Augusta Green '68 base

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Re: Augusta Green '68 base

Post by Steve68Cougar »

All I could find quickly was this video from about 10 years ago. It still looks about the same, but is running a little faster. The audio just doesn't do it justice. It sounds REALLY nice in real life. This car is one of the reasons I'd like to do an FE swap with my car (in spite of the headaches).

https://youtu.be/IMmN8DLFTr0
68 Cougar -Augusta Green
08 Mustang Bullitt - Dark Highland Green

pellets4fuel
Registered Member

Post by pellets4fuel »

And he did that with a 390? Must have it "hopped" up pretty good. He even brought the fronts off the pavement!
David Siedschlag
#16306 1967 Lime Frost S-code, Ivy gold interior built 11-1-66
3.25 Limited slip, 4-speed. Courtesy lights, sports console, whisper-aire, AM-8track, deluxe belts.
1989 Toyota truck, woodgas powered
22re 4x4

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar »

Yes, it's still a 390. He's NHRA Stock class legal, so the number of modifications is actually relatively small. It has to be stock compression ratio, factory heads, factory intake, and factory lift on the cam. I think he's still running C6AE-R heads that meet all of the factory specifications. The valves and seats can have multiple angles on them, but otherwise the ports and such have to be untouched. The camshaft can be any duration, but the lift has to be the factory approved number. He is also able to run the same carburetor as the 428CJ cars, as it was accepted a long time ago as an "over the counter" option from Ford. There are a few other approved deviations like being bored (I don't know what their max acceptable number is), but that's really pretty much it other than some serious time and effort spent blueprinting it. He used to own his own mechanic shop and has spent a significant amount of time working with several other engine builders that have or have had NHRA records, so he knows his stuff.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Allen68
Registered Member

Post by Allen68 »

A low 10 with a 390 ! Some what (stock ? ) I live in Bakersfield California ( famoso) drag strip . Spent some time years ago at some illegal street races also 😛but there was a guy who had a 69 mach1 428 4sp not overly built and would run 10.40s if my memory is correct. There was a guy with a 64 Chevelle (454) 4sp and they would literally bump door handles ! 😝

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar »

Haven't posted anything here in a while. Today was the first major road trip in a long, long time. I went to the car show in my hometown, which is about 120 miles from where I live now. The total trip was about 250 miles or so. Didn't have any issues and looks like it got around 14mpg running 65-70 most of the way. One picture is at the car show and the others are at the high school where the car spent quite a bit of time about 30 years ago.

Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Image[/url]
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Cougars_R_Grr8
Registered Member

Post by Cougars_R_Grr8 »

Nice
'68 Standard Cougar - 302 2v F Code ***NEW***