Heading for Dearborn "Ginger's great advanture"

This is the place for your Cougar adventure stories. Do you drive your Classic Cougar? Tell us about it!
9F91H581221
Registered Member

Re: Heading for Dearborn "Ginger's great advanture"

Post by 9F91H581221 » 14 Jun 2017, 20:20

Wow Neal, this is quite a trip! You probably went 500 miles in the time it took me to read through it.

badcatt
Registered Member

Post by badcatt » 14 Jun 2017, 21:22

I got myself ready to hit the road this morning and took my things down to the car to find it had rained last night. Not a bid deal. I made sure all was good under the hood and checked the tires and hit the road. It was nice and cool. I pulled across the hi-way to fill up at a Shell station and found this green fallow.
On ward and for the first time since the first night out I could run with the windows up and not get roasted. And It felt nice. I was able to make good use of 5th gear. For those that had asked, I double checked the speed using the Nav and the RPM ant 65 and 85At 65 it turns 2300 in 4th and 1475 in 5th. At 80 in 4th I have 3200 and 5th it is down to 1750. I was making good time and ran with it until about nood when I decided to stop for a lunch. I stopped in Plankinton SD at the Roadhouse Pub. The BLT was just the size I was looking for. Not to big and well priced. Sandwich and an ice Tea were under $5,00.
After a brief stop for gas I was back on the road. Again making good time. Well, about 40 some miles up I see a rest stop with a large sculpture. So I have to stop. This was at Chamberlain, A stop for Lewis and Clark on their travels. I found a number of things to photograph here. First is the sculpture that cought my eye, it is of Sacagawea.
Nearby is a sweeping view of the Missouri River. A trail fo;;ows the edge of the hill giving many areas to view the valley and river below.
Not far away is an interpretive center with a lot of information on The Lewis and Clark Expedition, also known as the Corps of Discovery Expedition and this scolupture.
So much for making good time. I get back up to speed on the interstate and I keep seeing billboards for “The Pioneer Auto Show & Prairie town” in Murdo. So being a gear head, car guy I have to stop. I was there when I was a youngster. Well, if you like cars but don’t mind them not being pristine restored cars then this place has a lot to offer. I think they have something like 200 carsincluding some very nice ones and some not so nice ones.
And yes, that is a General Lee behind the Lincoln.
This is one of the nicer cars. It is a 1931 Packard and It belonged to the Movie Star Tom Mix. It is behind glass. Most are behind wire.
You don’t see to many of this model Rambler Rebel Machine
They even have the King’s Hog.
I even found a 67 XR-7 in building 2. It looks solid, but the interior has been redone is a two tone custom job. Sorry, but with the windows up I could not get good pictures.
[ img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4216/3447 ... 8a88_c.jpg[/img]
I promise, this is the last one from the “The Pioneer Auto Show & Prairie town”. Over all I think it was worth the price of admission. It cost me $11.50 to get in.
I’m spending tonight just West of Rapid City S.D. I had planned to go on in to Wyoming. But I was getting tired and decided to stop at a place I have spent time in before. I have 2 more days of driving to get home. About 1200 miles to go. I will be back tomorrow with an update. I think I will meet up with and pass Heather and Scott and the others running with them some time tomorrow evening. Stay tuned.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue For Sale.
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior For Sale.
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

guitar74
Registered Member

Post by guitar74 » 15 Jun 2017, 10:11

Love the pics of the Chanute AFB. I remember being a kid and watching planes land before it was closed. This is also the area that my father in law got stuck in during his last years in the military. He said it was the boredom of being in central Illinois that caused him to retire. His exact words were "Screw this! I'm out of here!"

R Code
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by R Code » 15 Jun 2017, 12:40

Safe travels!
- Chris

1967 Std 4 speed conversion
1969 XR-7 "R Code" Convertible
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

badcatt
Registered Member

Post by badcatt » 15 Jun 2017, 22:26

It was another cool morning and I could see in the distance that clouds were to the west. When I say the Mountains and they had snow on them I had some concerns, but the snow was much higher than the Interstate. It is so much more pleasant being able to hear the stereo without having to crank it up over the wind noise of the down windows.
Later on I spotted an airplane mounted on a pole in the distance. I had noticed several like this last year on another trip I took through Wyoming. And they are not military…
I stopped in Sheridan Wyoming for lunch and fuel. And then made a beeline toward the state line.
As I’m sure you know, Montana is a big state. Interstate 90 covers some 520 miles through this state. It has a lot of mountains to cross. So even though the speed limit is mostly 80 MPH you cannot maintain that with the trucks and construction. I think I did well covering the distance I did today, 650 miles. With the fuel, food and rest brakes making it to Missoula MT at 7:15 PM local time.
I found my self a room and then went and got a bite to eat. Called my Granddaughtert o wish her a good night and sat down to do this update. I have a little over 500 miles to go. I should be home tomorrow afternoon.
I will have one more report on the trip tomorrow evening and then do a recap on Sunday. Thanks for following this.
Last edited by badcatt on 19 Jun 2017, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
- Mark Twain -

MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MrEos » 16 Jun 2017, 09:25

badcatt wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 22:26

That there is a beautiful shot of your car. And, congratulations on winning the longest-drive-to-the-show award.

badcatt
Registered Member

Post by badcatt » 17 Jun 2017, 11:11

Good morning folks, I apologize for not doing this update last night as promised. But I couldn’t muster the ambition to do it last night. I ended up falling asleep in my recliner with the TV on.
I got up earl y and went down for breakfast to find I had caught up with some others from the Cascade Cougar club. I had breakfast with Jim and Elaine Pinkerton. Heather Whitaker and Scott Ferguson were also in the hotel but were sleeping in as they pony planed to go on to Coeur d’Alene Idaho to take ion the Car d’Alene show later.
I bid Missoula good by about 6:45 am. It was the coolest morning so far on the trip. Gray skies and threatening weather were ahead. It is about 100 miles to the Idaho border and the rain came soon after hitting the road. As this is mountainous area I was not going to try to make good time anyway. But with wet roads I was slower then I had planned. I made a quick stop at the Idaho border to get a quick picture, but I didn’t feel like getting wet so I took it from my seat, nice and dry.
I made it through Idaho, splashing and running the wipers most of the way. I couldn’t get a glamour shot of the Welcome to Washington sign as for some reason it is in the median with no place to stop.
I made it through Spokane and on West to Ritzville where I stopped for lunch and fuel. It was raining lightly and the skies were still gray. Usually the East side of Washington it sunny this time of year, or at least it is when I go over there.
I made a stop just East of Vantage WA at a view point overlooking the Columbia gorge and took some pictures. What a view.
Note the clouds and to the left in the distance it is raining. I soon got back underway. Only to find the worst traffic congestion of the trip so far in between Ellensburg and Cle Elum do to road construction. It took about 45 minutes to go about 15 miles. Back moving at speed I ran it to more rain on the East side of Snoqualmie pass. Only to find decent weather on the West side. The half of Washington I lovingly call the Great North Wet.
I cut off Interstate 90 at Preston and headed north through the Snoqualmie valley on State road 202 through Fall City, Carnation and Duvall and in to Monroe where I got back on to US-2, to Interstate 5 and on home to Camano Island.
I pulled in to my driveway at about 7.00PM I had covered some 5610 miles on this little excursion. Traveled in 12 states and met countless people and made memory’s of a lifetime.
Tomorrow I will do a recap and epilogue of this amazing trip. Thanks for following me as I did this trip.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
See ya on the hiways,
- Mark Twain -

SPLINEHEAD
Registered Member

Post by SPLINEHEAD » 17 Jun 2017, 11:22

Welcome Home!!

Gary Hill
Pole Cat
1969 XR7 390 S code 4bbl C6 3.0 TrueTrac rear end

lslracing
Registered Member

Post by lslracing » 17 Jun 2017, 11:56

Great trip, I enjoyed checking your progress every day when I went online. The views and info about places you traveled thru was great. Thanks for sharing. How about a new reality show "Real road trips"
Thanks again
Larry

badcatt
Registered Member

Post by badcatt » 17 Jun 2017, 12:56

lslracing wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 11:56
Thanks for sharing. How about a new reality show "Real road trips"
Thanks again
Larry
Larry, I second that motion. All in favor just smile.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
See ya on the hiways,
- Mark Twain -