My Dad's 67 Standard

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
xr7g428
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Dad's 67 Standard

Post by xr7g428 » 04 Aug 2017, 10:25

Your Cougar has already touched three generations. I hope you can stay with it. My son and I started on his Cougar when he was about 13.
Bill Basore, Editor / Publisher
Legendary Cougar Magazine
Currently in the Cat House
'67 XR7 GT 390 4 speed, AC, AM FM, Lime Frost Green
'68 XR7-G 428CJ C6, Tilt-Away, AM, Black Cherry
'68 XR7-G 390 4 speed, Sunroof, Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 GT-E 427 C6 AM Cardinal Red
'68 XR7 resto mod 351W, soon to be AOD, Black Cherry

badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt » 04 Aug 2017, 10:31

Roger M wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 21:57
Thanks for the comments everyone. I do know about the show in Tacoma this weekend. I'd really like to bring my son down to it. The car needs new tires before I can drive it any distance. If we get clearance from the tower(mom), we'll head down. Which day is preferable?

I live in Snohomish, about an hour from Tacoma(if traffic is light)
Roger, I know Snohomish well. My dad's parents lived on Ave. C looking at the High school. It is a nice area/I'm north about a half hour from you. I would recommend coming down for the Sunday show. Maybe plan to be there from 10:00 to 1 or 2:00. Time can get away from you at shows. If you do make it down try to find me.
Look for this Cougar,
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

R Code
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by R Code » 04 Aug 2017, 10:57

Welcome Roger, sounds like a great project. My kids (3) have all grown up messing with old cars in some form or another. It's pretty cool to have stuff in common w/them as the years progress.
- Chris

1967 Std 4 speed conversion
1969 XR-7 "R Code" Convertible

Roger M
Registered Member

Post by Roger M » 04 Aug 2017, 21:37

badcatt wrote:
04 Aug 2017, 10:31
Roger M wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 21:57
Thanks for the comments everyone. I do know about the show in Tacoma this weekend. I'd really like to bring my son down to it. The car needs new tires before I can drive it any distance. If we get clearance from the tower(mom), we'll head down. Which day is preferable?

I live in Snohomish, about an hour from Tacoma(if traffic is light)
Roger, I know Snohomish well. My dad's parents lived on Ave. C looking at the High school. It is a nice area/I'm north about a half hour from you. I would recommend coming down for the Sunday show. Maybe plan to be there from 10:00 to 1 or 2:00. Time can get away from you at shows. If you do make it down try to find me.
Look for this Cougar,
Thanks again everyone, for all of the comments and encouragement.On a good note,today my kds helped me sort out the turn signals(which weren't functioning). We found a website that had a good troubleshooting page on the sequential turn signals. My daughter read off the laptop while my son and I went through each item until we found the culprit. That turned out to be a corroded inline fuse under the dash. The kids we pretty stoked to see the sequential lights in action!

Hey Neal, I saw a car that looked just like yours today, on Hwy 9 heading up the hill towards Clearview.

badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt » 04 Aug 2017, 23:45

That was me. I have a room here in Tacoma for the weekend.I took back roads down.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

Roger M
Registered Member

Post by Roger M » 11 Aug 2017, 12:25

So in getting this beast back on the road, issues pop up as it gets driven. It seems to be running better as I drive it each time. However, the pressure line on the power steering gave way and started leaking. I bough a new one, but getting the lower connection to thread in was a bit of a chore. Not sure how many times I used an expletive..

Anyhow, the steering is back in order. My next issue is some tires...

I appreciate the information that the forum has shared with me so far. Thank you.

Roger M
Registered Member

Post by Roger M » 14 Aug 2017, 15:34

I have a question for the experts here.

I noticed that the vacuum distribution block on the back of the intake manifold is mostly plugged off. Where are the ports supposed to connect to?
One goes to the transmission and one connects to the headlight door system. The distributor vacuum advance goes to the front of the carburetor(bottom).

I've also noted that the secondaries are not opening on the carburetor.

Sir Ed
Registered Member

Post by Sir Ed » 14 Aug 2017, 21:23

How's the interior? Pics?

Thanks,

Ed
1967 Standard, 289 4 barrel

Roger M
Registered Member

Post by Roger M » 07 Sep 2017, 13:33

Sir Ed wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 21:23
How's the interior? Pics?

Thanks,

Ed
Sorry for the late reply.

The Interior needs help. The seats are in good shape, with the drivers being the exception. It needs a new cover for the bottom. The door panels are fair, with some warping and the plastic chrome has flaked off. Carpet is junk and the passenger floor is rusty(VERY). I don't have any interior photos yet.

I've been whittling away at small issues with the car, and it's running pretty good now. The brakes work better, but I'm going to replacing all of the rubber hoses in the system. I found a set of American Racing wheels(with tires) for a very good price on Craigslist. They were much cheaper than buying a set of tires. Overall, so far it's been a headache, as well as a lot of smiles for my son and I.

Roger M
Registered Member

Post by Roger M » 28 Sep 2017, 21:02

Little update on Dads Car.

I’ve been driving it a few times every week, finding something else to fix just about each time the damn thing gets fired up..

I found a door mirror for it. Had to replace the heater core, and learned how to do some fiberglass work in the process. The gauge lights are now functional.

This winter’s projects will be(in no particular order):

Fuel tank sending unit
All rubber brake hoses(3 I believe?)
Replace passenger side floor panel
Carpet
Service window mechanisms
Suspension work...
oh.. and learn how to rebuild C4

It’s been really fun getting this thing up and running with my kid . We’ve both learned a bunch in the last couple months. My son is a fourth grader, and he wrote his whole summer paper just on the Cougar!