Long Trip

This is the place for your Cougar adventure stories. Do you drive your Classic Cougar? Tell us about it!
berns68
Registered Member

Re: Long Trip

Post by berns68 » 17 Feb 2016, 09:18

Yorgle wrote:
berns68 wrote:I am curious if you took into consideration the amount of salt on the roads in the Midwest this time of year?
The last 200 miles coming home were following a snowstorm, so entire car was quite literally caked with salt and brine. I spent nearly $15.00 at the car wash scrubbing it all off, top to bottom and underneath.
I commend you for taking the trip and enjoying the cruise. I always worry about all the places salt residue can hide and cause damage a year or two later(behind rocker panels, front fenders, inside doors) just like it did when these cars were brand new.
Anyway Yorgle I'm glad someone in the Midwest is enjoying their Cougar.
Last edited by berns68 on 22 Feb 2016, 08:02, edited 2 times in total.
Mike

1968 Standard Hardtop, Nordic Blue
302 F code, updated to 4V
Originally 1 of 2
ROTM May 2014
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3854
C.A.T.S. Classic Cougar Club member #16-10
CCOA member #9618

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 17 Feb 2016, 16:11

Jody you're the man! Taking the daily driver to a whole new level, in the snow and salt no less. :thumbup:
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance

cougear
Registered Member

Post by cougear » 22 Feb 2016, 07:32

Mines not ready for any long trips yet. Hell, I probably shouldn't even be driving it now. But all my cars have been drivers. I'd bet you'd suffer the pain of a stiff leg for the feel of an open road trip again soon. I found an old still in the box sears cruise control for my last car (72 maverick) and made a couple few trips like that. The last one being from Detroit to Atlanta to bring home the extra parts that came with my 67 xr7.

Yorgle
Registered Member

Post by Yorgle » 22 Feb 2016, 09:51

cougear wrote:Mines not ready for any long trips yet. Hell, I probably shouldn't even be driving it now. But all my cars have been drivers. I'd bet you'd suffer the pain of a stiff leg for the feel of an open road trip again soon. I found an old still in the box sears cruise control for my last car (72 maverick) and made a couple few trips like that. The last one being from Detroit to Atlanta to bring home the extra parts that came with my 67 xr7.
I just finished installing an old Audiovox cruise control system this weekend. I picked it up last week on ebay for cheap because the kit was missing the throttle linkage parts and some to the electrical connectors, but I figured I could cobble something together to make it work. I'm happy to report that my first test drive with it was this morning and it worked perfectly, even going up long steep hills. I can't believe I didn't check into this years ago!
1968 XR-7 Augusta Green, J-Code, 5 litre, Autolite 6100, 5 spd, convertible with heated seats, cruise control and rear sway bar.

BTW, I think electronic ignition is pointless.

Yorgle
Registered Member

Post by Yorgle » 22 Feb 2016, 14:46

Yorgle wrote:
cougear wrote:Mines not ready for any long trips yet. Hell, I probably shouldn't even be driving it now. But all my cars have been drivers. I'd bet you'd suffer the pain of a stiff leg for the feel of an open road trip again soon. I found an old still in the box sears cruise control for my last car (72 maverick) and made a couple few trips like that. The last one being from Detroit to Atlanta to bring home the extra parts that came with my 67 xr7.
I just finished installing an old Audiovox cruise control system this weekend. I picked it up last week on ebay for cheap because the kit was missing the throttle linkage parts and some to the electrical connectors, but I figured I could cobble something together to make it work. I'm happy to report that my first test drive with it was this morning and it worked perfectly, even going up long steep hills. I can't believe I didn't check into this years ago!
FYI: for anyone interested, I posted a write-up of my installation so far on my CopyCatVert thread in the Project forum.
1968 XR-7 Augusta Green, J-Code, 5 litre, Autolite 6100, 5 spd, convertible with heated seats, cruise control and rear sway bar.

BTW, I think electronic ignition is pointless.

cougear
Registered Member

Post by cougear » 24 Feb 2016, 14:48

I saw your installation write up. Mine has the pick up on the drive shaft and the switch on the turn signal. Got it on ebay also, never installed and all parts. I pulled it and every usable part out of the maverick when I scrapped it. I'm slowly getting it all put in my cougar. Remote door locks, power trunk, power windows, cruise control. And anything else I can find to make me feel lazy in my old age.

TJWilly
Registered Member

Post by TJWilly » 25 Feb 2016, 14:02

Very cool trip!!
1968 Cougar xr7 GT. 390 C6.