Custom fuel tank?

Make your Cougar run faster, handle better, and jump higher... okay maybe not jump higher. If you feel the need for speed, this is the place.
woodsnake
Registered Member

Custom fuel tank?

Post by woodsnake »

So my friend that is helping with the Cougar's is building his own hot rod Mustang, and mentioned the other day that his gas tank is going to be 2K, of his 4K fuel system cost. I was rather surprised at the number. He says he wants an FI Tech, or similar, but that a custom fuel cell to fit his slightly tubbed trunk space is the bigger issue. There has to be a better option. Where would you shop for a gas tank for a mildly tubbed mustang/ cougar?

CougarCJ
Registered Member

Re: Custom fuel tank?

Post by CougarCJ »

Fuel tank or Fuel cell? there is a difference.

Fuel cell's generally are certified, and have a fairly short life expectancy.

I think that a baffled fuel tank could be easily fabricated.
Scott Behncke 1968 XR7, 302-4V (Autolite 4100D conversion), 5 Speed, 3L50 TL,
Carcheologist - West Coast Classic Cougar

woodsnake
Registered Member

Post by woodsnake »

Good question, I''ll try and find out. But, is that something usually done locally, or is there somebody that specializes in that kind of thing already?

Royce
Registered Member

Post by Royce »

Here:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/par ... =Ascending

woodsnake wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 12:21
So my friend that is helping with the Cougar's is building his own hot rod Mustang, and mentioned the other day that his gas tank is going to be 2K, of his 4K fuel system cost. I was rather surprised at the number. He says he wants an FI Tech, or similar, but that a custom fuel cell to fit his slightly tubbed trunk space is the bigger issue. There has to be a better option. Where would you shop for a gas tank for a mildly tubbed mustang/ cougar?
1968 GT-E XR-7 W code 427 Augusta Green / Saddle
1968 XR-7 R code 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black
1910 Model T Ford Touring Red / Black
1914 Model T Touring Maroon / Black
1915 Model T Ford Touring Black / Black
1917 Model T Ford Torpedo Runabout Green / Black
XR7-G Registrar

woodsnake
Registered Member

Post by woodsnake »

Royce, thanks for the link. I would have thought, that that would be the way to go, but he says he needs this one-
https://www.detroitspeed.com/detroit-sp ... ump-080126

I can kind of see the appeal, but that seems like a lot of cash, still. I will look into a local fabricator option.