69 suspension mods

Make your Cougar run faster, handle better, and jump higher... okay maybe not jump higher. If you feel the need for speed, this is the place.
DG57
Registered Member

69 suspension mods

Post by DG57 » 26 Feb 2018, 15:23

So we have the suspension apart on my sons’s 69 convertible. We’re planning on doing the Shelby/ Arning drop, new upper ball joints, new upper control arm bushings, roller spring perches, new tie rod ends and a rebuild of the power ram and control valve, and new rubber bushings for the strut bars and lower control arms.

Anybody use urethane bushings on the lower control arms?
I’ve heard they’re not a good idea on the strut bars. Any advise on shocks? We think these mods will give us a good start to making the car really handle.

sfhess
Registered Member

Re: 69 suspension mods

Post by sfhess » 26 Feb 2018, 17:12

Sounds like you have a good handle on what needs to be done.

I have had urethane strut rod bushings on my 69 XR 7 for many years with no ill effects. I have KYB gas shocks all the way around and they work fine.

I put urethane bushings in the rear springs and added a 3/4'-inch rear anti-roll bar along with a factory big-block front (15/16") anti-roll bar. Ride and handling are pretty good as far as I am concerned. I have original front springs and replaced the leaf springs about 15 years ago.

A Borgeson "remanufactured" original-style steering gearbox made a big difference in the steering. I have a urethane rag joint installed in the steering shaft as well.

DG57
Registered Member

Re: 69 suspension mods

Post by DG57 » 26 Feb 2018, 21:35

Did you use urethane in the lower control arm? I’ve read a lot of posts on Mustang boards that urethane could actually break the strut rods. We’re planning on reusing the original springs for now. Are you using roller spring perches?