Approximate fair value

This is place to talk anything Cougar or Cougar related.
Socalef9
Registered Member

Approximate fair value

Post by Socalef9 » 13 Nov 2017, 22:20

Highly considering putting my cat on the market to go towards a down payment for a property. It pains me to do it, and i dont HAVE to, but its a strong possibility. I have absolutely no clue as to what i should ask or what i would expect to get for it though.

What do you guys suppose i should place as my price? I dont want to haggle too much amd dont want to accept much less than the car is worth. The problem is, i really have no clue what its worth. The car has a lot going for it, but has its negatives too......

Prepare yourself for long list. Skip directly to pics if you get bored easily.

My cat is a 68 J-Code with what i believe is appx. 78,500 original miles and a numbers matching 302 4v, 4 speed top loader, and 8" open diff.

1 of 536 made with this engine/trans combo per the Marti.

Car starts right up, idles fine, runs VERY cool. NO overheating issues.

Augusta green with deluxe saddle interior. I have brand new seat covers and carpet in boxes. Front seats are torn.

The body is driver quality at best. little dings and dents around the car. Ive recently noticed rust bubbles developing on both front quarters. Surface rust under the lip of the deck lid, but not cancer-like bubbles. No rot on hood or trunk. Big detractor is that some idiot of a previous owner installed terrible autoparts store mirrors and screwed them into the doors. Ive since replaced both with repro units from WCCC, but ive been left with two holes on each door.

Im assuming the car was hit because the gaps on the front end are not straight, but i have not tried any alignment.
Car also has a dealer option luggage rack.

I swapped out the intake manifold and carb with holly units, but i still have the originals put away. Replaced air cleaner ( still have orig). Vehicle has the original smog equipment and A/C compressor under the hood. P/S pump has been changed to a 69 unit along with 69 hose routing. Water pump and starter changed out (still have originals).
Radiator has been swapped out to a 3 row brass unit. (Still have original fomoco unit).

Entire front suspension has been swapped out with new parts, 1 1/8" front sway bar installed, black export brace too. Eibach springs and kyb gas adjust shocks on front. Rear leafs are sagging, have air shocks on rear. Have kyb shocks in boxes.

Car still has original exhaust on it too.

15" report styled steel wheels installed,

numbers matching original tinted glass all around, windshield and rear glass seals are dry and ave shrunk. New units in boxes.

New weather stripping in boxes. \\

Solid state sequential unit with plasma led's, headlights work but there is a slight leak somewhere in system. All interior lights work, new speedo cable.

New brake pads and calipers, rebuilt brake booster and master cylinder

Original insulation pad on hood.

I know ive listed a lot, but i know there's more im missing.

The exterior pics probably make the car look nicer than what it is because you cant see the little dings, dents, and paint chips.

Cougars_R_Grr8
Registered Member

Re: Approximate fair value

Post by Cougars_R_Grr8 » 13 Nov 2017, 23:39

Yes, Please
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 4v J Code 4 spd (1 of 536) *SOLD*
'73 F250 XLT Ranger - 390 *Also SOLD*
'63 F100 Stepside - *NEW PROJECT*
'14 Camaro SS vert

Sir Ed
Registered Member

Post by Sir Ed » 14 Nov 2017, 00:28

Pic of the luggage rack please.

There were a few ski versions with a luggage rack but I'm not sure how they were listed. Something to look into.
1967 Standard, 289 4 barrel

427XR7
Registered Member

Post by 427XR7 » 14 Nov 2017, 08:13

Auction the car and let the market dictate the value. It's that easy. Bear in mind that the market is seasonal in most areas of the country. You are presently at the seasonal low for value.

JETEXAS
Registered Member

Post by JETEXAS » 14 Nov 2017, 08:51

Here in Houston, the nicer 67-68 small block Cougars have been going for $10k - $13k. There were a few nice numbers matching and big block cars listed for more than $20k over the past few months, but I have no idea if they actually sold. A lot of cars disappeared from craigslist after Hurricane Harvey. Project cars are available from $1000 - $2500 on a regular basis.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 14 Nov 2017, 09:49

I guess around $10 K +/- $2K. Probably $2K more if all the parts in boxes were installed.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 14 Nov 2017, 10:53

Very nice car! I'd say throw a few $hundred and a weekend of time at it and replace the torn seat covers and shifter boot with correct replacements.
Appearance is a big factor, and you don't want to give a customer something obvious to use against you. Besides, if they see torn seats they might wonder what else has been "let go" that they can't see.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Otherwise, I agree with the others ~ looking at the pics I was thinking the same thing before I read thier comments. Somewhere in the 10k-12k area would be a reasonable ask.
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Socalef9
Registered Member

Post by Socalef9 » 14 Nov 2017, 12:27

Sir Ed wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 00:28
Pic of the luggage rack please.

There were a few ski versions with a luggage rack but I'm not sure how they were listed. Something to look into.
Here ya go.

Socalef9
Registered Member

Post by Socalef9 » 14 Nov 2017, 22:37

Mike_B_SVT wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 10:53
Very nice car! I'd say throw a few $hundred and a weekend of time at it and replace the torn seat covers and shifter boot with correct replacements.
Appearance is a big factor, and you don't want to give a customer something obvious to use against you. Besides, if they see torn seats they might wonder what else has been "let go" that they can't see.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Otherwise, I agree with the others ~ looking at the pics I was thinking the same thing before I read thier comments. Somewhere in the 10k-12k area would be a reasonable ask.
Darn, was really hoping that the low production numbers of j code 4 speeds would help the value a bit.

Cougars_R_Grr8
Registered Member

Post by Cougars_R_Grr8 » 15 Nov 2017, 00:48

This cat is a sister to my first Cougar and was built on the same day. Looks nice.
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 4v J Code 4 spd (1 of 536) *SOLD*
'73 F250 XLT Ranger - 390 *Also SOLD*
'63 F100 Stepside - *NEW PROJECT*
'14 Camaro SS vert