Increasing HP

Make your Cougar run faster, handle better, and jump higher... okay maybe not jump higher. If you feel the need for speed, this is the place.
yearby
Registered Member

Re: Increasing HP

Post by yearby » 20 Apr 2019, 10:52

Just a cautionary note here, the standard 289/302 Windsor's have very weak con rod bolts, they tend to stretch under high revs, and these engines do love to rev.
I suggest that a cheap alternative to aftermarket rods is to replace the 5/16 rod bolts with the Chevy 3/8 rod bolts. Then have the rod big ends resized, have the rods crack tested, checked for straightness and magnifluxed. Having the rod resized will prevent the bearing spinning in it's bore, safe insurance.
With this done I would push to 6500 rpm with out any problems, but have heard of standard bottom end engines doing in big end bearings at 6000 rpm.
May be worth while to do on a stock rebuild to be on the safe side as well.

If anyone here was going the stroker route, use stronger aftermarket rods.

:)

yearby
Registered Member

Post by yearby » 20 Apr 2019, 10:54

CMCE wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 05:54
If everyone doesn't already know, Pypes has stepped up to the plate and developed a 2.5" X-Pipe exhaust system specifically for the '67-'70 Cougar.
Check it out- https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/c/q ... ugar/pypes
Would like to know what cabin noise is like with these? Anyone?

canted 393
Registered Member

Post by canted 393 » 20 Apr 2019, 11:13

Yearby I have this kit on my 73 stang with a 525 hp 393C and my answer is no its loud out back but not inside. But I did go with the violator muffler option which is a strait thru design. Its nice kit and living in the Midwest where everything rusts to the ground because humidity or anything that had been driven in the winter the stainless is nice.
Last edited by canted 393 on 20 Apr 2019, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

yearby
Registered Member

Post by yearby » 20 Apr 2019, 11:27

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 20 Apr 2019, 19:13

yearby wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 10:52
Just a cautionary note here, the standard 289/302 Windsor's have very weak con rod bolts, they tend to stretch under high revs, and these engines do love to rev.
I suggest that a cheap alternative to aftermarket rods is to replace the 5/16 rod bolts with the Chevy 3/8 rod bolts. Then have the rod big ends resized, have the rods crack tested, checked for straightness and magnifluxed. Having the rod resized will prevent the bearing spinning in it's bore, safe insurance.
With this done I would push to 6500 rpm with out any problems, but have heard of standard bottom end engines doing in big end bearings at 6000 rpm.
May be worth while to do on a stock rebuild to be on the safe side as well.

If anyone here was going the stroker route, use stronger aftermarket rods.

:)
Good point on the rods. I went the "easy" route and just replaced the stock 5/16 bolts with ARP rod bolts. It's seen 6000 rpm quite a bit and (so far) has not been an issue. I wouldn't want to push it to 6500-7000 without doing something more extreme like you're suggesting. That's another part of why I didn't go with any more cam than what I did.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green
08 Mustang Bullitt - Dark Highland Green

CMCE
Registered Member

Post by CMCE » 12 May 2019, 17:59

yearby wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 10:54
CMCE wrote:
If everyone doesn't already know, Pypes has stepped up to the plate and developed a 2.5" X-Pipe exhaust system specifically for the '67-'70 Cougar.
I can tell you from experience that the Race Pro mufflers are pretty quiet at idle and cruise, but being a straight through muffler they'll bark at full throttle. They flow extremely well but the actual sound that comes out will always depend on cam, compression etc. Classic Muscle Car Exhaust has sound clips with most of their systems. https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/

bsbeck
Registered Member

Post by bsbeck » 15 May 2019, 11:11

canted 393, I'd like to hear details on your engine build please. PM me please.
Scott B.

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Blue / Black Comfortweave / 351 Cleveland / Automatic)

canted 393
Registered Member

Post by canted 393 » 16 May 2019, 05:29

Scott will do as time permits. Thanks Dan

CMCE
Registered Member

Post by CMCE » 21 Jun 2019, 04:58

yearby wrote:
20 Apr 2019, 10:54
CMCE wrote:
As owner of Classic Muscle Car Exhaust, I can tell you from experience that the quietest muffler Pypes offers is the Race Pro. It's a straight through design and is their highest flowing muffler. The Street Pro is a bit louder but is better suited to milder engines because of it's higher backpressure. The Violator mufflers are self explanatory. They flow, and they are loud.
The beauty of Pypes is that you can buy their systems without mufflers and use whatever you want. That's why I've offered two other mufflers from Dynomax that you can use with this system. The Ultraflows are what all of the F.A.S.T. racers use- you simply can't find a higher flowing stock looking muffler than the Ultraflow. Their not obnoxiously loud, but they're not quiet either.
Then there is the Dynomax Super Turbo, one of the best muffler designs ever in my opinion. Quiet at idle and cruise with no drone, but that great musclecar sound when you get on it. The best of both worlds.
I've tried to supply as many sound clip videos as possible on my website, but since the Cougar system is so new, you'll have to make due with Mustang sound clips for now. I'm just glad Pypes came out with a Cougar system, It's about time someone did. I also know they're working on a Fairlane and Comet system.
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/c/q ... ugar/pypes

R Code
Registered Member

Post by R Code » 21 Jun 2019, 10:35

CMCE wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 04:58
...Dynomax Super Turbo, one of the best muffler designs ever in my opinion. Quiet at idle and cruise with no drone, but that great musclecar sound when you get on it. The best of both worlds...
https://classicmusclecarexhaust.com/c/q ... ugar/pypes
I had these on the R Code & agree totally. BUT, it is a bit louder than stock @ idle.
- Chris

1967 Std 4 speed conversion
1989 Merkur XR4Ti