FMX swop to AOD

I have read that AOD’s for carbureted should be per 86. Is that so you don’t need an added lever on the carb or is there another reason?

I have a chance to buy a Transmission out of a 92 Crown Vic police exceptor.

Is this a good AOD for my 72 351c FMX swop?Sorry for all the question! just want the right transmission

The FMX inspection cover doesn’t line up
with the bolt holes in the AOD bellhousing. You can. run without the inspection cover. But .might as well complete it 100%.

Crown Vic is an o-k AOD. Better than the V-6. Is a 92 Crown Vic 5.0 or 4.6? The 4.6 has a different starter mount on the bell and will not work for the starter on your 351c. Not sure if you could use the starter and block plate to make it work on the 351c. Make sure this 92 Crown Vic is not an AODE.
The AOD went from 1980 to 1993. Many refinements we’re made along the way. You can get an early AOD, bring it to a shop and pay to put later/better parts in it…if they know what to do with it. Or you can start with something that may have Ford’s latest and greatest.

I know it’s not a AODE. It’s a PKA and I’ll have to find out if it’s was bolted up to a 4.6 or 5.0L

If it was a '92 Crown Vic (aero body style instead of the earlier box body style) then it will be a 4.6 which is a different bellhousing pattern. Also only the Lincolns have the longer tailhousing.
It’s best to set the TV cable with a pressure gauge if you can. Running incorrect pressures (people usually set it too high for “performance”) is a great way to fry an old transmission.

from what I have been reading the 93 crown vic is an AODE. 92 was the last year of the AOD. And the the tail shaft is longer on the 92 Crown Vic with the police interceptor.

I looked up 92 Crown Vic, it could be either AOD or AODE. Unfortunately, they are all 4.6. Either way, it is the wrong trans.

Really! your saying the Crown Vic Police interceptors don’t come with 5.0L motors? The police package models?
This is an AOD(PKA) but if your correct and it is a 4.6L then it won’t hookup to my Cleveland!

Oh boy
This changes everything!
So I have found 2 more doners.

1. Out of a 88 grand marquis’s and
  2. Out of a 92 mercury cougar
    Any thoughts?

I’m still looking for my donor Transmission. Down to a 88 mercury Marquis( don’t know the milage or what the motor its bolted up to yet. It is berried under snow right now) and or a 92 Mercury Cougar that has 73k which was bolted up to a 302.
The one thing I never really thought a bout was my speedometer cable hookup. how will that work on these newer Transmissions?

This is an option if the cable doesn’t work: Mechanical Speedometer Converter with Built-in GPS https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/41800/10002/-1?gclid=Cj0KCQiAybaRBhDtARIsAIEG3klE1LpApGyRw6MhQFavvK8_miRK0GJLdubYFcbIndMmi3R4j6b3SIoaAlk8EALw_wcB

All AOD kept the drive gear on the output shaft with a hole in the tail housing for the cable or sensor to mount in. The speedo cable on your car will work.

What is that

Nice! Thanks

What is that exactly?

can you define “that” ?

What is a: Mechanical Speedometer Converter with Built-in GPS

Oh brother!
Guess I should have looked at the link!
It said t hooks up to your obd 2 port. What you talking about Willis!

Sounds too technical for this guy!

So
Upgrading my transmission means up grading the 3rd member. I have been looking at 3.70 gears. The yoke is 1310 short yoke. Does anyone know is this is the same yoke as original yoke and if not would it be an issue to buy a y-joint for it?