Header recommendations for 351-2V

Make your Cougar run faster, handle better, and jump higher... okay maybe not jump higher. If you feel the need for speed, this is the place.
wawazat
Registered Member

Re: Header recommendations for 351-2V

Post by wawazat »

The ceramic coatings are used to extend the life of the steel headers and reduce under hood heat to a varying degree. They are much more durable and longer lasting than paints. There are a number of colors-black, grey, white (Swain), and aluminum which is typically polished. As you note they are expensive when purchased on the headers new but can be applied by local coating companies which may be cheaper but require you to do the leg work. As exhaust systems will rust due to moisture and the temperature swings they experience constantly they are a good choice to extend the life of the headers.
1969 Cougar convertible restomod

allenman85
Registered Member

Post by allenman85 »

I had good luck with the old Blackjack and then Hedman headers for my 351C. Still have the old tubes...They did not hang down. Worked great with 2.5" exhaust.

But as far as what I would do today? My current headers (351W) are from FPA. I did talk to Stan and he was great to work with. I would highly recommend their headers.

But since this thread brought up the Stan (FPA) vs Stan (Stan's headers) I went googling and found this to my surprise as I thought they were the same:

"...Some say Stan's makes them for FPA. To add to the confusion FPA is ran by Stan Johnson & Stan's is ran by Stan Fuller. I forgot to ask them both if one makes headers for the other one. Their specs are identical and prices are close. They both have been very pleasant to talk with and very helpful. Stan at Stan's really likes to talk..."
1970 Cougar. 351C/FMX/AC/PS/PB/Comp Green w/White Top, 3:00 open
Now: 622 HP, 351W w/AFR, solid roller, 418ci, C6, 3.50:1 posi, 3" Magnaflow SS exhaust

robert campbell
Registered Member

Post by robert campbell »

They are two different companies now. At one time they worked together. FPA is solely Ford headers. Stan's Headers builds headers for multiple makes and models.

Rob

Engine207
Registered Member

Post by Engine207 »

robert campbell wrote:
21 May 2020, 10:35
They are two different companies now. At one time they worked together. FPA is solely Ford headers. Stan's Headers builds headers for multiple makes and models.
Spoke with Stan Johnson at FPA, yesterday afternoon. Seemed friendly, knowledgeable straightforward. For my application, its $850 for the pair - uncoated. $275 more for the ceramic both inside and out. That price includes all of the accessories for installation. He said he's about 3-4 weeks out on getting orders shipped. I can't imagine I could get the inside/outside ceramic coated for much less than $275...especially a one-off job.

Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

canted 393
Registered Member

Post by canted 393 »

Hey 207, here is my FPA headers on my 351C 4V 70 eliminator. They are about flush with front subframe rails and the trans pan, they are hooked up to 2.5 inch stainless steel magna flow exhaust system.
Attachments
70 fpa headers.png
70 fpa headers.png (977.26 KiB) Viewed 117 times

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD »

Engine207 wrote:
21 May 2020, 10:54
robert campbell wrote:
21 May 2020, 10:35
Spoke with Stan Johnson at FPA, yesterday afternoon. Seemed friendly, knowledgeable straightforward. For my application, its $850 for the pair - uncoated. $275 more for the ceramic both inside and out. That price includes all of the accessories for installation. He said he's about 3-4 weeks out on getting orders shipped. I can't imagine I could get the inside/outside ceramic coated for much less than $275...especially a one-off job.
Go ceramic for sure, you WILL regret painted headers! the ceramic is worth every single penny! You can probably get them done for a little cheaper locally as there are alot of places in phx that do ceramic coats but its not worth the savings for the legwork in my opinion.

If you go FPA keep us posted on your results. Ive been dreading headers with a manual and always hear mixed results with all the normal manufactures. FPA always keeps coming around as the best fit possible and everyone always speaks highly of them.
1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.
Work in progress...

robert campbell
Registered Member

Post by robert campbell »

Here is another shot of FPA headers on my 67 Mustang. These are one off custom headers for the my Mustang with the Ford Performance 460 cubic inch stroker small block with raised port heads. Stan Johnson of FPA can make these also. Check out that ground clearance and the 3 inch ball socket flange. Now, my car has a hydraulic clutch and Ron Morris adjustable motor mounts. Always check the notes on the FPA site for applications on your car. It will save you and FPA some heart ache. These headers also clear my Borgeson Power Steering conversion.

Rob

Engine207
Registered Member

Post by Engine207 »

DieselD wrote:
22 May 2020, 08:03
Go ceramic for sure, you WILL regret painted headers! the ceramic is worth every single penny! You can probably get them done for a little cheaper locally as there are alot of places in phx that do ceramic coats but its not worth the savings for the legwork in my opinion.

If you go FPA keep us posted on your results. Ive been dreading headers with a manual and always hear mixed results with all the normal manufactures. FPA always keeps coming around as the best fit possible and everyone always speaks highly of them.
I’m not questioning whether to do ceramic anymore...just whether to have it done factory or aftermarket. I don't mind running them around, I just question if a local vendor can do as good a job of them - inside and out. Plus, working with two vendors can make responsibility for defects harder to deal with. And I’m not convinced it’d be cheaper enough, anyway.
robert campbell wrote:
22 May 2020, 11:19
Check out that ground clearance and the 3 inch ball socket flange.
Man, that’s sweet. I’m getting pretty impressed with these FPAs. They are certainly spendy, but in three months, will it really have made that much difference in the big picture? Worst case scenario, I work half a shift of OT. See how easy that was. :pimp:

Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD »

Engine207 wrote:
22 May 2020, 11:52

I’m not questioning whether to do ceramic anymore...just whether to have it done factory or aftermarket. I don't mind running them around, I just question if a local vendor can do as good a job of them - inside and out. Plus, working with two vendors can make responsibility for defects harder to deal with. And I’m not convinced it’d be cheaper enough, anyway.
IMO I would let them do it unless you have a shop in mind locally. The price difference wouldnt be worth the price difference and like you said if the odd event something was wrong it’s all one place. My experience with local powder coat/ceramic places are hot and miss.
Gotta stay on them about your job and bug them enough they don’t forget about ya.
1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.
Work in progress...

9F91H581221
Registered Member

Post by 9F91H581221 »

25 years ago I put on Blackjack. 10 years ago I put the cast manifolds back on. If I wanted headers today it would be FPA.