68 XR7-Dads Cougah

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
BigNuge
Registered Member

Re: 68 XR7-Dads Cougah

Post by BigNuge » 29 Oct 2017, 08:02

BossElim69 wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 05:46
If you have the tools and the experience go for it! We all like reading posts on Cougars like this that get brought back to life. How does the rest of the Cougar look? Rear quarters, trunk area. Check the cowl for rust. Cowl isn't hard to fix, but very time consuming. Keep in mind that going this deep into saving the Cougar your going to have more time & money than you will be able to sell it for in the end. As long as you know that going into it the project and your keeping it as it's Dad's Cougar. Then you will be Ok. We can point you toward a few good posts of other Cougar owners that have gone this far to save a Cougar.
The trunk floor/area look good. Quarters are good, I remember my father having them done in the late 80’s before it was painted. Rear frame rails have surface rust but are solid.

The upper cowl looks good. Lower cowl has surface rust, but solid. The only “cab” area that I feel like I need to do some work on (other than the floor pan) is the bottom of the firewall. I’m not sure how far up the firewall the new floor pan will reach, but I need it to be at least 4”. If it doesn’t, I’ll have to either get a patch, or make a patch.

As for experience....nope. I’m diving into this and learning as I go. I know how important dimensions are, and I’ll be doing things as carefully as possible. I’ll be starting with a frame jig and dolly to keep parts where they belong, and return new parts to where they belong. I’m very interested in reading about how others have done major front clip work, and kept the dimensions correct.

Tools, I am at a good starting point. I know I don’t have everything, but I’ll get it done one way or another.

Ultimately, I’m doing this as a project with my son. I’m going this far because I’m looking forward to the challenge, and it being my fathers car means I have no plans on selling it. Not into this for the money....just the fun.
68 XR7

BigNuge
Registered Member

Post by BigNuge » 30 Oct 2017, 10:10

So I think I’m going to pick up a frame dolly this week. I need the car to stay mobile, and the jig/dolly to help me keep dimensions right when I have all the parts.

This is what I’m thinking of getting:https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/au ... gKbvfD_BwE

They have a location in MA, so I could go pick it up and avoid having to pay shipping.
68 XR7

BigNuge
Registered Member

Post by BigNuge » 02 Nov 2017, 18:02

I think I’m going to have the body (stripped down) blasted to help identify problem areas that might not be obvious. How many of you have had this done, how much did you pay?

Thanks,
68 XR7

BossElim69
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BossElim69 » 03 Nov 2017, 05:51

The price is regional specific and depends on what's available in your area. I have a business near me that rents his booth out and I can do a car body blasting myself for around $250. You can expect to pay up to around the $2,000 range. You should go to his web site and read the blasting rules just to educate yourself on the process.

http://www.consolidatedstripping.com/me ... rules.html
Brian Carpenter, President CATS classic Cougar club
67 Cougar road course racer
67 Cougar project car
67 Cougar GT
68 XR7-G trailer queen restoration.
68 Restomod
69 Boss 302 Eliminator
69 XR7 390 survivor
69 XR7 428CJ 4spd
70 Boss 302 Mustang
1993 Harley Davidson
2004 F250 diesel
2004 Jeep Overland 4.7L H.O.
78 Ford F 150 Ranger
08 Cobalt SS

mo2872
Registered Member

Post by mo2872 » 03 Nov 2017, 07:38

Had mine done, was around 1k, ten years ago......(TEN?? Holy crap.)
T3
Yup, that guy, the hooligan.

Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.

BigNuge
Registered Member

Post by BigNuge » 03 Nov 2017, 09:04

Thanks for the info guys. I have a couple emails out to local guys near me, I’ll see what they say. I can rent one of those “dust free” commercial machines for sub $500 for half a day....seems like that might be the way to go.
68 XR7