Augusta Green '68 base

From dusty barn find to daily driver, it seems our cars are never really done. This is the place to share your progress on your project car. We will celebrate your victories and commiserate over your tragedies. But most of all this is a great place to learn!
Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Re: Augusta Green '68 base

Post by Steve68Cougar » 04 Mar 2018, 13:38

I've been following what you're doing on your '67, too. Looks like it's going to be a nice one! I have been using POR-15 Top Coat in Chassis Black. It's probably a little shinier than the original, but I think it still looks pretty good. I used it partially because I'm working with quite a bit of original sheetmetal that isn't necessarily pristine. It's designed to go directly over metal and do a little bit better job of preventing additional rust than conventional paint (at least when surface prep is less than optimal). I'll find out just how durable it is as time goes by, but people usually report pretty good results. I painted the differential on my Bullitt a number of years ago (regular POR-15 base coat with Top Coat over the top) and it's held up quite well.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green
08 Mustang Bullitt - Dark Highland Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 05 Mar 2018, 19:55

With all of the talk about the aftermarket drop brackets being weak, I decided to do a little "upgrade".  Here's what it looked like before:

and here it is now tied into the torque box gusset:

I took it back off to clean it up and paint it black to match the rest of the underside of the car.  Hopefully this will keep anything from moving around.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 10 Mar 2018, 18:14

Today was one of those nerve wracking days. Fortunately everything went alright and here's the end result:

Using spring compressors on the front springs always makes me nervous, so it's always nice to have the job done.

One other thing I got knocked off the list is getting a coat of paint on the underside of the car. While it's far from perfect, it definitely looks a lot better.

68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Caleb
Registered Member

Post by Caleb » 17 Mar 2018, 10:43

Coming along awesome. You're making me feel lazy.

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 25 Mar 2018, 15:42

Thanks. Seems like it's taking a long time.

I've started putting a few things together, including in and around the engine compartment. I got rid of the aftermarket fluid reservoir and went with a stock one. I also got my ignition box repositioned and the voltage regulator mounted.

It looks a little better than it did before.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 03 Apr 2018, 20:21

Here's my pictures for today:

For some reason the pumpkin looks REALLY orange in this picture.  It looks more like a typical primer in real life.  My pinion seal was leaking so I changed it out.  Hopefully my procedure was good enough that I didn't screw up the crush sleeve.

My "nearly all original" car has a '59 Ranchero differential with '67 Cougar brakes and an early 70's F150 3rd member (3.70 gear w/ Traction Lok).  I wasn't able to find any brake lines specifically for the '59 Ranchero differential, so I ordered some '65/'66 Mustang brake lines since they are also for a 57.25" wide axle.  It wasn't a perfect fit, but with a bit of gentle massaging they worked. 

OK, maybe the car isn't very original. :)  Heck, the engine block is from a '67 Cougar, the heads are off of a '69 Fairlane and the transmission is from a '71 Cougar.  Before too long it'll have a master cylinder from a '74 Maverick, too.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 05 Apr 2018, 20:43

Here's what can happen when you decide to "modify" the transmission tunnel so you can install a 460 in a '68:

The previous owner decided to go "down and back" with the engine relative to using factory style mounts. Fortunately I had usable pieces from a '67, so I didn't have to buy a new housing. I figured out the issue when I started putting the housing back in. A few hits with the hammer and it fit back into place.

I'm a little concerned about ripping up my motor mount(s), so I decided to build a strap to help keep it from separating. I may make another one and increase the thickness a bit, but it seems like it should work. I'd just throw a new motor mount at it and not worry about it, but my mounts are from a '67, so that's a bit of an adventure.

68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 14 Apr 2018, 20:16

I did the initial fit up on the brake system today. Much like the rest of the car, everything is mix-n-match. When I switched from front drums to discs, I decided to keep them manual instead of switching to power. I went with the mid 70's Maverick master cylinder and instead of the standard proportioning valve I switched over to an adjustable valve for the rear. One other thing I did back when I drag raced it was to put a line lock in it. I've kept that "just in case" I decide to run it again or feel the need to make some tire smoke. I still need to bench bleed the new master cylinder, so once that's done I'll put my flare fitting making skills to the test. If the color for the lines (to the front) look a little different, it's because I used copper-nickel lines. After doing some research, they seemed to be a good option. They're significantly easier to form and the burst strength is nearly the same as standard steel tubing. Here's what the routing looks like:

One other thing I decided to do was paint the back seat. I've been pretty impressed with the SEM Color Match paint, so I decided since it'll be a while until I get new seats that I'd go ahead and paint the back. It's there basically for looks, so I'm not too worried about wearing. I'll probably go one more round of paint on them, but I thought they look pretty nice even with what I've got on it. Here's the bottom part:

68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 16 Apr 2018, 20:20

I decided to start working on the headliner replacement today, so I took both the front and rear glass out. I managed to get them removed without doing any damage to the glass. Hopefully I can say the same when it comes time to reinstall it. I've got a bit of work to do before then, though. Here's a picture of the back glass out and the package tray removed. This is the last bit of original paint that has never seen the light of day since it was built 50 years ago.

68 Cougar -Augusta Green

Steve68Cougar
Registered Member

Post by Steve68Cougar » 21 Apr 2018, 20:30

I got the headliner in place, but haven't put any of the accessories (sun visors, etc.) back in. Here's what it looks like:

As you can see, it's not perfect. I don't think it turned out too bad, though. My thought is that it's easy to install, but hard to get perfect. I still need to run the heat gun over a few spots to get some more wrinkles out.
68 Cougar -Augusta Green