mini tach

Make your Cougar run faster, handle better, and jump higher... okay maybe not jump higher. If you feel the need for speed, this is the place.
1967 S Code
Registered Member

Re: mini tach

Post by 1967 S Code »

David I’m sure you can find a mini-tach that will work in the clock space of the standard dash. I’d bet if you Google you’ll find many choices to fit your budget. I briefly thought about the Mustang rally pack but it didn’t address the clock/dummy section on my standard dash. You’ll have to pick the route that works best for you. I ultimately decided on Rocketmans tach for a couple of reasons. 1. He’s a member of The Classic Cougar Community 2. He offers a quality product and 3. His products are more than just “using guts/electronics” of another tach. They are made to fit and match like a factory gauge. Here is a picture of my mini-tach before I installed it.

Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance, XR7S Taillight Bars

RonR234

Post by RonR234 »

Im late to the game but I used the amazon tach, it looks ok to me, cost about $25, i didnt use the hot glue, i inserted from the front and used the supplied nut ring on the back. fit pretty good, snug. i have yet to install the gauge package in the car so i cant say how well it works driving around, yet.
Attachments
my tach.jpg
my tach.jpg (78.26 KiB) Viewed 112 times

Gyrhead
Registered Member

Post by Gyrhead »

1971 Cougar XR-7 Convertible 351C 4V, 4 speed
1970 Torino Cobra J-Code 429CJ Shaker 4 Speed 572 Stroker (1 of 22 black/red)
2016 Mustang GT350 Chassis #2710
1988 Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
2002 Porsche 911 3.6 Carrera
2017 Honda Civic Si
2017 VW Jetta GLI
2013 VW GTI (Unitronic Stage 1+ tune 260 HP / 295 ft/lbs - 4th fastest car in the fleet)

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 »

For clarity, Rocketman doesn’t start out with a cheap eBay tach. Bob used to work for a US based manufacturer of instrument movements. While there he developed his own tach. After he left the company he continued to buy from them until the company eventually ended production. He then spent considerable time and money finding a new source that could build what he needed. I know this first hand as I tried but failed in helping him find a good contract manufacturer. He has since found a new source and at the same time updated to current technology. What you don’t know is how difficult it is to make these work accurately. There are all kinds of different ignition systems in use on our cars and some present major challenges.

So if you cut up your dash to fit a universal tach and it doesn’t work you own it. The wonderful thing about this hobby is that we all have lots of choices and what you do with your car is up to you. One choice you have is to support the people that Have devoted resources to give us great solutions.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 »

I am not trying to beat up the guys using off the shelf tachs . I am trying to clarify that Rocketman product is not the same thing. He emphatically does not start off with off the shelf tachs and stick a label on them.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code »

Bill well said in both of your posts. Everyone has to do what works best for them. I’m very pleased with the mini-tach I got from Rocketman. The fit, finish, packaging, and quality are wonderful. As stated earlier In this thread I went with the Mustang mini-tach because the Cougar unit was temporarily out of stock. I like the flat face and the fact that the dial states RPM x 100 and the font matches the Cougars gauges.

Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance, XR7S Taillight Bars

67427GT500
Registered Member

Post by 67427GT500 »

Bob, AKA Rocketman makes a great product. While they work great for a Cougar they don't for a Mustang. The clock is in a different position and the steering wheel winds up obscuring part of the tach. I am fortunate that my Shelby has a full size 8000 rpm tach.
I just purchased Bob's headlamp relay/breaker kit for my Shelby because of headlamp brightness fluctuation when I have the center high beams on.
-Keith
'Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you will always long to return'
'The American dream is alive for those unversed in the ideology of victimhood. - Thomas Sowell

pellets4fuel
Registered Member

Post by pellets4fuel »

xr7g428 wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 10:19
For clarity, Rocketman doesn’t start out with a cheap eBay tach. Bob used to work for a US based manufacturer of instrument movements. While there he developed his own tach. After he left the company he continued to buy from them until the company eventually ended production. He then spent considerable time and money finding a new source that could build what he needed. I know this first hand as I tried but failed in helping him find a good contract manufacturer. He has since found a new source and at the same time updated to current technology. What you don’t know is how difficult it is to make these work accurately. There are all kinds of different ignition systems in use on our cars and some present major challenges.

So if you cut up your dash to fit a universal tach and it doesn’t work you own it. The wonderful thing about this hobby is that we all have lots of choices and what you do with your car is up to you. One choice you have is to support the people that Have devoted resources to give us great solutions.
Bill,
Thanks for clarifying for everyone out there (like me) that may have thought that Bob was just 're-canistering' some brand of mini-tach.
I personally apologize for my own ignorance to that fact. :wall:
I think Rocketman has some great products, and has obviously came up with a great many solutions for shortcomings and repairs on our old cars.
I'm sure at some point I'll use some his modern day tech in my car or any upcoming project.
David Siedschlag
#16306 1967 Lime Frost S-code, Ivy gold interior built 11-1-66
3.25 Limited slip, 4-speed. Courtesy lights, sports console, whisper-aire, AM-8track, deluxe belts.
1989 Toyota truck, woodgas powered
22re 4x4