Wellington blue G with red interior

There were only 619 XR7-Gs built. They were built along side the Shelby Mustang, and were available with every engine and transmission offered in 1968, (except the 427). This was the first Cougar to be a part of the Hertz Rent a Racer program. If you have any information about these rare cats, this is the place to share. The XR7-G registry is maintained by Royce Peterson.
SeaninSD
Registered Member

Re: Wellington blue G with red interior

Post by SeaninSD »

IMO this is an awesome color combo and is reminiscent of vintage European sports cars like Andrew mentioned. I was tempted at first with it being the same color as my '67 GT (Caspian blue vs Wellington?) but the fact that its a 302 auto and very rough makes it not a reasonable car to restore. The color combo is the defining feature IMO. I think this would be a stunning car when done and the only G built in this combination
1970 Mach 1 428 SCJ Grabber Green project
1970 Boss 302 Bright Gold Metallic
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 SCJ Bright Blue project
1967 Cougar GT 390 Caspian Blue/white all original
Follow my restoration progress!
https://cougareliminatorden.com/

Wanted:
1968-1970 428 CJ Cougar 4 speed
1970 Boss 302 Eliminator
1968-1970 428 CJ Mustang Coupe 4 speed
Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce »

This car can be restored. It just needs a good donor car with rust free sheet metal. The interior stuff looks salvageable and the 302 isn't a bad thing to many of us. If it were mine I would probably add factory A/C.
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar
SeaninSD
Registered Member

Post by SeaninSD »

It can definitely be restored. The pool of people willing to tackle an extensive resto is shrinking by the day. Paying a shop to do it would yield a huge monetary loss so people in it for the 'investment' are out of the picture. That leaves enthusiasts who are passionate and willing to do the work themselves. IMO its not rare enough to justify 6 years of weekends to restore it. I wish luck whoever buys it and I hope it ends up being saved and not rebodied
1970 Mach 1 428 SCJ Grabber Green project
1970 Boss 302 Bright Gold Metallic
1969 Cougar Eliminator 428 SCJ Bright Blue project
1967 Cougar GT 390 Caspian Blue/white all original
Follow my restoration progress!
https://cougareliminatorden.com/

Wanted:
1968-1970 428 CJ Cougar 4 speed
1970 Boss 302 Eliminator
1968-1970 428 CJ Mustang Coupe 4 speed
xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 »

With a G car the key is having all of the G specific parts. Sheet metal is sheet metal. Everything but door skins are being reproduced, and those are coming soon I hear. In my opinion this is a great way to get into a G on the long term payment program. I would get it running at least well enough to go around the block and then AFTER doing a really thorough examination of the car top to bottom, start buying the parts. Once you have the sheet metal bought then save up some more for the labor to do the cut and paste metal work and then the paint. While the car is in the shop you can start doing the rebuild of every sub assembly and most of that is really clean up, paint up and put away. It would be, over time, still very expensive and probably not profitable financially, but it would make G car ownership possible and a lot more fun than saving your spare change in the hope that you can raise enough money to buy one that is done.
Bill Basore,

Fuel Sender Rebuilding, Gauge Testers, and Reproduction Cougar Parts:
Desert Classic Parts
The only magazine ever dedicated to the Classic Mercury Cougar
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry
propayne
Registered Member

Post by propayne »

G cars are endlessly fascinating and way, way under appreciated and misunderstood, at least in the larger, collector car community.

Like Bill said, get it running and enjoy it while you research it's history, restore and/or acquire parts needed, etc.

If you take the right approach, it can be a very pleasant way to occupy your time and your mind.

- Phillip
Al Bundy
Registered Member

Post by Al Bundy »

Curious if anyone else noticed that as abysmal as the passenger side looks, they don't even show the drivers side.

Intriguing car for sure. But not for $9000.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue - SOLD
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black
preaction
Registered Member

Post by preaction »

J_Speegle wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 15:41
Al Bundy wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 16:17
preaction wrote: 11 Nov 2021, 15:16 I thought Ford and Mercury had procedures in place to avoid undesirable color combinations like this.
I seem to remember hearing that as well. But I bet as long as you had a checkbook you could get whatever you wanted.

No there were no rules or combinations that could not be done if both were regular production items. And there are also the combinations were the exterior could be special order if you wanted to pay a little more for that. But if they were both RPO then no up charge if the customer was ordering the car.

Were "rules" or guidelines possibly came in was when the factory was building cars to be sent out to the dealers for their inventory (no specific order/combination) those would typically be cars with combinations that the company believed would sell well - including option packages or grouping.
Jeff, thanks for sharing your experience with this the way I remember this is that it was more of a 69/70 year model application, clearly model year has nothing to do with it.
67 XR7 6.5 liter auto AC tilt pdb ps thermactor vinyl roof console SS wheels lime frost 68.5 XR7 428CJ