Keep the factory radio and add music from your phone?

This is the place to kick a few tires, drink a few beers, and tell a few tales.
xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Keep the factory radio and add music from your phone?

Post by xr7g428 » 19 Feb 2016, 17:23

Yes. Anything you have on your phone or want to add as an ap will run in the car.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

Cougars_R_Grr8
Registered Member

Post by Cougars_R_Grr8 » 19 Feb 2016, 17:28

I like the idea as long as it is priced competitively with other options. I was thinking of having to cut the front off a stock radio and use it as a facade for a slide out stereo.
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 4v J Code 4 spd (1 of 536) *SOLD*
'73 F250 XLT Ranger - 390 *Also SOLD*
'63 F100 Stepside - *NEW PROJECT*
'14 Camaro SS vert

CatsRock
Registered Member

Post by CatsRock » 19 Feb 2016, 17:50

I'll jump on the minority bandwagon and say not interested. I hardly turn the radio on in the vert, and yes i replaced the factory am/8track with a nice sony am/fm/cd/usb/iphone/bluetooth for about a buck n a half, and it has a working clock :lol: That being said I don't take road trips which would probably change my interest if I did. :smoke:
08 Suburban
1973 XR7 351Q Vert
EX 1975 Cougar XR7
EX 1972 Cougar XR7 Vert
EX 1967 Cougar

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 19 Feb 2016, 20:26

Part of what got me started was thinking about driving cross country in a Cougar. It isn't for everybody, just listening to the exhaust can be pretty good.

G Dub
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by G Dub » 19 Feb 2016, 20:44

So the AM radio would work and look just like always, and I can listen to my favorite internet radio stations? Sounds good then. I would be in for 2 of them when my cars are back on the road. I'll need speakers too, cause each car only has one in the dash currently. The wireless charging doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather plug it into a USB.

MrEos
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MrEos » 20 Feb 2016, 09:18

I like the concept. Smartphone integration with car audio seems almost mandatory nowadays - at least for daily drivers.

When Bill was discussing this recently at the Gathering in Phoenix, I told the story of my daily driver ('07 Hyundai Santa Fe), and its old-fashioned AM/FM with CD. I had been upgraded a year or so ago by the rental car place into a Mercedes with all the technology, and that got me thinking of buying a new car. I couldn't find anything I liked as much as my SantaFe, but realized it was the tech that was missing. I ending up buying a Pioneer 4100NEX that gives Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Now my Santa Fe has navigation, Pandora and other streaming services, HD radio, etc. I figure I saved about $40k buying a radio instead of a car.

One issue that might arise is the need to update firmware. Seems like every time Apple or Android updates, it breaks something. You might need a USB port (or WiFi chip) on your head unit to avoid becoming a brick.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 20 Feb 2016, 10:15

Mr. Eos, you are on the money about updates. In my system the updates are mostly handled by the phone since it provides the source and does all the heavy lifting computationally. One thing that I am paying attention to is the Blue Tooth connectivity. I am trying to use replaceable Blue Tooth modules so that if there was ever a new BT standard that was not backwards compatible, the product could be updated.

We are going to use BT 4.0 in the products. The big advantage of 4.0 is that is uses very little power so it is ideal for use with a phone. Blue Tooth 2.0 is still around but it is not well suited to streaming. There is also a 5.1 version that would give us more control functions if needed, for example if we wanted to control the color of LED lights or possibly operate a DSP in a very elaborate system. If we did want to make the change it would be a simple as swapping out the modules.

8F91F
Registered Member

Post by 8F91F » 20 Feb 2016, 11:14

I like the idea. I like that I can keep (read: re-install) my stock AM radio and have seamless access to modern audio entertainment without any modification to the stock components.

I'm not sure about the wireless charging - how exactly does that work again?

One thing that I think may be missing is the other side of BT connectivity with a smart phone: the telephonic communication part. I've been researching BT connectivity for our '05 Toyota Sienna, mostly for the kids' audio. But my wife and I also like the fact that we'll have integrated access to our telephones for communication, too. Auto-mute the entertainment, answer and use the telephone, and then go back to audio when the call ends. I know that involves adding a microphone to the system, and probably more robust controls --could it be done with just one plug-into-the-cigarette-lighter-outlet-control?-- but I think it would seal the deal for me.

The biggest plus, though, is that this is easily reversible, should there ever be a desire to revert to true stock.
Nate

1968 2-Door Hardtop | 8F91F587473
302 2V / 3-speed Manual / 2.79:1
Saxony Yellow / Med. Saddle Vinyl / Decor Group
Purchased 5/26/1987 @ 94,167 miles

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 14 Mar 2016, 09:45

Hi Bill,

Kenwood KAC-M1824BT

Saw this post from AndrewB on MCnet (the for profit site) and thought of this thread. I'm not saying it's the same thing you are working on/proposing but it seems like it might be (I'll leave the comparing and contrasting to you!):

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/sho ... post907865

Perhaps I have missed critical things that make them different (wouldn't be the first time) but thought I would post about it to hopefully find out.

Regards,

Robert
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 14 Mar 2016, 12:57

The Kenwood is a nice product, but there are many differences. First off with what I am working on, you can leave the factory radio in place, and when you turn on the factory radio it will become the source and play through all of the speakers. When you turn it off then the box will link up with your phone automatically and play music (or anything else you phone can do) from that source. They have a large controller with a thick cable, that you have to find a place to mount. My controller will plug into the cigarette lighter and communicate with the brain box and the phone wirelessly. We are using a shaft mounted knob to control the system. The shaft will let you use your existing cigarette lighter knob to control the system. The controller on my system is actually optional. You can control it with your phone directly.

Size wise they are about the same size, although the Kenwood is a bit thicker. Power wise they are pretty close as well.

The Kenwood product is really intended to provide a music source on a boat or OHV, not integrate with a classic car radio. My product could be used the same way, but it there would be a lot of functionality that you would not need that makes it better for use in classic cars.