My 1967 Cougar XR7

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
Bryan Owsley
Registered Member

My 1967 Cougar XR7

Post by Bryan Owsley » 27 Feb 2018, 20:43

I've been working on restoring my first car, a 1967 XR7. I bought this car in 1994 with the money I earned from my summer job. Over the years I've done some good things to it, and a few things I wish I hadn't. I converted it to a manual transmission, a top-loader 4-speed. I recently put some steeper gears in the rear end and it's been living in the body shop for about a year getting all the rusty holes patched and crooked metal straightened. This car was my first real love and hopefully I can put her back together in the way she always looked in my head.

Last edited by Bryan Owsley on 28 Feb 2018, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.

Bryan Owsley
Registered Member

Re: My 1967 Cougar XR7

Post by Bryan Owsley » 27 Feb 2018, 21:25

Here's another pic of the front. The lower cowl has been replaced, new floors, the trunk filler panel and the driver's side quarter panel have also been replaced. I thought I had a solid car until it came apart. I regret leaving it parked under that tree for 10 years.

Bryan Owsley
Registered Member

Post by Bryan Owsley » 28 Feb 2018, 07:04

While my car has been in the shop I've been putting together some parts to install when she's out:

These are some original hinges from a '68 that have been reworked with Zerk fittings added.

This is a power disk brake conversion kit for the front. The car originally had manual drum brakes all around. Since I put the 4-speed in I'd have to push on the brake pedal with both feet to keep from rolling backwards when stopped on a steep hill. Not very comfortable.

I'm going to replace the vacuum headlight system with these electric ones. For most of the time I've owned my car my headlights have been of the manual variety with me having to get out of the car and pull open the headlight covers by hand when it was getting dark. It's ok when you're a teenager but its kinda embarrassing now.

Misc. parts. A new valance, an export brace, an old tunnel ram and some interior pieces. What else would you store in a garage?

Bryan Owsley
Registered Member

Post by Bryan Owsley » 02 Mar 2018, 18:46

The good news is...I found a hood with only surface rust. The bad news is...it looks like someone was dancing on the hood.The price was right so I'll take it to the shop and see what the body man says.

The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

fordnutz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by fordnutz » 02 Mar 2018, 21:04

Good luck with your project. I'm sure you can't wait to have it all back together and take it for a drive.
Thanks, Scott Ferguson
President, Fordnutz Cougar Club
E-mail President@Fordnutz.org
Visit the Fordnutz Cougar Club on the web http://www.fordnutz.org
Past Chairman, Cascade Cougar Club
http://www.CascadeCougarClub.com
Past Chairman, Cougar Club of America
http://www.cougarclub.org

Bryan Owsley
Registered Member

Post by Bryan Owsley » 03 Mar 2018, 09:41

Thanks! Progress is slow but steady. It should be a fun car when its all done.