Worth while suspension up grades.

Make your Cougar run faster, handle better, and jump higher... okay maybe not jump higher. If you feel the need for speed, this is the place.
TCELL
Registered Member

Worth while suspension up grades.

Post by TCELL » 17 Jul 2017, 22:33

While my engine is out, I want to freshen my suspension. It is a 1970, bone stock. I was looking at the complete kit from WCCC
http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/susp ... attribs=79
Are weld in shock tower plates a worthy mod?http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/towe ... attribs=79
Is the Shelby 1" drop worthwhile?
How about 1" drop springs?
I looking for a nice comfortable ride, that handles well. Can I have my cake and eat it too?
This car will not be a show car, or track car, but a driver. I figure while it is apart, if it is something I should do, I would rather do it now.
In addition will replace the rest of the rubber goods, sway bar, strut rod, shocks, etc.
1970 XR7 351w 2v White w/ Dark Tobbaco interior

Caleb
Registered Member

Re: Worth while suspension up grades.

Post by Caleb » 17 Jul 2017, 22:54

Are you unhappy with anything now? I totally agree on doing things while it's apart. It's just hard to say whats worth the effort for other people. I'm always interested on hearing opinions on the shelby drop as well.

hesmytaxguy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by hesmytaxguy » 17 Jul 2017, 23:23

I ended up replacing shocks and what likely were the original leaf springs on my 68. I'm with you in terms of wanting mainly a driver so leaning toward comfort (although I want solid handling too). I went with someone's suggestion on the shocks but have found them a little harsh. The leaf springs have made a world of difference both in the handling and comfort. The car had a noticeable squat (which younger kids thought was just WAAAY cool) but it now is more balanced and easier to get in to.

lslracing
Registered Member

Post by lslracing » 18 Jul 2017, 05:24

A larger front sway bar will take a good amount of lean out of the car in turns and wont really make the ride harsher. A really good set of shocks may help. I would start with the sway bar and see how you like it. I do not think you will notice the drop if you did it.

coachJack
Registered Member

Post by coachJack » 18 Jul 2017, 09:19

Here is a link http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/sho ... post579906 to the other site where different suspension setups have been discussed.

YMMV

Coach Jack

TCELL
Registered Member

Post by TCELL » 18 Jul 2017, 09:59

Caleb wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 22:54
Are you unhappy with anything now? I totally agree on doing things while it's apart. It's just hard to say whats worth the effort for other people. I'm always interested on hearing opinions on the shelby drop as well.
I drove aprox 3 miles, then purchased it from the prior owner, so no real drive time.

TCELL
Registered Member

Post by TCELL » 18 Jul 2017, 10:07

i think i have convinced myself to do the 1″ upper arm drop, and reinforcing plates. Unsure however regarding springs. Are 50yr springs, still good? Should I buy new stock springs?
Here is something I borrowed from the Opentracker website.

Arning drop ~ Shelby drop ~ 1″ upper arm drop
Overall performance improves when you lower the upper arm mounting point on the 60-68 Falcons and 64-70 Mustangs. In stock form, the top of the tire moves outward as it moves up in the wheel well. Moving the upper arm mounting point down changes the geometry so the tire moves more straight up in the wheel well. That gives you better grip and handling. There is no down side to it other than having to drill four half inch holes in your 50 year old classic.

Charles69
Registered Member

Post by Charles69 » 18 Jul 2017, 13:41

I just did the mods your talking about:

https://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/ ... =41&t=7620

I did the arning drop and welded in the shock tower braces as well as roller idler arm and roller spring perches. I also got the opentracker blueprinted upper control arms. All good stuff, the braces are just insurance against cracked shock towers in the future. Opentracker is awesome, send them an email and ask them to bundle your order to save on shipping. His shipping on the website is crazy high.

TCELL
Registered Member

Post by TCELL » 18 Jul 2017, 13:51

Charles, I just read your link, thank you. Can you tell me about the ride and handling. How does it compare to before? Was before, all stock?

Charles69
Registered Member

Post by Charles69 » 18 Jul 2017, 14:12

It was pretty much stock besides KYB's and a 1 piece shock tower brace. The suspension was completely worn so I can't say for sure which parts had the the most dramatic effect but all in all it made a huge difference in handling. Body roll and cornering improved and I saw an improvement in bump steer. Going over train tracks near my house is night and day.

The only thing I'd like to see from mine is the front springs settling a little, they raised the front of my car an inch even with the arning drop which is good for about 1/2" lowering. I used 70 cougar 'heavy duty' replacements which are 418 lb springs. The 600 lb lowering springs seemed too stout to me.