This is a Barn Find to beat all Barn Finds!

The GT-E was only available for a few brief months in 1968. Total production would not have kept the assembly line busy for more than a half day. If you know anything about a GT-E, it is important, and this is the place to share it. The GT-E registry is maintained by Jim Pinkerton.
TomL
Registered Member

Re: This is a Barn Find to beat all Barn Finds!

Post by TomL » 05 Mar 2018, 17:50

Wow...what a story. Thanks for that explanation Royce.
1968 Cougar XR7 GT-E
W-code 427E
Nordic Blue / Dark Blue Leather
sold thru David Bricker L-M; Hollywood, CA

1968 Cougar XR7 6.5 Litre
S-code 390 GT
Nordic Blue / Dark Blue Vinyl

BOSSGTE
Registered Member

Post by BOSSGTE » 05 Mar 2018, 19:34

Don Rush wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 12:30
Several years ago a very prominent person in the Cougar community was offered a GTE project from a senior citizen who had owned it for decades. The seller came up with the price and the buyer gave an enthusiastic "YES!". Seller sleeps on it and decides to reach out to a trusted local club member in TX (Royce Peterson) and asks "am I doing the right thing? I am not connected to the internet and am not up on current values..." Royce set him straight and let him know the car was now worth multiples of what he was asking. I have watched Jim do the same and I too have insisted on giving folks more than they were asking because in the end we have to sleep and we have a reputation that took a long time to build. I again will point to the green GTE in Canada right now that is very original and has been for sale for weeks now at $85k with no sale, this red car cannot possibly be worth as much can it? I have a feeling that if you barraged the sellers with market info and asked "Would you like to back out of the deal now?" They would still be fine with what was offered.
How can you compare a SUPER original red/red, low mile, dry climate,1-owner GTE to a restored green/parch GTE? Royce described it as the best original ever seen, and I believe him. And it is common knowledge, now days, that original cars are worth much more than restored cars. Look at the auction results of rare survivors cars of late. The red Robie car is in a class of its own---for originality, history and color---it should NEVER--EVER be restored except with soap, water and WD40 where possible. Sadly, I guess I am an outsider---a deplorable, outsider, "vulture" in this community. Well, for sure I am not a hero worshiper and the people I know and deal with respect me. I have always rolled as a semi-loner earning my own racing stripes---that's the old fashioned way. I don't want to fight anyone of you, we all love the same thing...cool old Cougars. These great cars and the many friendships they bring me have improved my life beyond words. The best thing in life besides love is good friends and challenging work we adore...like restoring cool Cougars. And in working towards that, we should all be equal to compete in any community in America....and that is all I have ever expected from this great country...aaaand maybe a GTE like the Robies. Sadly again, I suppose I will keep looking...45 years, 46 years, 47.....

propayne
Registered Member

Post by propayne » 06 Mar 2018, 07:09

FWIW, I'd like to add a few thoughts and generalities from my pretty extensive experience of being very active in this, the Classic Cougar Community.

I have no idea what the actual details are of this particular transaction, but I do know -

By a huge margin, this is a welcoming and accepting community. It's up to each of us as individuals, as to whether or not we become an insider, outsider, elitist, commoner, loner, leader, follower, helper, obstacle, facilitator, hoarder, sharer, etc., etc.

Being a Registrar is a tremendous amount of work and responsibility. I know I would never choose to be one and given the responsibilities of the job, I don't see how it is even possible to not make some enemies every once-in-awhile.

- Phillip
Last edited by propayne on 06 Mar 2018, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MrEos » 06 Mar 2018, 09:17

Don Rush wrote:
Several years ago a very prominent person in the Cougar community was offered a GTE project from a senior citizen who had owned it for decades. The seller came up with the price and the buyer gave an enthusiastic "YES!". Seller sleeps on it and decides ...
Curiosity kills the cat.... did the original prospective buyer end up with the car?

As Membership Director for the CCOA, I often get contacted by people looking to sell their cars. Fortunately, I've never faced the ethical dilemma of wanting to buy what they were selling (well, once, but the seller had unrealistic price in mind so it was a moot point). I typically refer them to the CCOA classified ads or this forum.

Note to anyone wanting this "insider" job: Nominations are open for several CCOA Board seats and you can nominate yourself. As Scott and Randy have mentioned, the door is open if you're willing to contribute your time and passion.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 06 Mar 2018, 12:10

The whole idea of messing with old cars is to have fun doing it. If it stops being fun, then take a break. None of this is life or death. These are just rusty, mostly worn out, old cars that mean what they do because of what is inside each of us. Some of them are less common than others and and it is fun to see or drive or even own one. The stories, the history, and the people that lived the experience are as important as the sheet metal.

If you really want to experience the benefits of being an insider, its all free and right here for the most part. Read about the Local Hero, a car passed down from grandfather to grandson and lovingly cared for for decades. Or if testing your ability to accomplish not just the improbable, but maybe the impossible, read about the resurrection of Isabel. Or the strange tale of Cougar 1's discovery and restoration. These are the things that make this a community. We have a very odd set of shared values, check out the previous Ride of the Month winners and you can see exactly what I am talking about.

I hope I get a chance to interview the Robies that kept this GT-E for 50 years. What was going on in 1968 that made them decide the car to buy was this GT-E? They could have bought a loaded Galaxy or even a Thunderbird or possibly a Corvette, why the Cougar? Why didn't their kids (who would be very close to my age) want the car? I want to know the rest of the story.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 06 Mar 2018, 13:27

BOSSGTE wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 19:34
Don Rush wrote:
Several years ago a very prominent person in the Cougar community was offered a GTE project from a senior citizen who had owned it for decades. The seller came up with the price and the buyer gave an enthusiastic "YES!". Seller sleeps on it and decides to reach out to a trusted local club member in TX (Royce Peterson) and asks "am I doing the right thing? I am not connected to the internet and am not up on current values..." Royce set him straight and let him know the car was now worth multiples of what he was asking. I have watched Jim do the same and I too have insisted on giving folks more than they were asking because in the end we have to sleep and we have a reputation that took a long time to build. I again will point to the green GTE in Canada right now that is very original and has been for sale for weeks now at $85k with no sale, this red car cannot possibly be worth as much can it? I have a feeling that if you barraged the sellers with market info and asked "Would you like to back out of the deal now?" They would still be fine with what was offered.
How can you compare a SUPER original red/red, low mile, dry climate,1-owner GTE to a restored green/parch GTE? Royce described it as the best original ever seen, and I believe him. And it is common knowledge, now days, that original cars are worth much more than restored cars. Look at the auction results of rare survivors cars of late. The red Robie car is in a class of its own---for originality, history and color---it should NEVER--EVER be restored except with soap, water and WD40 where possible. Sadly, I guess I am an outsider---a deplorable, outsider, "vulture" in this community. Well, for sure I am not a hero worshiper and the people I know and deal with respect me. I have always rolled as a semi-loner earning my own racing stripes---that's the old fashioned way. I don't want to fight anyone of you, we all love the same thing...cool old Cougars. These great cars and the many friendships they bring me have improved my life beyond words. The best thing in life besides love is good friends and challenging work we adore...like restoring cool Cougars. And in working towards that, we should all be equal to compete in any community in America....and that is all I have ever expected from this great country...aaaand maybe a GTE like the Robies. Sadly again, I suppose I will keep looking...45 years, 46 years, 47.....
You might have a point... The red car is a wild card and I agree it may ultimately have more potential than the green car but the two of them put on ebay on the same day, one turn key and one with cooked wiring, crispy interior, mice nests and the like may or may not bring $80k on the red car. If the sellers did not want to deal with ebay, shippers and brokers, $60k was a fair wholesale bid with a transparent buyer who will bring the car back to life better than anyone they could of met and they have met many over the years. As for this being the best survivor out there? Not even close... I know where much nicer ones are and Jim does too.
Last edited by Don Rush on 06 Mar 2018, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

COUGARSHARK
Registered Member

Post by COUGARSHARK » 06 Mar 2018, 14:02

It can't be considered a Barn Find either. The car was reported to the Registrar by the nephew in 2005. It was kept a secret though. Nobody found it.
The lady even makes a statement that she's unaware who's actually buying the car. Say what.
Also I understand making up all this hype about this car , but personally why not just keep it all under wraps. Document all the info to prove what it is.
Then bring it all out when the car is ready. Save me all the BS though.
I just hope we don't see this GTE on the Auction block with certain people asking for the World. Such as Cougar #1 ( which is why it's not sold yet )
But then again that's what all the Hype is for. I get it.
Just remember this guys , when you call other prospective buyers Vultures ; you are speaking of yourselves.

I'll add this too,
To all the Guys on here in the circle jerk Round Table, pull up your knee pads and get yourselves more napkins. Have at it. Sickening

fordnutz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by fordnutz » 06 Mar 2018, 14:41

COUGARSHARK wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 14:02
To all the Guys on here in the circle jerk Round Table, pull up your knee pads and get yourselves more napkins. Have at it. Sickening
Jeez COUGARSHARK take it easy!! These kind of comments are not appropriate.
Some sellers are not comfortable selling long held possessions, even when they have made the decision to do it. They want to make sure that it is going to someone that is going to take care of it and love it like they do. They don't want or need top dollar, they just need peace of mind. In Jim that is exactly what they are going to get. Heck Jim hasn't even seen the car yet in person. He bought it based on a pretty detailed description provided by another passionate Cougar enthusiast whom is a very trusted resource to know what is and is not correct on these cars. That original 427 SO, was not guaranteed to be able to be returned to the car fully operational, so there is definitely a big risk there.
If not for the GT-E registry this car may have deteriorated to nothing, but it is now seeing the light of day and it is going to be loved and appreciated.
These personal attacks are not what this forum should be about. We collect information on the cars we love, and help others to collect information to help them in their projects.
We don't have to love each other, but we all deserve respect. No matter if you agree or not. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you don't need to try to bully or shame/ridicule others in theirs.

Let's all take a nice deep breath.
Thanks, Scott Ferguson
President, Fordnutz Cougar Club
E-mail President@Fordnutz.org
Visit the Fordnutz Cougar Club on the web http://www.fordnutz.org
Past Chairman, Cascade Cougar Club
http://www.CascadeCougarClub.com
Past Chairman, Cougar Club of America
http://www.cougarclub.org

COUGARSHARK
Registered Member

Post by COUGARSHARK » 06 Mar 2018, 14:50

You ever play Hockey
Some times people need to be Checked per say , or they will continue to do as they wish. Get it. Good

DeadStang
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by DeadStang » 06 Mar 2018, 15:20

Last edited by DeadStang on 08 Mar 2018, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.