

Although rare, the driver's side and back side of the block, just below the deck is where a few blocks were stamped with the partial VIN. My GT-E block (shown below) was stamped there, but I think it was a mistake made by a factory worker in engine ass'y in early '68. I believe they were supposed to be stamped on the cylinder head and that's where the majority on VIN stamps have been found. Mine was stamped with 8F (1968 Dearborn plant) with one type of font, seemingly at an early stage during engine assembly, then the last 6 digits of the VIN was stamped with a different font type after the 8F. This leads me to believe that several 427's were assembled closely together and then the 8F was stamped and the engines were ready for installation into the body. Later on, right before they were installed into the cars, the remaining 6 VIN numbers, particular to that GT-E, were stamped onto the assembled engines by someone on the ass'y line...my best guess.

I'll let Royce or Pink chime in on whether or not your cast date code is correct for a late GT-E. I have kept a few Marti Reports over the years and
from those few the latest 427 GT-E "ACTUALLY BUILT" date I show was Mar 6, 1968 for a Lime Frost STD Cougar. I'm sure some were built later but not many would be my guess.
1968 Cougar XR7 GT-E
W-code 427E
Nordic Blue / Dark Blue Leather
sold thru David Bricker L-M; Hollywood, CA

1968 Cougar XR7 6.5 Litre
S-code 390 GT
Nordic Blue / Dark Blue Vinyl
fastfreddy
Registered Member

Post by fastfreddy »

My guess is you have a real GT-E block, Sir. Are you going to sell it?
FestusPunky
Registered Member

Post by FestusPunky »

Yes, but with a ‘69 R-code Torino Cobra attached! 😁
Seriously, I will let you guys know when the car is available in a couple of months - I am currently out of town. As I previously said I’m trying to figure out where this sorta oddball sideoiler came from. The car had another hydraulic lifter sideoiler installed previously that was easily identified as a service block by the cast-in ribs but this one had me scratching my head.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968- ... o-reserve/