Legendary Cougar Magazine

This is the place to kick a few tires, drink a few beers, and tell a few tales.
1969eliminator
Registered Member

Post by 1969eliminator » 17 Dec 2018, 19:15

Just wondering if anybody else is missing this excellent magazine?? I've always enjoyed reading it but seem to not have seen or received one in almost a year now. Did my subscription expire?
1969 Eliminator 351-4V M-code (original owner)

Harry

Al Bundy
Registered Member

Re: Legendary Cougar Magazine

Post by Al Bundy » 17 Dec 2018, 19:56

I can’t tell you when my last one arrived, but it wasn’t that long ago.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black

68gurney
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by 68gurney » 17 Dec 2018, 20:27

I have every issue. Would very much like it to continue. But I guess there are not enough willing parties to pay for it.. Too bad.
Last edited by 68gurney on 18 Dec 2018, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
1968 Cougar - Dan Gurney Special, Polar White/Black Decor, 302 J-code, PS, PB, AC, AM/FM

1969 Cougar - XR7 Convertible, Dark Aqua/White, 390 S-Code, 4 Speed, PS, PB, PW, AM-8 Track

1970 Cougar - Std Coupe, Augusta Green, Med Green Comfort Weave Decor, 429-4V, TKO 5-SP, PS, PB, AC, AM/FM

1969eliminator
Registered Member

Post by 1969eliminator » 17 Dec 2018, 20:58

My last one was Vol.3 Issue 4, received 2/1/2018. Are there any newer issues?
1969 Eliminator 351-4V M-code (original owner)

Harry

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 18 Dec 2018, 12:04

Unfortunately we never were able to build the subscription numbers to the point where the magazine was able to actually pay its way. That meant that Rich, my wife Debbie and I were working for pretty close to nothing. The down side is that if any one of us can't do our part, we are screwed because there is no budget to pay some one to do that part of the process. This has been a very tough year for all of us. In particular Rich has some vision issues that limit how many hours he can look at a computer screen. He still has to make a living so those hours have to go to put food on the table and roof over his head before he can devote time to LCM. In addition, both Rich and Debbie and I have been dealing with taking care of our elderly parents who are in failing health. This has involved out of state travel and other commitments. If that were not enough, our printer is a local mom and pop, and the mom who really runs the show, had to have brain surgery, pretty tough when you have a one year old baby to take care of too. It has been along process for them to get back on their feet. On the up side Debbie and I are first time grandparents so we have also had some joy in our lives. We are still committed to getting the last two issues out and a large part of the content is complete for both issues.

We probably should have read the writing on the wall and stopped at Volume 2 but we wanted to continue through the anniversary years. We are grown ups and this is entirely our responsibility. If we for some reason can't get the last two issues out we will refund the difference. I know that most of the readers want the magazine so we are working towards that end.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

Al Bundy
Registered Member

Post by Al Bundy » 18 Dec 2018, 12:16

xr7g428 wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 12:04
Unfortunately we never were able to build the subscription numbers to the point where the magazine was able to actually pay its way. That meant that Rich, my wife Debbie and I were working for pretty close to nothing. The down side is that if any one of us can't do our part, we are screwed because there is no budget to pay some one to do that part of the process. This has been a very tough year for all of us. In particular Rich has some vision issues that limit how many hours he can look at a computer screen. He still has to make a living so those hours have to go to put food on the table and roof over his head before he can devote time to LCM. In addition, both Rich and Debbie and I have been dealing with taking care of our elderly parents who are in failing health. This has involved out of state travel and other commitments. If that were not enough, our printer is a local mom and pop, and the mom who really runs the show, had to have brain surgery, pretty tough when you have a one year old baby to take care of too. It has been along process for them to get back on their feet. On the up side Debbie and I are first time grandparents so we have also had some joy in our lives. We are still committed to getting the last two issues out and a large part of the content is complete for both issues.

We probably should have read the writing on the wall and stopped at Volume 2 but we wanted to continue through the anniversary years. We are grown ups and this is entirely our responsibility. If we for some reason can't get the last two issues out we will refund the difference. I know that most of the readers want the magazine so we are working towards that end.
For what it's worth Bill, if the last two issues can't happen I do not want a refund. It's disappointing that the magazine can't continue, but being a small niche not surprising.
1974 Dodge Dart - daily driver
1963 Thunderbird Z code - raven black/red
1968 XR7 F code - diamond blue/blue
1968 XR7 J code - black/red
1968 J code - madras blue/aqua
1968 XR7 X code - lime frost/dark ivy gold
1968 GT-E XR7 W code prototype no. 500033 - cardinal red/black

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 18 Dec 2018, 13:10

Thanks Al I don't think it will come to that. I had also hoped we might find other enthusiasts with the time and skills needed to contribute, and that is always a possibility.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt » 18 Dec 2018, 13:20

Al Bundy wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 12:16
For what it's worth Bill, if the last two issues can't happen I do not want a refund. It's disappointing that the magazine can't continue, but being a small niche not surprising.
I'm with Al here. You have done a lot for the Cougar community. I don't need a refund. Use it to help keep this site going.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue For Sale.
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior For Sale.
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

Yorgle
Registered Member

Post by Yorgle » 18 Dec 2018, 13:33

I don't know if my subscription expired or not, but if applicable, I don't want a refund either. The issues I have are worth more to me than what you charged for them.
1968 XR-7 Augusta Green, J-Code, 5 litre, Autolite 6100, 5 spd, convertible with heated seats, cruise control and rear sway bar.

BTW, I think electronic ignition is pointless.

93RGTE
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by 93RGTE » 18 Dec 2018, 14:34

Sounds like a really tough go right now.

I think Neal and "Al" speak for most, if not all of us. Hang in - get to it if and when you can, and if not we'll be grateful with all you've done to date.
The magazines are a real treasure!
Gary