Design the ultimate road trip Cougar

This is the place to kick a few tires, drink a few beers, and tell a few tales.
1967 S Code
Registered Member

Re: Design the ultimate road trip Cougar

Post by 1967 S Code » 27 May 2017, 10:09

I forgot to add to my 68 XR7G usb charging ports, Sirius satellite radio w/Bluetooth phone hands free system. Power windows w/stock looking crank handle. Removable cup holders. Rear teather system for my youngest sons car seat. Modern seat belts.
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance, XR7S Taillight Bars

badcatt
Registered Member

Post by badcatt » 27 May 2017, 13:08

I'll be heading to Dearborn next week in my 70 XR-7 hardtop. I wold have liked to have a few more upgrades first. I have aa 5 speed, but am still running 3.00 gears. Should be good for mileage. And it gets up and goes well. I have a stereo with both USB and aux inputs. I plan to use the aux and play music from my phone.(about 700 song file) I have a Garmin and a dash cam. What I wold like to have is the A/C working. A bolt on EFI and 4 wheel disc brakes. A bigger front sway bar and a rear one. I have but have not installed them yet. Having some better front seats redone to look stock would be great too.

I'm not sure how I will feel about the 5 speed when I get in to traffic in places I don't know. But I doubt I'll face many hills like in San Francisco or even Seattle. But I'm sure I can handle it. I hope to see a few Cougars in Dearborn with bugs in the grills.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue For Sale.
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior For Sale.
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

Whatacougar
Registered Member

Post by Whatacougar » 27 May 2017, 15:01

Bill, all this talk about seats reminded me of those nice Porsche seats you had in your Big Block/Small Block G. I still think about upgrading my seats some day.

One of my biggest concerns about road trips is the lack of locking features. No hood, steering, or transmission locks. I'm not sure a security system alone would let me sleep at night.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 27 May 2017, 15:35

Can't drive it if some one steals it! Good point. And I dyed the seats dark green and put them in my wife's '67.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

Local Hero
Registered Member

Post by Local Hero » 27 May 2017, 21:11

I don't have prices but I'll make a list of what I would want for the "ultimate" road trip Cougar. I'm a good part of the way there. But there are still some items on the list I don't have yet.

Engine: Warmed over small block with an aftermarket self tuning EFI, a big radiator, extra cooling fans, a high torque starter, and a big battery with lots of cranking amps.

Suspension: R&P steering, big disc brakes on all corners, tubular upper and lower control arms, bigger front sway bar, rear sway bar, Ridetech shockwaves on all four corners, four-link rear, subframe connectors, monte carlo bar, and shelby type export brace, at least 17" wheels and tires all around

Interior: aftermarket gauges replacing the XR 7 instrumentation, bolstered comfy seats, three point seat belts, Vintage AC with heat and defrost, smoke tinted glass, a full blown stereo system with ipod technology, smartphone charger port, and space age sound deadening and heat barrier insulation.

Others: Some sort of overdrive transmission, either AOD or at least a manual 5 speed. All LED lighting, a 70 gas tank with extra capacity, cruise control, ABS brakes, and an all expenses paid credit card to cover gas, food and lodging. 8-)
Mark
Buckeye Boys Rod & Custom - East
Anyone can restore a classic... it takes a real man to cut one up.

2NDXRND
Registered Member
Location: Michigans Upper Peninsula (the REAL northern Michigan!)

Post by 2NDXRND » 28 May 2017, 04:34

I'm in the camp O' Markus. I like/want a lot of the things he listed. I have some, not all.
Sent from the past using my Ouija board.

There she stood in the doorway. I heard the mission bell and I was thinking to myself
This could be heaven or this could be the Curb....

lslracing
Registered Member

Post by lslracing » 28 May 2017, 07:44

I will buck the trend, since my 69 ragtop is a 390 C-6 car. The car has PS PDB A/C Tilt and PW to start with. The 390 would be bored and stroked to 444ci with aluminum heads, intake and a very mild hyd roller cam. EFI depends on how much budget I can afford. The engine also will have a Cobra T Pan and external oil cooler. Trans I will most likley stay with the C-6 (external trans cooler) deep trans pan with a gear vendors O/D (I have not heard great things about the AOD behind a big block) The rear a 9 inch with 3:50 or 3:91 gears. Front suspension 1" lower 720 lbs springs big sway bar and konis, rear 1/2" lower with konis and a rear sway bar. Tire not sure yet. Interior upgrades to the seats, sound system.

guitar74
Registered Member

Post by guitar74 » 29 May 2017, 13:54

I would drive mine as is. Throw a spare coil, pertronix, fuel pump, v reg., and solenoid in a toolbox and I'm good to go. I love the way mine drives and behaves. Even w/3.55 gears. I don't think I could ask for any more reliability from my '68. Much like my '77 LTD II, this car refuses not to run.

Oh wait a second.... I will take a couple of them cup holders that fit in the window channel. The rest of the stuff I mentioned is just sheer paranoia.

contibob
Registered Member

Post by contibob » 29 May 2017, 20:37

XR7 G428 My cross country trip in the 57 was in November. Warmed up nicely the closer I got to the west coast. My friends all thought I was nuts to drive it all that way, I just told them "They did it back in 57". For me, I would say the same thing about my Cougar, "They did it in 67". I appreciate all the creature comforts that have come to pass in modern cars, but the thrill for me is to drive my older cars as they were built. If I want absolute comfort and reliabilty on a cross country trip I would take my 1969 Lincoln Continental. It is like sitting in my Living Room only on wheels. If I keep my foot out of that big ole 460, it has gotten 18 MPG on the Highway and I can live with that. I do agree with Guitar, a few essential parts, fluids and a good set of tools. Once a month I drive the 2 hour drive up to see my family and take one of my old cars each time, the only cars I see broken down on the side of the road are newer cars. Of course that is what is mainly on the roads. Thankfully we all have different ideas about our old cars and road trips.

cyclonelou
Registered Member

Post by cyclonelou » 29 May 2017, 23:13

It could also be said-They were born to run so run 'em.