Found R-Code 1968 Cougar Today

Currently No. 4 most watched in the eBay Cars & trucks category, as of 2:15 pm CT on 10/17/18. Still four more days to go.

Now number two of the highest number of people watching.

“In a issue of SS/DI there is a picture of Dyno Don racing a fairly stock 1968 428CJ Cougar. The car was also painted black”

Anyone have any info on this statement???

Yes - it is the August 1968 issue of Super Stock & Drag Illustrated magazine.

Here is the cover -

Is there a photo of Don racing a black 68?

Now over 10,000 views and almost 600 watchers and the number two highest number of watchers of any current ebay auction.

That (the one Don TRIED to enter in the '68 US Nationals) car is a factory GT / automatic / XR-7.

He painted it in his typical red paint scheme before entering it.

Here’s a picture from SS + DI magazine.

Wow, very cool. Still trying to chase down my car’s painted black racing days but that is certainly not it. Is this car still around?

We know the VIN but the car is probably long gone. Not seen since the 1960’s.

Back to Brian’s idea…is it not a feasible idea? I actually thought about it before he posted, but didn’t want to sound dumb (Not saying your dumb Brian :slight_smile: ) I wasn’t thinking of that high of dollar amount though, so obviously a few more investors than what he mentioned.
I suppose with the auction being only 2 days out yet it is too late for pulling a plan together though.
Shame something so unique ended up in the condition it is. Didn’t the person know what they were ‘sitting’ on?

I know I’m new to this forum but Im not new to cars. There is no way this car is going to be valued anywhere near 200k. Literally nothing on the car will be original by the time its restored. It might as well be a recreation. Very neat car, but it has no story and an abusive past. Maybe it brings 60-70k restored, a stretch would be 100k. A big bucks car has the history and the patina as raced.

Agree.

Well what 68 CJ 4spd cars have sold within the last few years? What did they go for?

I have been just wondering, did any potential buyers ever have someone or come to inspect vehicle?

No. Though several have contacted me, made offers to end the auction and are planning on bidding right before the auction ends. They all seemed satisfied by the 100 or so photos provided.

The price of this car will fall between a recreation and a numbers matching restored, no history car. Find those two prices and split the difference. The list of negatives on this car being a 200k car is staggering

non numbers matching, dif, engine, trans
3-4 paint jobs
large number of history gaps
no racing history
no celebrity history
needs rust repair on almost every panel, plus entire roof cut
needs extensive and costly full restoration, further making it not original as sold condition
interior is beyond saving even for a patina car

OK… but what have real R-code 4spd cars sold for in the last few years? Five years?

The only one I know of is:

1. Matching numbers, all original drive train
  2. GT-E
  3. Original paint
  4. Low mileage
  5. Original family ownership since new
  6. Running and driving perfectly
  7. No rust
  8. Perfect original interior

In other words, not in any way comparable to the current auction.

Royce, are you talking about the Owlshead green GTE car?

Yes. It lives about 3 miles from my house.

So we know there were only 3 GTE 428 CJ cars. However the 428 CJ was available in non gte cars as this one is. How many of those were 4 sp? Any recent sales history on a non GTE 428CJ. No way can this car be compared to a matching numbers GTE