Request help with fuel system repair

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
COUGRR
Registered Member

Request help with fuel system repair

Post by COUGRR » 06 Mar 2018, 16:43

I am looking to replace my fuel tank with sender. What are the best options and prices that I can look into. I have a standard 1968 with a 302 engine. What companies are recommended? Who has the best deals with the most reliable parts? Asking the Cougar Community for help. Thanks. :pray:
1968 Standard Dan Gurney Special Convertible Conversion

Blitz
Registered Member

Re: Request help with fuel system repair

Post by Blitz » 06 Mar 2018, 18:57

Well I'm biased because I work at West Coast Classic Cougar, but we have all that stuff, and various options. We even did a video on a '68 Cougar (390 XR7-G) showing how to replace / service the fuel system: https://youtu.be/eFOP_6CF2D4

There are no less than 3 types of tanks for a '68 Cougar, and they all fit and function just fine. Just a matter of preference.

Economy version - Good generic replacement tank. Stamping is a little different than original, but fits well and seems well made. I think this is the one I put in my car.

Premium version - More "correct" replacement with regard to stamping and appearance. Quality is similar to the economy version, maybe slightly better.

Stainless Steel - The cool thing about a stainless tank is that it will never rust. You're never invincible from gunk building up if the fuel sits for years, but this could probably be a "forever" tank if properly cared for.

As for the sending unit, here's a standard replacement version, and here's a stainless steel version for a base model '68.

Sometimes you can salvage an original sending unit, it may be worthwhile to check yours out before you replace it. At the end of the aforementioned video, we show how to clean one up and test it. We sell the filter and brass float and o ring and locking ring separately if you go that route.

Hope that helps!
-Andrew Chenovick
Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR, INC.
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1986 Volvo 240: dependable beater / "Goldilocks"
-1992 Volvo 240 wagon: classy hauling machine

COUGRR
Registered Member

Post by COUGRR » 06 Mar 2018, 19:14

Thanks, Blitz! I will look over this and make my decision. Thanks for your help!

ClawIt
Registered Member

Post by ClawIt » 07 Mar 2018, 06:47

Caution on some reproduced sending units, their resistance values are off. You can get erroneous readings. Best if you can re-use original.

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD » 07 Mar 2018, 08:33

Check at National Parts Depot for the tank, They have a 16gallon with and without drain plug. The drain plug version runs just over 100bucks, made in Canada by Spectra. Spectra makes some decent products and I have used them for radiators and ac condensers on newer vehicles from time to time. I picked this tank up for my car and was happy with it. Fit great and no issues what it whatsoever. For me NPD has cheaper shipping rates especially when it comes to the larger items and they do free shipping with any order over $300 so keep that in mind when shopping. Also I think rockauto has the same tank in stock too so there is another option for you to check out.
1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.

COUGRR
Registered Member

Post by COUGRR » 07 Mar 2018, 21:26

Lots of good tips here. Thanks, guys. You don't disappoint. :thumbup: