Purpose of floor pan drain plates

On what day in 1966 did the secret Cougar marketing program begin? April 1st, April Fools day. On what day in 1968 did the Cobra Jet 428 become available in the Cougar April 1st April Fools day. Is there a message in there somewhere? This is the place to find out.
Yorgle
Registered Member

Purpose of floor pan drain plates

Post by Yorgle » 18 Apr 2013, 13:28

I'm confused. Those oval shaped covers that attach to the front and rear floor pans with two screws are called by most vendors "drain plates" or "drain covers" but considering that they are covered with sealant and screwed down to the floor, how do they drain anything? What are they really there for?
1968 XR-7 Augusta Green, J-Code, 5 litre, Autolite 6100, 5 spd, convertible with heated seats, cruise control and rear sway bar.

BTW, I think electronic ignition is pointless.

70 Cougar
Registered Member

Re: Purpose of floor pan drain plates

Post by 70 Cougar » 18 Apr 2013, 16:43

I remember reading something somewhere that stated the floor drain holes were put there by the designers to allow the priming solution to drain out of the body when the shell of the body was dipped and submerged in the primer solution. I'm pretty sure these cars weren't dipped in primer but were sprayed with primer instead at the factory, therefore the floor drain holes might have been carried over from previous methods in the past.
- Steve O

1970 Mercury Cougar
2004 SVT Cobra

Don Rush
Registered Member

Post by Don Rush » 18 Apr 2013, 16:49

To drain after the rust proof dunk.

G68
Registered Member

Post by G68 » 18 Apr 2013, 17:52

Don Rush wrote:To drain after the rust proof dunk.
LOL!! Judging from some of the floor pans I've seen over the years that "rust proof dunk" wasn't very successful! They must have drained too much of said rust proofer out of them!
"I feel more like I do now than I did yesterday"

1968 Cougar 289 4V
2018 F-150 XLT Sport 5.0L Coyote
2004 F-150 Lariat 4x4 5.4 L
2017 Mustang (Sally) 2.3L 310 HP EcoBoost

Mike_B_SVT
Registered Member

Post by Mike_B_SVT » 18 Apr 2013, 17:55

Yorgle wrote:I'm confused. Those oval shaped covers that attach to the front and rear floor pans with two screws are called by most vendors "drain plates" or "drain covers" but considering that they are covered with sealant and screwed down to the floor, how do they drain anything? What are they really there for?
I wondered the same thing for the longest time! I was like "drain plug"?? Why would you want to plug up the drain? No wonder they rusted out with all the drains plugged up!

Only fairly recently did I read about the whole "dunking" process of priming / treating the bare bodies by the factory. Same with all the wierd ribbing / grooves on the floor pans and other panels - their purpose is to channel the dunking fluids to the drain holes. IIRC, I read about it in a recent issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines - they mentioned it in an article about replicating the factory paint process for acurracy in the paint details on an Olds 442 convertible (IIRC). When I read that it was a very "Ah HA!" moment for me :-)
Mike B.
CCOA # 9553

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior)
1 of 70 with 428SCJ, Ram Air, 4-speed.
Cat Bites Man!

Looking for an Eliminator? Then be sure to check out the "Eliminators on the Market" thread in the Classic Cougars For Sale section of the forum!

ccarney69
Registered Member

Post by ccarney69 » 18 Apr 2013, 21:49

Ok, since we're talking drain plugs, when did they start putting date codes on them? I'm taking apart an A17 built 69 and the plugs have a date of 12 5 on them. So I went to look at the dates on the plugs on the H26 built 69 and no dates. Just curious, would assume about Jan when new mandates were implemented.
1968 GT-E 427 Standard Nordic Blue/Black Décor, driver
1969 XR7 R Code 4 Speed Yellow/Black Top Black Interior, current project no.1
1969 XR7 Q Code C6 Green/Black Top Dark Ivy Green Interior, current project no. 2
CCOA #8275
MACC

1969XR7Vert
Registered Member

Post by 1969XR7Vert » 19 Apr 2013, 06:44

Yorgle wrote:I'm confused. Those oval shaped covers that attach to the front and rear floor pans with two screws are called by most vendors "drain plates" or "drain covers" but considering that they are covered with sealant and screwed down to the floor, how do they drain anything? What are they really there for?
Oh, that's easy. You remove them when you want to let the salt water out of the floorpan after Hurricane Isabel put your car under water.

Wait.

That was just my car.

Nevermind.
Isabel, the realization of a seven year long dream:

Canted--Texan on the351cforum: "One of my most impressive attributes is that.......a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"

J_Speegle
Registered Member

Post by J_Speegle » 19 Apr 2013, 21:11

Plugs were an engineering left over IMHO from the typical Ford design of the floor panels (for those cars - more expensive models- that were dipped)

Cougars uni bodies were not dipped like T Birds or Lincolns) just a spray top and bottom (bottom from jets mounted below track) with plenty of areas missed. :(