My Dad's 67 Standard

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
Roger M
Registered Member

My Dad's 67 Standard

Post by Roger M » 03 Aug 2017, 15:22

Hey eveyone

First off, I'm new here. Thanks for letting me be a part of the community.

Back in the 70's my dad owned a used car lot, so I was fairly fortunate to be able to drive a pretty good variety of cars. Somewhere around 1978 he bought this 1967 Cougar. He was a Ford guy, and always seemed to hold onto Mustang and Cougars for his personal use. This particular car is just a standard painted pale yellow, with a 4V 289 automatic, and factory air. I'm not sure why he kept this, as it wasn't anything special.

I turned 16 that year, and had already bought a 66 Ranchero for my first car. However, I ended up driving the Cougar a bunch through my high school years. I can remember installing a casette deck/amp-equalizer, and some house speaker to fill the back seat... I had a lot of fun driving it, cruising the parks and beaches, and a couple road trips. My memory is a little foggy, but I think I drove it off and on until 1983, when I enlisted in the USMC. That's the last time I recall driving it..

..Until about the year 2000. My dad and I kinda bumped heads a lot before I joined the Marines, so unfortunately, we didn't see much of each other before he passed away. I regret a lot of my behavior towards him during those years and wish I could turn back the clock. Anyhow, forward to 2000, his estate was kinda a mess and my brothers and I had to deal with it. He had a low rent trailer park with an old concrete storage garage below his office/house. It crammed full of his junk that he accumulated over many many years. In the very back corner of this garage, under a bunch of that crap of his, was the 67 Cougar in a pretty sad state of repair.

When I started cleaning out the garage, I noticed the car and the condition it was in. The garage was a real damp place with not much ventilation. There was rust under the back window, and along the bottom of the passenger door. From what my brother told me, it hadn't been run since about 1985. Neither of my sibling showed any interest in the yellow beast, so I decided to get it running and out of there. I changed the oil/filter, sent the carb to get rebuilt, and did a thorough tune up.

Here's a teaser photo

ImageBringing the 67 back to life.. by Lexispops, on Flickr

More to come..

Roger M
Registered Member

Re: My Dad's 67 Standard

Post by Roger M » 03 Aug 2017, 16:03

After that bit of work, it fired up without issue. I drove it outside(the fisrt daylight it had seen in 15 years). The drivers door had been primered and the was a couple of creases in the roof. My mom mention sometime later that a large tree branch fell on it at some point when it was parked in our yard. The original single exhaust was completely rusted out, so it was pretty loud and sounded like crap. I drove to Midas and had a 2.5" dual exhaust installed.

I probably drove it about 250 miles that year before my girlfriend got pregnant. I bought a house after me daughter was born, in 2002. At that point, I drove the car to the new home, and there it has been for the last 15 years. It's been buried under my own crap in the garage slowly deteriorating. Marriage and a couple kids took priority over my dads sad little cat.

Forward to a couple weeks ago. My nine year old son has taken a liking to automobiles, vintage ones especially. He's been egging me on for awhile now to get the Cougar running. We spent a couple hours clearing out the stuff on and around the car. The only thing I really had to do to get it running was charge the battery. A few shots of ether and it fired off, not very smoothly though. The plug wires were shot and I could see them arcing across each other. I had some used wires from another vehicle, so I replaced most of them. I'll get to doing a full tune soon..ish.

When I tried to back out of the garage, the car wouldn't budge. The rear brakes were frozen. After a bunch of cursing and some bloody knuckles, I was able to remove the drums. The shoes were crumbling apart, the drums were real rusty, and the wheel cylinders were completely shot. I replaced those items and had the drums turned, and now the brakes work... sort of.

ImageUntitled by Lexispops, on Flickr

Here's the car after getting it out of the garage.

cougarrand
Registered Member

Post by cougarrand » 03 Aug 2017, 18:02

Thats a good start!
Randy Feuillerat
67 XR7 GT 390 4V
68 390 X code XR7
68 XR7-G 302 2V
70 XR7 Convt 351 2V
70 Eliminator 351 4V 4 speed

badcatt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by badcatt » 03 Aug 2017, 19:21

Roger, I can see by the license plate that you are(or were) in Washington state. WHat part? And do you know there is a Cougar show next Sunday in Tacoma Wa?
Go to http://www.cascadecougarclub.com/ for more info. Even though your car may not be a show car we would love to have it come out. If you don't fean the car is ready for that kind of drive bring your son over and introduce your self and enjoy the cars.
Neal Jacobson.
1970 XR-7 White "Ginger"
1970 XR-7 Convertible Blue
1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue "Up Beat" interior
1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
See ya on the hiways,
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,
they are an entire banquet
- Mark Twain -

1967 S Code
Registered Member

Post by 1967 S Code » 03 Aug 2017, 19:47

Roger welcome to the Classic Cougar Community. Enjoy the ride that comes with owning a classic Cougar.
Steven

Our Cougars

1967 Standard
Dan Gurney Special

6.5 Litre, Black / Black, AC Whisperaire, Am/FM, Sports Console,
Front and Rear Bumper Guards, Clock

1968 XR7-G
302 4V, Lime Frost / Black Leather, AM/FM, Black Vinyl, Tilt-A-Way
Heavy Duty Suspension, Power Disc Brakes, Rader Wheels

1968 XR7-G Hertz
390 4V, Black Cherry/ Dark Red Leather, Black Vinyl, Sunroof, Tilt-A-Way,
Cruise, Rear Defrost, AC Whisperaire

1968 Convertible Conversion "Top Cat"
Standard, 302 4V, XR7G Console, XR7G Front Valance

Roger M
Registered Member

Post by Roger M » 03 Aug 2017, 21:57

badcatt wrote:
03 Aug 2017, 19:21
Roger, I can see by the license plate that you are(or were) in Washington state. WHat part? And do you know there is a Cougar show next Sunday in Tacoma Wa?
Go to http://www.cascadecougarclub.com/ for more info. Even though your car may not be a show car we would love to have it come out. If you don't fean the car is ready for that kind of drive bring your son over and introduce your self and enjoy the cars.
Thanks for the comments everyone. I do know about the show in Tacoma this weekend. I'd really like to bring my son down to it. The car needs new tires before I can drive it any distance. If we get clearance from the tower(mom), we'll head down. Which day is preferable?

I live in Snohomish, about an hour from Tacoma(if traffic is light)

ccarney69
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ccarney69 » 03 Aug 2017, 22:00

Cool story and cool Cat! Your gonna owe your son big time when your cruising down the highway! And the fact that your Cat will be owned by three generations in the same family one day is the best!
1968 GT-E 427 Standard Nordic Blue/Black Décor, driver
1969 XR7 R Code 4 Speed Yellow/Black Top Black Interior, current project no.1
1969 XR7 Q Code C6 Green/Black Top Dark Ivy Green Interior, current project no. 2
CCOA #8275
MACC

DieselD
Registered Member

Post by DieselD » 04 Aug 2017, 09:01

Awesome story! Keep the pictures and work coming. Should be a cool project for you
1968 Standard, 302 2v, 3 speed.

SPLINEHEAD
Registered Member

Post by SPLINEHEAD » 04 Aug 2017, 09:19

Welcome. First and foremost in my mind is, Thank You For Your Service To Our Country! Meanwhile, it is a great story and good luck with your Cougar adventure or ummm, addiction.

Gary Hill
Pole Cat
1969 XR7 390 S code 4bbl C6 3.0 TrueTrac rear end

mfc133
Registered Member

Post by mfc133 » 04 Aug 2017, 10:07

Always neat to see a car with a story behind it. Sounds like you've got a fun project for you and your son to enjoy together, good luck with it!
-Mike

1968 Cougar Standard, 302 4V, auto, Madras Blue