Augusta Green '68 base

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
Caleb
Registered Member

Re: Augusta Green '68 base

Post by Caleb » 02 Apr 2017, 11:38

Your welds are starting to look good. I think you started off looking better than anything i can do but the last couple you've posted you can really tell you have been practicing. I hadn't heard about the fires up here. Looks crazy. Glad to hear that there's people helping the community out. Keep us posted with your build, it looks like it's coming along nicely

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 02 Apr 2017, 14:58

Thanks. Consistency is still not on my side, but at least there's progress. I'm glad my welder is a MIG/TIG combo. If I screw up too bad with the MIG I can go back and make it look a little better with the TIG. Today was a good day for the Cougar. My wife and I took a couple hour drive over to Missouri and picked up a few interior pieces. I've been talking about switching the interior over to black, but was a little concerned with being able to find good parts without spending a fortune. Thanks to Craigslist and a friend, I found someone that had not only one but two sets of door panels! Also included in the deal were a set and a half of the rear quarter pieces (he's still looking for the missing one). My info is pretty sketchy, so correct me if I'm wrong, but these appear to be '67 non-XR7 panels. There apparently wasn't a base/decor differentiation like there was on the '68? Anyway, they wouldn't be the only '67 parts on the car. I suppose if someone has a nice set of '68 panels I'd be open to a trade, but these will work if that doesn't happen. I've still got a few pieces to get, but this is a really good start. Here's what they look like after a little cleaning up:

A couple of the door panels will need new backer boards, but they all pretty much look like the front one. Nothing is concourse quality, but they'll look plenty good for my driver.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green
08 Mustang Bullitt - Dark Highland Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 03 Apr 2017, 19:44

Today I fixed the rear frame rail on the driver's side. A previous owner installed a set of traction bars that had tabs welded onto them for a u-bolt. The tab ended up getting into the frame rail (same for the other side):

Here's the after:

One other thing I figured out today is that the differential is of the small bearing variety. I had thought '59 Ranchero differentials were big bearing units, but now I know at least not all of them are. It did measure 57.25" from flange to flange as I was expecting (2" narrower than stock).
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

guitar74
Registered Member

Post by guitar74 » 05 Apr 2017, 17:09

There's always something. Still it's good to see the progress.

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 05 Apr 2017, 21:25

Here's the other side before:

and after:

68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 11 Apr 2017, 20:16

Here's the latest before and after done in one picture:

The one on the left was in just about as bad of shape as the one on the right. In case you don't recognize them, they are the headlight buckets. It's apparently not uncommon for the rear outside seam to rust through. My '67 parts car was bubbled pretty bad in that area on both sides, and the '68 was rusted through on both sides. I still have a hole to add below the oval cutout, but otherwise it just needs to be sandblasted and painted. The other assembly will take a bit more work, as there was more metal missing from being rusted. At least I have the '67 piece to look at.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 13 Apr 2017, 20:52

I pulled the other headlight bucket apart and here's what was left of the side plate:

After repairing both the main and side plates, I got them welded back together. Here's the completed metal work:

I'll need to do quite a bit of cleanup work before painting them, but at least the metal work is out of the way.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

guitar74
Registered Member

Post by guitar74 » 14 Apr 2017, 05:27

Nice work, Steve. You sure are knocking it out.

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 04 Jun 2017, 15:37

Seems like it's been a while since I've made any progress, but I did manage to get another step done. When I bought the car the gauge cluster looked like this:

I'm not ready to spend the big bucks on getting one rechromed, so I'm borrowing a few cues from my '08 Bullitt and will switch some of the chrome over to a more "satin" look. Here's the after shot:

After some thought, I think I'll end up going back with the 289 for now and just work on getting it back on the road. The one major change I'll end up going through with now will be switching the interior over to black. I may have to get a little creative with the headliner (I won't pull it until the windows are out for the future repaint), but otherwise I'll get some painting done along with new seat covers and carpet. I still have to pull the trigger on getting everything ordered, so it might be a bit before I make a lot of progress.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Caleb
Registered Member

Post by Caleb » 04 Jun 2017, 16:46

It's about time you got some more done. Just kidding. Work looks awesome like usual. It would be interesting to see the dash in person. It almost shows up white in the pictures. Keep it up, I look forward to seeing the progress