GONE - 3/4" Stam-bar rear sway bar (bonus 1" front sway bar)

IF there was ever any doubt that this is a real community, get this: Don Rush of West Coast Classic Cougars asked for a forum where he could GIVE stuff away: FREE! And you know, there is a lot of stuff floating around that I think we would all like to see go to a good home rather than to the land fill. I know that my garage contains a few items that I would like to find a new home. So post your FREE stuff here!
PacificaXR7GT
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

GONE - 3/4" Stam-bar rear sway bar (bonus 1" front sway bar)

Post by PacificaXR7GT »

Just removed these from my '68 GT.

The rear sway bar fit well and has been identified by others more knowledgeable than me as an older model Stam-bar. The end links have zerks for greasing. Includes all parts. A newer version of this is $195 at Cobra Automotive. http://store.cobraautomotive.com/stam-b ... -diameter/

The 1" front sway bar is also a take-off from my GT. Be aware, it interferes with the stock oil filter and I hated it. Probably would work fine on a small block car.

I am going back to the stock GT sway bar in front and nothing in back. I would be happy to send these on to anybody who wants either or both if you would pay the shipping costs.
IMG_9039.jpg
IMG_9039.jpg (313.52 KiB) Viewed 289 times
IMG_9038.jpg
IMG_9038.jpg (353.7 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Last edited by PacificaXR7GT on 25 Jun 2020, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
CCOA #9998
1968 XR7 GT 4 speed - Augusta Green / Dark Ivy Gold

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 3/4" Stam-bar rear sway bar (bonus 1" front sway bar)

Post by xr7g428 »

I hope you drive this with the stock bar before you sell that. It is one of the best driveability mods you can make.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

PacificaXR7GT
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by PacificaXR7GT »

xr7g428 wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 19:16
I hope you drive this with the stock bar before you sell that. It is one of the best driveability mods you can make.
To be clear, I'm giving it away, not selling it. I have been given a lot of free advice and parts by other members of this forum and if somebody wants this they can have it for the shipping cost.

I'm sure you are correct about driveability. I'm just tired of all the "performance" mods that were done on my Cougar, including a hack-job rolling of the wheel lips that I dread having to undo when I eventually get to paint and body work.

I guess I figure the car was probably fine from the factory and since I'm not taking it to track days or driving like a maniac (much) it is probably fine to go back to that.
Steve
CCOA #9998

xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by xr7g428 »

This maybe one of those moments where you ask how did they drive these cars like that? If nothing else you will want very good sway bar bushings. Back in the day people thought a car that really leaned over was gripping the road.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

69XR7Ragtop
Registered Member

Post by 69XR7Ragtop »

PacificaXR7GT wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 19:27
xr7g428 wrote:
To be clear, I'm giving it away, not selling it. I have been given a lot of free advice and parts by other members of this forum and if somebody wants this they can have it for the shipping cost.

I'm sure you are correct about driveability. I'm just tired of all the "performance" mods that were done on my Cougar, including a hack-job rolling of the wheel lips that I dread having to undo when I eventually get to paint and body work.

I guess I figure the car was probably fine from the factory and since I'm not taking it to track days or driving like a maniac (much) it is probably fine to go back to that.
Heck, if that rear stam style bar will fit my ‘69 I’ll take it!

Previous: 69 XR7 Hardtop, 351W, FMX
Current: 69 XR7 Convertible, Tweaked 351W, TL 4 Speed (Almost completed restoration--drive all the time, but you are never really done!)
Current: 70 XR7 Convertible, 351C, TL 4 Speed Grabber blue (Yet to be restored--waiting patiently)

PacificaXR7GT
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by PacificaXR7GT »

69XR7Ragtop wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 20:38
PacificaXR7GT wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 19:27
xr7g428 wrote:

Heck, if that rear stam style bar will fit my ‘69 I’ll take it!
Send me a PM with your shipping info. I’ll let you know how much the shipping is after it’s on the way.
Steve
CCOA #9998

69XR7Ragtop
Registered Member

Post by 69XR7Ragtop »

Very cool, PM on the way.

Edit.. I sent the PM, but it does not show in my outbox or sent items. I’ll re-send if it doesn’t get to you by later today.

Previous: 69 XR7 Hardtop, 351W, FMX
Current: 69 XR7 Convertible, Tweaked 351W, TL 4 Speed (Almost completed restoration--drive all the time, but you are never really done!)
Current: 70 XR7 Convertible, 351C, TL 4 Speed Grabber blue (Yet to be restored--waiting patiently)