My very s-l-o-w 68 build

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
jon_tue
Registered Member

My very s-l-o-w 68 build

Post by jon_tue » 23 Oct 2017, 00:32

Hello everyone.I have been lurking on the site trying to gain as much insight and information as possible and decided to make my own post.With that said I would just like to welcome you all to my slow 1968 cougar build . Slow because I want to make sure I do things right the first time and do it right. I have always wanted to have a cougar every since I was a kid so I am super excited to have this car to build. In the end, I just want to have a nice cruiser that handles well, looks good and runs good. The car itself I picked up in April 2017 and is a 1968 base with the 302 motor and a bench seat. New owner painted the car white, but it was originally sea foam green, has a vinyl top and the thing most of us hate the most RUST. The car has rust, but the floor pans and trunk are still good and there are actually no leaks. Right now I am saving up to get the rust attended to. In the mean time I am driving the car little by little just to keep it going, cleaning it up some, trying to get the sequential turn signal to work and to fix the brackets on the windows. Overall,I have a lot to do, thats why I say it will be slow. To date I have had the original motor rebuilt as the motor was no good when I first got the car. I did this first because I didn't want to have to tow the car every time I wanted to get work done or quotes for the body work. In a perfect world, I would be able to see the body work being done and actually help in some ways during the process. I want it done right, but would also like to learn. Please feel free to chime in good, bad , what ever. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Jon
Attachments
cougar1.jpeg
The rust :(
cougar1.jpeg (136.02 KiB) Viewed 494 times
cougar4.jpeg
Interior pic
cougar4.jpeg (173.38 KiB) Viewed 494 times
cougar2.jpeg
First quick wash
cougar2.jpeg (210.3 KiB) Viewed 494 times
cougar3.jpeg
When I towed the car to my dads garage
cougar3.jpeg (173.38 KiB) Viewed 494 times

DieselD
Registered Member

Re: My very s-l-o-w 68 build

Post by DieselD » 23 Oct 2017, 10:47

Looks like a good project and you will have your work cut out for you thats for sure! Minus the rust it looks like a pretty solid car. Interior is in good shape too!
1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 23 Oct 2017, 11:07

Dang, that roof looks even worse than mine was... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDyBd9Wx1vk

Best of luck on your project! The bench seat is cool. I would guess that your vinyl top is not original, since the trim around the bottom isn't correct. So I wouldn't feel too bad about ditching it if I were you, once the rust repairs are done.
-Andrew Chenovick
Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR, INC.
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1986 Volvo 240: dependable beater / "Goldilocks"
-1979 Volvo 245: magnificently ugly brown wagon

jon_tue
Registered Member

Post by jon_tue » 23 Oct 2017, 23:56

DieselD wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 10:47
Looks like a good project and you will have your work cut out for you thats for sure! Minus the rust it looks like a pretty solid car. Interior is in good shape too!
Yeah, surely a long road ahead of me, but overall the car is actually pretty solid. Im hoping to have the rust fixed by the end of the year.

jon_tue
Registered Member

Post by jon_tue » 24 Oct 2017, 00:33

Blitz wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 11:07
Dang, that roof looks even worse than mine was... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDyBd9Wx1vk

Best of luck on your project! The bench seat is cool. I would guess that your vinyl top is not original, since the trim around the bottom isn't correct. So I wouldn't feel too bad about ditching it if I were you, once the rust repairs are done.
I haven't peeled off the vinyl yet, I hope I'm saying it right, but in this case the C-pillars are bad and just one part of the top. The rest of the top feels solid.Im waiting to see if I can find a donor car close, but if not maybe road trip time up to west coast cougars. Ive watched that video about 10x. I wish I had the confidence to do something like that,yours came out great. I do like the vinyl top but kind of torn on if I want to ditch it or not.

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD » 24 Oct 2017, 08:46

jon_tue wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 23:56
DieselD wrote:
23 Oct 2017, 10:47
Yeah, surely a long road ahead of me, but overall the car is actually pretty solid. Im hoping to have the rust fixed by the end of the year.
One step at a time is all you can do. The plus side is you have it running which makes it much easier to move around. That has helped me alot with my project. Just being able to drive it on and off a trailer or in and out of the garage without having to push it makes life alot easier!

Im jealous of the interior not being all rotted but not jealous of the rust!
1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.

Blitz
Registered Member

Post by Blitz » 24 Oct 2017, 11:16

jon_tue wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 00:33
I haven't peeled off the vinyl yet, I hope I'm saying it right, but in this case the C-pillars are bad and just one part of the top. The rest of the top feels solid.Im waiting to see if I can find a donor car close, but if not maybe road trip time up to west coast cougars. Ive watched that video about 10x. I wish I had the confidence to do something like that,yours came out great. I do like the vinyl top but kind of torn on if I want to ditch it or not.
Thanks! It was kinda scary, I probably wouldn't have attempted it if I hadn't been surrounded by help & knowledge the whole time. The only bad part is, here I am 6 years later and still not done with the car :wall: but that's another story...
-Andrew Chenovick
Photo/Video guy for WEST COAST CLASSIC COUGAR, INC.
Side Gig: FLYING A PHOTOGRAPHY

RIDES:
-1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC / "Snowball" view project thread
-1973 Opel Manta: 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
-1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
-1986 Volvo 240: dependable beater / "Goldilocks"
-1979 Volvo 245: magnificently ugly brown wagon

fordnutz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by fordnutz » 24 Oct 2017, 23:44

Blitz wrote:
24 Oct 2017, 11:16
Thanks! It was kinda scary, I probably wouldn't have attempted it if I hadn't been surrounded by help & knowledge the whole time. The only bad part is, here I am 6 years later and still not done with the car :wall: but that's another story...
Yeah, it's hard to finish those car projects when your vacation takes you all over Europe (lol).
What I have seen so far is looking pretty darn nice Andrew. Keep at it and it will be finished before you are my present age (at least I hope so).
Thanks, Scott Ferguson
President, Fordnutz Cougar Club
E-mail President@Fordnutz.org
Visit the Fordnutz Cougar Club on the web http://www.fordnutz.org
Past Chairman, Cascade Cougar Club
http://www.CascadeCougarClub.com
Past Chairman, Cougar Club of America
http://www.cougarclub.org

BigNuge
Registered Member

Post by BigNuge » 29 Oct 2017, 12:15

I’ve start there! It’s the exact opposite of mine. Mine has a great exterior, bad floors/motor/interior.

Thanks for posting, I’ll be following along!
68 XR7

jon_tue
Registered Member

Post by jon_tue » 30 Oct 2017, 00:54

BigNuge wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 12:15
I’ve start there! It’s the exact opposite of mine. Mine has a great exterior, bad floors/motor/interior.

Thanks for posting, I’ll be following along!
Thanks Big Nuge,before going to bed last night your thread was the last one I read.Very cool and meaningful project you have there. I wish this one was a xr-7, but I'm happy with it. My dad had a cougar when I was young and I fell in love with it. On this one, the interior is not bad but I will have it re-done, when I got the motor rebuilt the guy said the floor pans, frame and trunk were in good condition so the big pain is this rust. I am going to get a rough estimate on the body work this week so ill have an idea on what to do next. Best wishes on the project.