Augusta Green '68 base

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Re: Augusta Green '68 base

Post by Steve68Cougar » 06 Jul 2017, 20:33

Well, apparently Photobucket just went from free to $400/year, so I'll have to apologize for all of the blank spaces that used to be pictures. I'll see what I can do for finding a different hosting site.

Edit: Looks like I'll switch over to Flickr. I may try to edit at least some of my earlier posts at some point so some of the pictures show up. I won't miss trying to deal with Photobucket.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green
08 Mustang Bullitt - Dark Highland Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 10 Dec 2017, 17:15

It's been a while since I've worked on the '68, so I decided to tackle one of the holes I made in the cowl. Here's where I started:

Here's welded up with a little filler:

And here's after a coat of paint:

It was still pretty wet when I took the picture. I may end up going back and touching it up a bit. Next up is the passenger side. I ran out of gas for my MIG welder, so I'll have to get that refilled before I get too much more done on it. One thing I started looking at a while ago is the production dates stamped into parts. It appears like it was almost exactly 50 years ago that the parts started getting stamped. The rear fender apron on the driver's side was marked 12-12, so it will officially be 50 on Tuesday.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 26 Dec 2017, 17:45

I got the passenger side done:

My next step was to weld up the inner shock tower flanges like the big block cars had done. Here's the passenger side:

I'll probably forego the wrap around plates for now. I think with the dog bone on the outside, these flanges on the inside, and an export brace, it should be stiff enough for what I'm going to do with it. I still need to do quite a bit of cleanup on the engine compartment before doing a little more painting. After that I'll look at putting the radiator support back on.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 06 Jan 2018, 16:00

I decided to go ahead and get the radiator support put back on before I did any more painting.

Rather than remove the whole front crossmember, I spliced the support into it with most of the original part remaining. I mainly didn't want to remove that many spot welds and take a chance on everything moving around. Here's the splice on the passenger side:

I've got quite a bit of clean up work to do yet, but for the most part the welding is complete (but not the grinding). Once I get things painted I'll be able to start reassembly.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 16 Jan 2018, 20:44

Here's today part that's having a birthday:

This is on the underside of the rear decklid. Fortunately it's still in pretty nice shape, so it'll probably stay like it is until the complete car gets a paint job. Otherwise I'm working on getting things cleaned up in the engine compartment and front suspension.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 31 Jan 2018, 23:02

According to my door tag, yesterday should have been my car's 50th birthday. Here's a picture of it in about 1995, which is about as good as it's looked since I've had it:

I've spent the last week or so scraping undercoating off the car and I just found a little more rust at the rear of the car around the bumper mounts. I'm just getting started tearing into that.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 10 Feb 2018, 20:51

I'm still working on getting rust out of the back end of the car. There's some old body work that's going to have to stay for now, but I did replace a little sheetmetal on the trunk drop down panel.

I still need to do a little more grinding and add a hole for the backup light wiring. I'm not going to spend too much more time on it, as it's under the car and the entire panel will eventually get replaced when I put new quarter panels on it.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 25 Feb 2018, 18:57

I think I'm done painting the engine compartment now. Here's what it looks like before anything gets added:

I also started putting the front suspension back together a bit. I still need to get new rotors, so they're not completely assembled yet:

The strut rod had been painted blue previously, which I don't think was stock. I decided to keep it blue just for a little contrast.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 04 Mar 2018, 10:20

I got the power steering control valve rebuilt.  The aluminum end cap had been hit hard enough previously to leave a little hole in it. You
can still see the marks it left in the control valve body. Fortunately my TIG skills were good enough to plug up the hole.  Here's the completed unit:

The rotors came in, so I got the assembly back together again.  Obviously I still have to install the spring and associated parts before it's completed, but it's at least another step forward.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Bryan Owsley
Registered Member

Post by Bryan Owsley » 04 Mar 2018, 11:07

Steve,

I'm working on a '67 project right now. What kind of paint did you use for the engine compartment? I'm getting ready to pull my engine and clean up the engine compartment soon. Great work!

-Bryan