Limited Slip v. Detroit Locker

Make your Cougar run faster, handle better, and jump higher... okay maybe not jump higher. If you feel the need for speed, this is the place.
farmerpete
Registered Member

Limited Slip v. Detroit Locker

Post by farmerpete » 15 Mar 2017, 17:32

I'm planning to upgrade my rear differential and would like to install a posi system. This is a weekend cruiser for me. I'm not sure whether to go with a limited slip posi, or a locker. Any thoughts or suggestions?
'70 Cougar vert 351W
'83 CJ5
'69 Caddy DeVille vert

Johnnykool6
Registered Member

Re: Limited Slip v. Detroit Locker

Post by Johnnykool6 » 15 Mar 2017, 18:08

Myself... I'd Rather have the locker! Absolute posi! More "hardcore" ! Might take a little getting use to it. Cornering under acceleration will lose traction more easily, due to the way a locker works! Especially wet conditions, but you get use to it! Sometimes they "clunk", which can sound broken, but it's normal, and doesn't happen often. Whenyou put down the power... It WILL be positive traction!! No slip whatsoever! Had one for many years! If you use slicks ever, you won't be sorry! Also, when you losen or tighten lugnuts, you must lift both wheels off the ground to prevent damage, according to the owners manual. Limited slips work good, but cluches wear out, and they slip more. Also they chatter around turns occasionally, and sometimes always! They have additives for that, but it is just super lube to let them slip more easily. Both have there advantages and disadvantages... Like I said earlier...I go locker! Good luck!
It's that time again... :think:

farmerpete
Registered Member

Post by farmerpete » 15 Mar 2017, 18:28

How is the locker around town, parking lot, etc.? Do you get much tire chatter?
'70 Cougar vert 351W
'83 CJ5
'69 Caddy DeVille vert

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 15 Mar 2017, 20:18

I've always had (factory) Traction-Lok differentials in my car and have been happy with them for the most part. They have to be rebuilt every once in a while, but it's typically a pretty easy process. They start to do a "one wheel peel" when the clutches are worn out. I think I've only had one chatter maybe twice (in my '08). You can add more friction modifier, but it ends up just making it not as effective. There are quite a few different types of limited slip differentials out there any more and most work fairly well. One other type you might look at is a Torsen. They use gears and mechanical advantage to get traction to both tires. They don't chatter or clunk like the other types do. They're also not very cheap. My '68 currently has a Traction-Lok in it, but will probably eventually be a Detroit Locker or something similar that puts equal power to both wheels. I don't really care that much about the clunk and am more concerned about straight line performance.

Edit - removed DL references.
Last edited by Steve68Cougar on 16 Mar 2017, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green
08 Mustang Bullitt - Dark Highland Green

guitar74
Registered Member

Post by guitar74 » 16 Mar 2017, 05:31

Had a locker in my'79 Camaro and while it worked great for straight line drag races, it sucked for everything else. So ask yourself,"Do I feel dealing with a lot of ratcheting, noise, and having to be prepared for ABRUPT direction changes with the slightest throttle input?" If you answered yes to those questions, then go with a locker. Yeah you will get used to a locker, but there are SO many better things to go with on the street.
Go with a decent torque biasing differential that offers GRADUAL engagement.

BossElim69
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BossElim69 » 16 Mar 2017, 06:41

You guys are referencing older technology. Install a Eaton Tru Trac unit. No clutches to wear out and a lot nicer on the street then a Detroit Locker which Eaton also makes. I run a Tru trac in my road course prepare Cougar. Only run the Detroit Locker if you want straight line full lock for drag racing or for off road vehicles that need both wheels lock going over uneven terrain.

http://www.eaton.com/RU/Eaton/ProductsS ... /index.htm

Attachments
IMG_1240.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG (110.49 KiB) Viewed 269 times
Brian Carpenter, President CATS classic Cougar club
67 Cougar road course racer
67 Cougar project car
67 Cougar GT
68 XR7-G trailer queen restoration.
68 Restomod
69 Boss 302 Eliminator
69 XR7 390 survivor
69 XR7 428CJ 4spd
70 Boss 302 Mustang
1993 Harley Davidson
2004 F250 diesel
2004 Jeep Overland 4.7L H.O.
78 Ford F 150 Ranger
08 Cobalt SS

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 16 Mar 2017, 07:48

BossElim69 wrote:
16 Mar 2017, 06:41
You guys are referencing older technology. Install a Eaton Tru Trac unit. No clutches to wear out and a lot nicer on the street then a Detroit Locker which Eaton also makes. I run a Tru trac in my road course prepare Cougar. Only run the Detroit Locker if you want straight line full lock for drag racing or for off road vehicles that need both wheels lock going over uneven terrain.

What Brian said. I use one in Isabel and it works flawlessly. No friction modifier required (as with clutch limited slips) either.

Now, where's Royce to expound upon how Detroit Lockers are no problem on the street? :buck:
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 16 Mar 2017, 08:25

I had Traction Lock posis in my cars years ago. They don't hold on a hard launch with a good engine. They wear out in a few thousand miles, then you need to tear them apart and replace the clutches.

I switched to Detroit Lockers 30 years ago. The notion that they are noisy is false and baseless. They last forever. No special oil needed. Love them.
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 16 Mar 2017, 08:26

No, never. I have put 30,000 miles on my green GT-E since it got the Detroit locker.
farmerpete wrote:
15 Mar 2017, 18:28
How is the locker around town, parking lot, etc.? Do you get much tire chatter?
XR7-G Registrar

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce » 16 Mar 2017, 08:27

You've never rode in a car with a Detroit Locker.
Steve68Cougar wrote:
15 Mar 2017, 20:18
The Traction-Lok is smooth and quiet, while the Detroit Locker is noisier and will "clunk" while going around corners. I've always had (factory) Traction-Lok differentials in my car and have been happy with them for the most part. They have to be rebuilt every once in a while, but it's typically a pretty easy process. They start to do a "one wheel peel" when the clutches are worn out. I think I've only had one chatter maybe twice (in my '08). You can add more friction modifier, but it ends up just making it not as effective. The Detroit Locker will just "clunk" once and then it goes around a corner fairly easily. They don't really chatter like a Traction-Lok can. There are quite a few different types of limited slip differentials out there any more and most work fairly well. One other type you might look at is a Torsen. They use gears and mechanical advantage to get traction to both tires. They don't chatter or clunk like the other types do. They're also not very cheap. My '68 currently has a Traction-Lok in it, but will probably eventually be a Detroit Locker or something similar that puts equal power to both wheels. I don't really care that much about the clunk and am more concerned about straight line performance.
XR7-G Registrar