Edelbrock AVS2

Make your Cougar run faster, handle better, and jump higher... okay maybe not jump higher. If you feel the need for speed, this is the place.
Ju5T
Registered Member

Edelbrock AVS2

Post by Ju5T »

Has anyone tried these carbs out? https://www.edelbrock.com/avs2-carburetors

They sound pretty sweet! My carb is pretty old now and I don't trust myself rebuilding one. Also, the previous owner had a 650cfm 1806 on a performer intake w/stock rebuilt 289 block/heads. So I was thinking about getting a 500 cfm AVS2.

any thoughts?
ImageCurrently restoring my 1968 Cougar base model, C code 289, 3spd automatic, non a/c car. Non stock parts include: 500 cfm edelbrock AVS2 carb, performer series intake manifold, edelbrock cotton air cleaner assembly and valve covers, X pipe 40 series Flowmasters, and a 3 core champion radiator with a 180 thermostat.

R.B.Phillips
Registered Member

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by R.B.Phillips »

I love the 500 CFM part, not the Edelbrock part. They try, but Edelbrock carb stuff is not my cup of beverage. Re-vitalized Carter design; I like Autolite or Holley for our Fords.

Ju5T
Registered Member

Post by Ju5T »

Alright I was thinking about grabbing a 4100 autolite, but looking for a more plug and play rather than rebuild option. Although I have heard the autolites are pretty simple to rebuild. Do they make solid reproduction autolites? Or would it be good to find an old one rebuilt.

Also what do you not like about edelbrock? from what I hear they are tricky to get tuned but are pretty reliable. My brother is not a fan of Holley claiming they are unreliable. Which is why I was thinking a replacement edelbrock.
ImageCurrently restoring my 1968 Cougar base model, C code 289, 3spd automatic, non a/c car. Non stock parts include: 500 cfm edelbrock AVS2 carb, performer series intake manifold, edelbrock cotton air cleaner assembly and valve covers, X pipe 40 series Flowmasters, and a 3 core champion radiator with a 180 thermostat.

Registered Member

Post by ******** »

The old 1850 600 vacuum secondary is most common carb out there used on SB fords.Very forgiving and all around great carb. It's much easier to tune than the old Carter design. Tuning parts are available just about anywhere as well for Holley. Ford liked them so well my car had two of them right off the assembly line!
-Keith

itrack
Registered Member

Post by itrack »

I've heard nothing but good things about the Edelbrock 1403. With your engine I wouldn't put anything on there over a 500cfm. The lower cfm carbs will gain you low end torque and gas mileage over say a 600cfm carb. You might loose 6-7hp on the top end, but who cares.

Smilodon
Registered Member

Post by Smilodon »

Summit M-series carbs absolutely wreck the AVS2 in every department. For a stock motor, the 500 cfm version is fine, but with even mild mods, I'd probably go 600CFM, because you'd get a little less pressure drop and a little more top end out of it at WOT. The annular boosters ensure excellent fuel vaporization, which means a really clean burn, smooth idle, part-throttle,and throttle response that's every bit as good as your average fuel injection setup. The M2's are also inexpensive, at about $300. They're a descendant of the old 4100 Autolite, but they use common Holley jets and parts. They are incredibly friendly to tune, as well.

All in all, these carbs are flat-out superior to anything else you'd find for under about $600.
I love Mustangs. They have a ton of great parts for my Cougar! :lol:

whitelightning777
Registered Member

Post by whitelightning777 »

My old Edelbrock carb on my last cougar was the one reliable part on the car. The only thing you might have to do is to put the accelerator pump shaft for a longer stroke.

If you really want to be a total snob, you can get the spring kit that goes with the needle valves to really dial it in for fuel economy. (Totally unnecessary 99% of the time)

The Holley carb I have now barely even runs with it cold and has that part throttle hesitation that is practically unfixable by mere mortals. It has vacuum secondaries and is no doubt far to large for the engine. It has one of those non-electric auto chokes that basically never actually opens up.

Also, I would strongly suggest a manual choke, never had any luck with any auto choke ever. Yes, it got home from Iowa coyote classics to Texas to see a lady friend and then go Baltimore without incident, but despite the engine being totally rebuilt, I was always annoyed.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 »

Which Holley do you have?
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

whitelightning777
Registered Member

Post by whitelightning777 »

List-9834-0847, doesn't say anywhere what the cfm is.

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 »

That one is 60o CFM. Vacuum secondary, electric choke.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry