Keep the factory radio and add music from your phone?

This is the place to kick a few tires, drink a few beers, and tell a few tales.
xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keep the factory radio and add music from your phone?

Post by xr7g428 » 19 Feb 2016, 12:48

Would you like to be able to keep your factory radio, but add music from your phone?

I need your help if this is something you would like to see.

a little back ground:

My professional career was working in the 12 volt car stereo business. I guess all the good drug dealer jobs were already taken. Anyway, I made a good living while listening to music all day. While I enjoy the sound of a V8 rumble, I still think that good music can add to the driving experience.

But I also dread the thought of butchering the dash of my cars, or even removing a really cool factory AM 8 track. And it is also cool to be able to play that original radio too...

All of my music is now on my phone and there are aps for an AM/FM Stereo tuner as well as streaming services like I♥radio and Pandora. So what is needed is a way to let me play my music through the same speakers as the factory radio.

So I have been doing product development work on a new system for our classic cars. One of the hardest things to do is to explain a new technology and make it simple to understand. The best way I know of is to have conversations about the product and see where it leads. I need to know what the questions are that need to be answered, and then learn how to clearly, and concisely, answer them.

So let me start by explaining what it is that I am working on. There are three parts: The Box, The Controller, and The Mount.

The Box

The heart of the system is a Box containing a very compact 4 channel amplifier. It is about the size of 2 iPhones stacked on top of each other. This is an extremely compact high efficiency digital amp. Back in the 90's this amp would have been the size of a phone book. Each channel is 50 watts RMS into 4 ohms. To hook it up you will need to run one 12 gauge wire up to the positive battery post, plug the speaker output from your radio into the supplied matching adapter, and hook up your speakers. The amp is small enough to hide behind the dash.

Inside the Box is a smart Blue Tooth receiver. This allows the Box to receive music from your phone with no wires attached. It also can connect to a controller with a single knob that lets you adjust the volume, select the track, and pause or start play back.

There is also a device that steps down the output power of your radio so it can safely feed into the amplifier. No matter what kind of radio you have, Mono AM, Stereo or even Quadraphonic, you will hear it through all four speakers. When you turn on the factory radio, it will automatically turn on the amp and switch over to the radio for input signal. Now you can listen to a Doobie Brothers 8 track though all four speakers with 50 watts RMS per channel. The Box is compatible with all currently available speakers and radios, or can be used with no radio at all.

The Controller

The next part of the system is the Controller. The Controller has a single knob, (that can be replaced with a factory style knob). To install the Controller you unplug the cigarette lighter, and plug in the Controller. No wires to hook up. The Controller is about the same size as the cigarette lighter. When you push the knob in, it will either pause or resume play back, turn to the right and hold for volume up, turn to the left for volume down, or bump it to the right or left for the next or previous song. The controller lets you keep your phone in your pocket or where every you like to keep it. The controller is actually wirelessly connected to your phone and the amp, in control of both. It is pretty cool to turn the volume up on the controller and to see the volume bar on your iPhone moving.

To play music from your phone, you will go to settings and turn on Blue Tooth. The phone will automatically search for the amp (you have to be within about 30 feet). When the system comes up on the screen select it. And then when you play music, or select an ap, it will play through the system automatically. Your phone is now the "radio" in the system. If you get a call it will automatically mute and pause the music so you can answer the call. Music resumes when you hang up.

The Mount

If you don't want to use the Controller, the Box will happily work directly with your phone. The down side of streaming from your phone is that you have to have a place to mount the phone so you can get to it to change volume or select a track. You will also want to keep the display live so you don't have to unlock the phone every time you want to do something. If the display is always lit up, battery life suffers greatly.

The Mount provides a simple solution. It plugs into the cigarette lighter, has an adjustable goose neck so you can angle the phone for easy access and most importantly, it provides wireless recharging while you phone is in use. A very large number of Android phones have this capability built in, but it is very easy to add to any phone. A very, very, thin self adhesive mylar sheet goes on the back of your phone an connects to the charging jack via a tiny plug. Now you can stream music, run the navigation in your phone, and take calls as needed without worry about a dead battery.

There will also be three other Mount options. a universal type, (suction cup) a flat single DIN and a flat double DIN. The truth is that once you discover what your phone can do, you really don't need a radio in your car at all. The DIN plates make it easy to use your phone, in the landscape mode in the place of your factory radio, in newer cars.

All of the technology described here is done tested and for the most part patented or patent pending. Ideally this product will be available before Christmas 2016 or early spring 2017. The Box and Controller system is expected to retail at about $250. The Mount $50.

If you have read this far, THANK YOU! members on the board will get first shot at this and at a nice discount.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

SPLINEHEAD
Registered Member

Re: Keep the factory radio and add music from your phone?

Post by SPLINEHEAD » 19 Feb 2016, 13:11

Read and understand the write up above. What exactly are you looking for with input from us? I have some thoughts but don't want to post them yet without understanding what it is that you are looking for.

Gary Hill
Pole Cat
1969 XR7 390 S code 4bbl C6 3.0 TrueTrac rear end

mo2872
Registered Member

Post by mo2872 » 19 Feb 2016, 13:25

He's asking if that would be a product that would be of interest to us Cougar owners, or not?

To me, no, as I'm not going back in with a factory radio in the factory location.
T3
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 19 Feb 2016, 13:36

If something like this were to come out, I'd consider going BACK to a factory AM in Isabel! Sounds great Bill and I would be interested when it becomes available.
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

johnboy
Registered Member

Post by johnboy » 19 Feb 2016, 13:53

Same Here!

i would absolutely put the original AM back in.

no plans to, maybe, add a usb input wire for a key?

i have way more on a 64Gb or 128 Gb key than in my phone
68 XR7 J code madras blue/aqua

Proud Member of the Curbsters

rides are at https://www.motortopia.com/members/johnboy/mediapress/

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

mo2872
Registered Member

Post by mo2872 » 19 Feb 2016, 13:55

Is this not something that is already available from places like Classic Audio(I think that's the name anyway).....? I know you could get iPod/Mp3 added to your existing radio. Maybe I'm dreaming?

Edit.....nope, not dreaming.

OK, playing devils advocate here, Bill, how is yours different/better than this: http://www.barrys8trackrepair.com/Aurora.html
T3

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

ccarney69
Registered Member

Post by ccarney69 » 19 Feb 2016, 14:02

I would be interested in more than one, with out a doubt. I assume my passangers could also connect via Bluetooth if they wanted to or I allowed them into the system. Would this system have that capability?
1968 GT-E 427 Standard Nordic Blue/Black Décor, driver
1969 XR7 R Code 4 Speed Yellow/Black Top Black Interior, current project no.1
1969 XR7 Q Code C6 Green/Black Top Dark Ivy Green Interior, current project no. 2
CCOA #8275
MACC

SPLINEHEAD
Registered Member

Post by SPLINEHEAD » 19 Feb 2016, 14:25

mo2872 wrote:Is this not something that is already available from places like Classic Audio(I think that's the name anyway).....? I know you could get iPod/Mp3 added to your existing radio. Maybe I'm dreaming?

OK, playing devils advocate here, Bill, how is yours different/better than this: http://www.barrys8trackrepair.com/Aurora.html
This is the direction I was going but did not want to be the devils advocate until I knew. My am radio was upgraded buy Tyman Electric in Florida. It has blue tooth, aux jacks, and higher output. Now there does appear to be a price break in Bill's unit of around a couple hundred bucks. Pulling the radio and getting it converted seems to me like a better option provided you have the $$$,

My 2 cents, No offence intended Bill.

Gary Hill
Pole Cat
1969 XR7 390 S code 4bbl C6 3.0 TrueTrac rear end

mo2872
Registered Member

Post by mo2872 » 19 Feb 2016, 14:30

SPLINEHEAD wrote:
mo2872 wrote:Is this not something that is already available from places like Classic Audio(I think that's the name anyway).....? I know you could get iPod/Mp3 added to your existing radio. Maybe I'm dreaming?

This is the direction I was going but did not want to be the devils advocate until I knew. My am radio was upgraded buy Tyman Electric in Florida. It has blue tooth, aux jacks, and higher output. Now there does appear to be a price break in Bill's unit of around a couple hundred bucks. Pulling the radio and getting it converted seems to me like a better option provided you have the $$$,

My 2 cents, No offence intended Bill.
Yes, Bills price point is better, for sure. Noticed that after the fact, and didn't feel like editing again. LOL
T3

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 19 Feb 2016, 14:33

Great feedback! There really are no bad question or comments. If this is bad idea I would prefer to know that now rather than later.

What I am looking for:

One problem with tech products is that you can read a description of the product and still not have the slightest idea of what it does or why you might want it. After reading all that, do you understand what it does and why you might want it? If so, is there a shorter easier way to describe this?

MO2872, no radio is required at all. This is actually using your phone as a competitor to replacement radio. Any appeal there? (Not trying to talk you into this, just interested in the decision process)

There are lots of Blue Tooth equipped after market radios out there, and lots of new cars have this built in.

What Barry does is incredibly cool, The big difference is going to be cost (conversions are very expensive). and not having your original radio modified. It looks like adding FM and Blue Tooth is $495 from Barry.

Yes, your passenger could link to the system via blue tooth if you allowed them to do so.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry