a locking rear axle

This is the place to kick a few tires, drink a few beers, and tell a few tales.
juels67
Registered Member

a locking rear axle

Post by juels67 »

Ok can someone explain to me what the A locking rear axle is all about or also known as Equa lok axle is that the same as a posi rear end?
im doing research on my car that I recently purchased and received the Marti report on it but have no clue as to what some of the meanings are

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Re: a locking rear axle

Post by Mike_B_SVT »

juels67 wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 14:02
Ok can someone explain to me what the A locking rear axle is all about or also known as Equa lok axle is that the same as a posi rear end?
im doing research on my car that I recently purchased and received the Marti report on it but have no clue as to what some of the meanings are
Can you post a picture of your Marti Report? I'm sure lots of us would love to see it, and be more than happy to explain all the various details :-)

Add a pic or two of your Cougar as well! We'd love to see that too!
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce »

The Equa Loc is a two pinion clutch - type limited slip differential that was used with small block and big blocks in Cougars in 1967. It was available in small block Cougars in 1968, while big blocks started using the four pinion Traction Loc limited slip differential. Starting in 1970 the 428SCJ Drag Pack cars used the Detroit Locker, a completely mechanical device that has no clutches, instead using a ratchet device.

The Equa Loc is generally not too good and some parts are no longer available. The Traction Loc is better but wears out pretty fast. At least parts are still available. The Detroit Locker is bulletproof and you can still buy a new one from Summit, Jegs, etc.

juels67 wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 14:02
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

CougarCJ
Registered Member

Post by CougarCJ »

[YouTube]https://youtu.be/LFdpIM5k_Sk[/YouTube]
Scott Behncke 1968 XR7
Carcheologist - West Coast Classic Cougar

propayne
Registered Member

Post by propayne »

^^^ LOL! I love that scene...

- Phillip

badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt »

propayne wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 07:13
^^^ LOL! I love that scene...

- Phillip
I liked the "It's trick question" about a 327 in a 55 Chevy Bel Air.
https://www.moviequotedb.com/movies/my- ... 15963.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nGQLQF1b6I
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue For Sale.
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior For Sale.
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

LSR Mike
Registered Member

Post by LSR Mike »

It's been a while since I saw that movie, thanks for the clips, they're great!
LSR Mike
1969 Cougar
Former Bonneville Record Holder (not in a Cougar)

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT »

"Imagine you're a deer..." >.>

I swear, she was the best part of the movie. Oh, and her acting was great too ;-)
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

Smilodon
Registered Member

Post by Smilodon »

The clutch-type limited slips never work that great, but they're better than nothing, at least until they burn up and wear out.

Detroit lockers are best for drag racing with modest street use, but they clunk around and they'll chew up your inside tires pretty bad if you get on it while going around corners.

The best choice for most hot street cars would probably be a torsen-type limited slip, like the Eaton Trutrac. Not the best for all-out drag racing or offroading, but it really helps when needed and won't wear out unless brutally abused.

...And did you say "Utes?"
I love Mustangs. They have a ton of great parts for my Cougar! :lol:

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce »

Detroit Lockers made in the past 40 years are utterly quiet. I have not noticed any unusual tire (other than self induced) wear since I installed mine in the GT-E back in 1994. It's got a little more than 30K miles since I installed it. I would not use anything else and have installed DL's in several other cars of my own and for others.

I suspect that you are simply repeating what you have heard and have no actual experience with a DL.

Smilodon wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 00:18
The clutch-type limited slips never work that great, but they're better than nothing, at least until they burn up and wear out.

Detroit lockers are best for drag racing with modest street use, but they clunk around and they'll chew up your inside tires pretty bad if you get on it while going around corners.

The best choice for most hot street cars would probably be a torsen-type limited slip, like the Eaton Trutrac. Not the best for all-out drag racing or offroading, but it really helps when needed and won't wear out unless brutally abused.

...And did you say "Utes?"
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar