Coilover help

Make your Cougar run faster, handle better, and jump higher... okay maybe not jump higher. If you feel the need for speed, this is the place.
jon_tue
Registered Member

Coilover help

Post by jon_tue » 14 Nov 2017, 12:17

Before making this post I tried to do an online search as well as a search on the boards, the last real coilover thread I saw was from 2012 and some of the links no longer work. The car is a 68 standard with the stock 302. The idea for the car is to be a cruiser that rides and handles well. The set up now is stock springs with some aftermarket shocks that I haven't identified yet, I actually like the ride but not the ride height. Lots of you have more experience then I do in this department so I came here to get some suggestions on a nice, simple set of coilovers. Google has pretty much showed me viking, tcp,qa1.For those with experience with coilers, I would love to get your feedback. Thank you in advance for your help.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coilover help

Post by xr7g428 » 14 Nov 2017, 13:35

Jon Tue, it won't help with coil overs, but as far you big objective "for the car to be a cruiser that rides and handles well" You might want to follow a project I am working on. Hotchkis has engineered a complete solution that covers everything from front to rear. I am currently in the process of installing it on my son's '68. It includes upper and lower control arms, new springs (front and rear), new sway bars, all four shocks, and strut rods. The product is stunningly beautiful, and made in the USA. I will be posting soon. I am waiting on some more parts to arrive and still pulling the original parts off the car.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

jon_tue
Registered Member

Post by jon_tue » 14 Nov 2017, 14:09

xr7g428 wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 13:35
Jon Tue, it won't help with coil overs, but as far you big objective "for the car to be a cruiser that rides and handles well" You might want to follow a project I am working on. Hotchkis has engineered a complete solution that covers everything from front to rear. I am currently in the process of installing it on my son's '68. It includes upper and lower control arms, new springs (front and rear), new sway bars, all four shocks, and strut rods. The product is stunningly beautiful, and made in the USA. I will be posting soon. I am waiting on some more parts to arrive and still pulling the original parts off the car.
Im going to check that out. Thank you so much for the reply.

5spd67
Registered Member

Post by 5spd67 » 17 Nov 2017, 10:36

xr7g428 wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 13:35
Bill, I have been wanting to do this set up on my new project. I have been keeping my eye on their website and they have never showed the Cougar kit with the correct leaf springs. Have you been in contact with them to know when those will be released?
Cameron Benoit
67 Cougar Std Modified - Factory Sheffield Silver
Cascade Classics

5spd67
Registered Member

Post by 5spd67 » 17 Nov 2017, 10:46

Jon, I had the full TCP coilover setup on my old car. It handled really nice but the ride quality wasn't has good as I would have liked. You really have to play around with the dampener adjustment to get the feel you want. Coilovers are always naturally stiffer so unless you are planning on tracking the car, I would just go with performance springs. One thing that does suck on the coilovers too is you have to remove your coil spring retainer plate on the bottom of the shock tower for install.
Cameron Benoit
67 Cougar Std Modified - Factory Sheffield Silver
Cascade Classics

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 » 17 Nov 2017, 11:44

The Hotchkis kit has been finalized, but they are just now in the process of running the first batch of rear springs. My plan is to do the front end first and then the back, so I have some time before the rear springs need to be here. The parts I have received so far are almost too beautiful, almost too nice to put on the car.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

wawazat
Registered Member

Post by wawazat » 17 Nov 2017, 19:19

5spd67 wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 10:46
Coilovers are always naturally stiffer so unless you are planning on tracking the car, I would just go with performance springs.
I would like to clarify that a bit. Coil over springs determine the stiffness (spring rate-in lbs/in ). There are many spring rates available so they aren't stiffer by design but by spring rate selection. They are most typically used when seeking higher performance and better handling which usually means increased spring rate though it isn't required. One of the benefits of a coilover suspension system is easy spring rate changes.

I'm installing the Street or Track front coilover kit on my car this winter. I built and installed a Ground Control/Koni system to replace the stock suspension on my former autocross Subaru SVX.
1969 Cougar convertible restomod

jon_tue
Registered Member

Post by jon_tue » 19 Nov 2017, 10:47

Thanks everyone for the input. As of now I don't ever plan on tracking the car, just occasionally drive it. I have plenty of time so I will keep researching the suggestions thrown my way. I also forgot to mention that outside of the function there is also the fashion issue is why I'm intrigued with coilovers. I do like the level look and I do like the flexibility coilovers give to change the ride height. Total different ball game but on my current car which is a honda I have been running coilovers for years because sometimes I run 15s,sometimes 16s.Also like I said I am a rookie and relearning all about this cars suspension break down which is why this site has been so helpful to me.

katnip302
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by katnip302 » 10 Dec 2017, 16:41

Hello Jon, Lot's of good info already posted on this topic from the other members who have commented.
Here's another company that you might consider researching: http://www.streetortrack.com/
katnip302

jon_tue
Registered Member

Post by jon_tue » 19 Dec 2017, 11:27

Thanks Katnip,I checked out that site it had some good stuff on there. Ive also been spending a little more time looking at several post and articles. For now I'm just saving my money and not just buying to buy, but I think I'm learning toward the single adjustable qa-1 coilovers.